sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2023 7:52 pm  #2

Re: David Crosby Has Died At 81

Cue Eric Alper in overdrive appearance mode...ย 

January 19, 2023 7:59 pm  #3

The 'Zelig' of rock music.

January 19, 2023 8:33 pm  #4

Shoot. He was OK, despite his flaws. In the end he was not a wretched c-nt like Stills, and Graham Nash.

January 19, 2023 9:06 pm  #5

AspectRatio wrote:

๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
ย 

January 19, 2023 9:13 pm  #6

cash wrote:

AspectRatio wrote:

๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
ย 

Fair to point out that I believe stations call him - he doesn't call them. But yes, I expect you'll see and hear a lot of him on this passing. He's on the iHeart Radio Network as I type this, and I believe I saw him on CP24 before the 6 PM news.

January 19, 2023 9:36 pm  #7

Chrisphen wrote:

Shoot. He was OK, despite his flaws. In the end he was not a wretched - - - - like Stills, and Graham Nash.

The missing word in the quote above should have gone missing before you posted it, Chrisphen.
ย 

January 19, 2023 9:45 pm  #8

mike marshall wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

Shoot. He was OK, despite his flaws. In the end he was not a wretched - - - - like Stills, and Graham Nash.

The missing word in the quote above should have gone missing before you posted it, Chrisphen.
ย 

Mm. Some distracting pearls are irresistible to clutch. Lesson learned.

January 20, 2023 12:22 am  #9

Anyone who was a member of the Byrds, CSN and CSNY can't be over-rated. Not to mention his work in the duo of Crosby/Nash. His first solo album is excellent.ย 

I followed him on Twitter and loved his often snarky tweets. An important part of the 60's counter-culture and he continued to support the ethos till the end and if I recall correctly Eric Alper would sometimes tweet to him or reply to his tweets.

Last edited by Fitz (January 20, 2023 12:24 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 20, 2023 6:12 am  #10

One thing to add about David Crosby. Aside from his lead vocals he was an amazing harmony singer in the Byrd's and beyond. Also too bad that in the last 6 years or so he had a falling out with Graham Nash and Neil Young for different reasons and a shame that they never got to reconcile.

Anyway regarding his harmonies, Here is an example. from the Flying Burrito Bros first album The Gilded Palace of Sin. Gram Parsons lead vocals and David Crosby and Chris Hillman on harmony. Hillman had been a Byrd along with Crosby and Gram joined the Byrds for one album after Crosby left ( was fired). Hillman and Parsons were members of the Burritos and Crosby was not andย never got a credit on this Burrito track due to contractual reasons. but the song is a country-rock or country-R & B classic from 1969:

ย 

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 20, 2023 2:34 pm  #11

https://twitter.com/dusttodigital/status/1616265202483224576?t=FDjvSGYSPM-AkT6VtPC8lQ&s=19

the essence of how David Crosby perceived himself and his place in the world, in this less than a minute clip from the doc "David Crosby: Remember My Name"

the twitter account Dust-to-Digital is brilliant, well worth following for hard to find old bits of recordings and film of groundbreaking artists from the 1920's up to present day.

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ also to 1010's Moore In The Morning show this morning for the nod to David Crosby more than once during the show, even as bumper music.

January 23, 2023 1:51 am  #13

AspectRatio wrote:

One of the only two people who know about music in Canada, apparently.
I'd rather hear from someone who was alive or old enough to buy records during the artist's entire career.