sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2023 8:45 pm  #1

Q107 Wants Your Opinion Of Radio In Online Survey

There's a link on its website to an online survey about your radio habits, although it's not really specific to Q107. It comes from a U.S. company and asks a series of specific questions about your media habits. You can certainly tell it's from down south, because some of the questions it asks include responses like "Hulu" and other U.S.-only services you can't get in Canada. And it also wants to know if you're a cable subscriber, and mentions Fios, a U.S. only firm. It then gives you choices to fill in your answers.

The major thrust appears to be how often you listen per week, what you listen on and - this may be the real point of it - whether you'd pay for a service like the station that sent you to the survey page. 

Some sample questions:

-How many hours on an average WEEKDAY (Monday-Friday) do you use/listen to any local AM/FM radio stations (using a regular radio OR audio stream on any device)?

-How many hours on an average WEEKDAY (Monday-Friday) do you watch any TV or any other type of video programming (broadcast TV, cable TV, on-demand, video stream) on any screen (regular TV, mobile device)? 

-What percentage of your overall TV or other video viewing takes place on-demand – using a DVR, on-demand video, or a service like Netflix or Hulu?

There are also queries about your in-car listening habits. But here are two that are perhaps the most interesting of all - and may just be the point of the entire thing. 

-How interested are you in watching a live, online VIDEO stream of your favorite radio personality/show?

-Suppose THE STATION THAT SENT YOU THIS SURVEY offered a COMMERCIAL-FREE version of the station available as an online stream (via mobile app, computer, laptop, etc.) – how likely would you be to pay a small monthly subscription fee ($3 to $5 monthly) to access this service?

The thing takes about 10 minutes to fill out. If you're interested, the link is here.

January 22, 2023 2:06 pm  #2

Re: Q107 Wants Your Opinion Of Radio In Online Survey

I filled out this survey and while interesting it does have flaws.  Even though it appears to be a US company that put it together, appears they did customize it a bit for the Canadian market.  They just didn't do a very good job of this.  If you want accurate info on radio/media/audio habits in Canada please don't do it half assed.  I think Corus should have been more attentive on this.

Both Crave and Radio Player Canada come up in the survey, as does Stingray for video music.  Crave and Radio Player Canada are not available in the US without a VPN, so this means they did likely customize the questions somewhat.  However CBC Gem or CBC Music doesn't appear anywhere, so anyone taking the survey would need to remember to mark them in "other." 

Since Crave was offered as an option for streaming, I was surprised that STACK wasn't on the list.  This is the Corus streamer in the same corporate family as Q107. And Stingray appears as an option for video music but not as an audio service like SiriusXM.

Most people doing the survey would likely see it on the Q107 website. The survey rightly or wrongly seems to assume that this is your favourite station.  It didn't really give you much of an opportunity to mark down other AM/FM options that you might listen to other than  "this station that sent you the survey."   Also no area that I saw for comments.

Anyway, if they are going to do a survey for radio/media habits in Canada, it should have been a little more "in tune" to the Canadian market and Corus should have insisted on this before purchasing.  Like I said, they appeared to go about half the way on this, which will make for less accurate information and results.

The biggest flaw will be when I entered "retired" for occupation and my age.  Welcome to the "nice but not important" discount bin.  Even though Q likely has many listeners 55+ we won't carry near the weight of 25-54.  Hope they noticed that I plan to buy a new car this year! 

Last edited by paterson1 (January 22, 2023 2:25 pm)

January 22, 2023 3:02 pm  #3

It is somewhat scandalous how often that over 55+ market is ignored. They're generally the ones with a large reserve of money saved up, either from years of hard work, investments, pensions or sales of property. (Not to mention inheritance as their own parents leave this mortal coil.) Many (but admittedly not all) have dollars to spend. But advertisers don't care about that demo, thinking younger people are not brand loyal, so if they can grab them early, they may have customers for another 40 years. 

I think this is where Moses Znaimer is aiming his financial guns. He goes after the older folks, knowing that they may not be the most desirable for advertisers, but they will spend their income on things they want, whereas a younger crowd may not have the money for trips, new TVs, furniture, cars, etc. etc.  

It will never change and the reign of the Baby Boomers is definitely in decline. But while they're still around, I believe advertisers are missing the boat on this market, which can be plenty lucrative if they float them the right bait. I know most will think that naive, but there's a lot of money to be made if the pitch is right. And oh yeah, for the most part, they still listen to the radio. The ones they're currently aiming at may be elsewhere.

January 22, 2023 9:49 pm  #4

I did the survey also - except the one I did was from 91.5 The Beat Kitchener - also a Corus station.

January 23, 2023 12:37 am  #5

Surveys are only as good as the people who skew, er, write them. Most questions have the skill level equivalent of "Do these jeans make my butt look big."

January 23, 2023 1:41 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

It is somewhat scandalous how often that over 55+ market is ignored. They're generally the ones with a large reserve of money saved up, either from years of hard work, investments, pensions or sales of property. (Not to mention inheritance as their own parents leave this mortal coil.) Many (but admittedly not all) have dollars to spend. But advertisers don't care about that demo, thinking younger people are not brand loyal, so if they can grab them early, they may have customers for another 40 years. 

I think this is where Moses Znaimer is aiming his financial guns. He goes after the older folks, knowing that they may not be the most desirable for advertisers, but they will spend their income on things they want, whereas a younger crowd may not have the money for trips, new TVs, furniture, cars, etc. etc.  

It will never change and the reign of the Baby Boomers is definitely in decline. But while they're still around, I believe advertisers are missing the boat on this market, which can be plenty lucrative if they float them the right bait. I know most will think that naive, but there's a lot of money to be made if the pitch is right. And oh yeah, for the most part, they still listen to the radio. The ones they're currently aiming at may be elsewhere.

When was the last time you tried a new brand because you were compelled to because of an ad you heard on radio?  I can't remember the last time I was.