sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2023 2:29 pm  #1

Mark Burns?

Looking to SOWNY members for help with a question related to this past weekend's RadioWest.ca Aircheck of the Week.  Thank you

"Is this the same Mark Burns that was a Toronto TV and radio broadcaster for many years?"  Mark doesn't have a listing on Gord Lansdell's vancouverbroadcasters.com.

Here's the link to the aircheck -

https://radiowest.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12864853#p12864853

Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .

January 16, 2023 2:39 pm  #2

Re: Mark Burns?

I unfortunately don't have an answer for you, but a guy using the name Mark Burns gave me my first shot in a radio station in Toronto. 

When I met him in 1974, I was barely old enough to drive and didn't even have a licence in any case at that point. He gave me a shot at being an unpaid trainee operator at CHIN-AM, of all places, where I learned how to operate the board (remember turn pots?) and see how a radio station worked. (Well, it was CHIN, so almost worked!) He was doing the morning show in English at the time. 

My Mark Burns later moved on to a gig reading news at CFTR, and after that I lost track of him. I don't know where that masked man went, but I've always wanted to thank him! I wonder if it's the same guy? 

January 16, 2023 3:07 pm  #3

I worked with a Mark Burns in the mid 70s at CJFM -FM in Montreal.

January 16, 2023 4:25 pm  #4

I think that may have been my guy! I heard he left CFTR to go to Montreal. What happened to him after that, I can't say. 

January 16, 2023 7:04 pm  #5

I worked  with Mark Burns at CFTR but I can't confirm the date. I thought it was '73 but could have been sometime late in'74. He did go the CJFM in Montreal and I don't know where he went after. I don't think it's the 'QM Mark Burns as the voice sounds different

January 16, 2023 8:11 pm  #6

May be of interest - here's an article from The Montreal Gazette of August 2, 1985 on the CJFM Mark Burns.

January 16, 2023 11:01 pm  #7

There is an Aircheck on Marc Denis' CKGM Tribute page. Click on '70s Alumni and on the left hand side you will see 'Mark Burns 1976'. To my untrained ear it could be te same voice heard on CHQM in 1993.

January 16, 2023 11:17 pm  #8

Here's an additional article I found from The Montreal Gazette dated October 15, 1989 reporting that the CFQR "Mark Burns" is heading to Vancouver. They mention no jobs lined up, but with high hopes. That would seem to suggest it's the same Mark Burns.

January 16, 2023 11:32 pm  #9

And from a Montreal Gazette column of February 8, 1991 by Tommy Schnurmacher:

"WHATEVER HAPPENED TO...?: Former Montrealer Mark Burns, who was morning man on FM96 radio in Montreal, is now working as news director at CKXY radio in Vancouver. Using the name Mark Abrams, he's also the host of a phone-in talk show called 'Hot Talk'.

Burns's wife, Judy, teaches obstetrical nursing at Kwantlen College. The two of them live in a small town called Belcarra that's rural enough to have bears traipsing through the yard during May and June.

Another former Montrealer, Abe Hefter, who worked with Burns as sports director at FM96, is also living out in Vancouver where he's working as a media-relations officer for the University of British Columbia.

'Abe and I both love it out here despite the recent record rainfall,' says Burns. 'When Vancouver sets records for rainfall, you're bailing out your attic.' " 

January 17, 2023 12:16 am  #10

As stated in the "parts company" newspaper article Burns was an American.

I believe Burns came to Canada to avoid the draft during the Vietnam war. One of a handful who ended up in broadcasting

Bob Karsten was another American who came north to avoid military service. Karsten anchored the CBC 11 p.m. television national newscast one night years back as a last minute fill-in. I had worked with him earlier in his career & was floored to see him at the anchor desk. I made a call to the CBC studios that night after he signed off and managed to reach him. Told him he had done a great job!   

January 17, 2023 11:08 am  #11

Many thanks!  This is great stuff and most helpful.

Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .

January 17, 2023 11:56 am  #12

Guys named Mike Boon(e) really like to talk about radio!

January 17, 2023 6:16 pm  #13

unclefester wrote:

As stated in the "parts company" newspaper article Burns was an American.

I believe Burns came to Canada to avoid the draft during the Vietnam war. One of a handful who ended up in broadcasting

Bob Karsten was another American who came north to avoid military service. Karsten anchored the CBC 11 p.m. television national newscast one night years back as a last minute fill-in. I had worked with him earlier in his career & was floored to see him at the anchor desk. I made a call to the CBC studios that night after he signed off and managed to reach him. Told him he had done a great job!   

Andy Barrie was also in that group of migrants. He arrived at CJAD around 1970. He built up a popular following in middays before eventually moving to Toronto where he enjoyed a long and successful run at places like CFRB, Global TV and finally mornings at CBC. prior to retirement.

January 17, 2023 6:30 pm  #14

It's long forgotten by most, but he also did a show on the old CJCL when it was still talk.