sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2023 12:35 am  #1

The American Morning Drive Radio Show That Airs In Toronto

This isn't especially new but once again, since I never listen to this station, it surprised me. The morning show on Evanov's low powered Proud FM is from the U.S.

Elvis Duran broadcasts from Z100 in New York and is heard mostly in the United States. But also right here in Toronto, where it's been part of the AM drive on the FM outlet since October 2020. 

I know sometimes stations simulcast shows from other places, but I'm pretty sure most of them are from elsewhere in Canada. I'm hard pressed to think of a current morning show in Toronto that comes from south of the border.

Proud FM does not have much of an audience or the power to really get very far, although Evanov has certainly tried in the past to get the 103.9 signal a boost. So far, all those attempts have failed. 

The Elvis Duran show currently airs on around 75 stations. It doesn't look like Evanov gives CIRR-FM or its website much attention. The Elvis Duran page on Proud FM has a message from the host and his sidekicks, and then underneath says this:

Somebody might want to fix that.

January 19, 2023 9:30 am  #2

Re: The American Morning Drive Radio Show That Airs In Toronto

I believe the message is a remnant from an improperly built WordPress web page.  It is a "text" section on the web page that needs fixing.

January 19, 2023 9:36 am  #3

It's a time honoured and common place holder for template pages, but it really should never be seen by the public.

So what does "lorum ipsum dolor etc." actually mean? The answer may surprise you. 

January 19, 2023 9:48 am  #4

Well Bill Carroll did host AM640 afternoon drive for several years from Los Angeles.   What irritated most was when Bill would go into detail about day-to-day Toronto issues like traffic & how to solve them when he didn't live here & had no current day-to-day experience here.    

January 19, 2023 10:03 am  #5

93.5 tried to use an American morning show in it's Flow FM days...it did not last all that long. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 19, 2023 10:11 am  #6

And of course, Q107 famously tried to import Howard Stern, with disastrous results. 

January 19, 2023 11:02 am  #7

Probably are running Elvis' show to save money.  Musically Proud 103.9 sounds quite a bit like Z103.5. Given the technical limitations, I wonder how they are doing financially and how popular the station is.  According to Radio-Locator they should be kicking out about 40 miles/64km from downtown.  Do they get this far out?

January 19, 2023 12:29 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

Probably are running Elvis' show to save money.  Musically Proud 103.9 sounds quite a bit like Z103.5. Given the technical limitations, I wonder how they are doing financially and how popular the station is.  According to Radio-Locator they should be kicking out about 40 miles/64km from downtown.  Do they get this far out?

I live in the northern most part of North York. I can barely get them on my Sangean radio (which has great DX on both AM & FM) even with the antenna fully extended. In fact, Zoomer's 96.7, which is supposed to be for "downtown Toronto" where I'm not, comes in very well in comparison. 

You may remember in 2018 the bizarre plan to shift Z103.5 to 103.7 and let ProudFM take that stronger signal. The CRTC, of course, said no. 

January 19, 2023 1:13 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

I live in the northern most part of North York. I can barely get them on my Sangean radio (which has great DX on both AM & FM) even with the antenna fully extended. In fact, Zoomer's 96.7, which is supposed to be for "downtown Toronto" where I'm not, comes in very well in comparison. 

You may remember in 2018 the bizarre plan to shift Z103.5 to 103.7 and let ProudFM take that stronger signal. The CRTC, of course, said no. 

If they were smart, they would add CIRR-FM as HD2 on either CIDC or upgrade CKDX-FM Lite 88.5's transmitter to digital and add it there as the CRTC currently does not regulate digital broadcasting.  They could also upgrade CIRR-FM's transmitter to digital and add the other station on HD2 which would help with downtown coverage.