sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2023 9:38 pm  #1

Craig Ferguson Coming Back To Late Night TV With A Show About TV

Anyone here who remembers Craig Ferguson's bizarre and very strange late night talk show will be excited to hear that the comedian is coming back to TV. He'll be hosting a post primetime half hour nightly yakker called "Channel Surf," which we may or may not get to see here. Unlike his CBS program, this one will be syndicated, which means it won't necessarily be in every market. 

If you never saw Ferguson's 12:30 AM effort on the Eye Network, you missed one of the most surreal and oddest shows in television history.

His sidekick was a talking gay robot skeleton, he would welcome a guest to the couch and then take his research cards and questions and rip them up in front of the person, before starting their chat. He would deliberately swear to annoy the censors, who would cover his mouth and bleep it out using the flag of a foreign country. A pantomime horse named "Secretariat" would frequently appear out of nowhere and run through the set for no particular reason.

(You can see both the robot and the "horse" in the opening credits below. Always loved the theme about leaving the TV on and falling asleep at work instead. After all, "tomorrow's just your future yesterday.")

It was just that kind of surreal show. If the new one is even close to that anti-talk show talk show he did, it could be great. Especially because he's going to take on the week's TV programs on the networks. 

“I wanted to do Channel Surf because I think television is ready for the return of the silly/ funny/ occasional lip-synching puppet format. Also, it’s a TV show which contains clips of questionable moments from other TV shows thus creating a spectacular visual turducken of stupid.”

I'm in! I just hope it's a go and someone buys it for this market. 

Syndicated Late-Night Talk Show With Craig Ferguson Shopped By Sony Pictures TV For Fall 2023

January 17, 2023 10:35 pm  #2

Re: Craig Ferguson Coming Back To Late Night TV With A Show About TV

Can see why it's only half an hour.  That will be a challenge to do a show four or five days a week highlighting and talking about television.

Since it is syndicated there will be some flexibility when the program runs.  It may not be scheduled for late night everywhere.  I could see Bell's Comedy Network running Craig's program. 

January 17, 2023 11:19 pm  #3

Never caught Ferguson's TV show but his standup comedy is dynamite .. I'd give his new show a try : )) .. 

Last edited by g121 (January 17, 2023 11:19 pm)

January 18, 2023 12:57 am  #4

Everybody's doing the Secretariat Dance! 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

January 18, 2023 11:36 am  #5

g121 wrote:

Never caught Ferguson's TV show but his standup comedy is dynamite .. I'd give his new show a try : )) .. 

Saw Craig live once, he was very funny.  His live show was a bit more adult than the TV show. He was good at localizing some material and had a impressive knowledge of Canada.   I will watch the new show whenever appears.