sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2023 4:49 pm  #1

Radio Stn. Giving Away Its Entire Record Library - Over 20,000 LPs/CDs

WHRO-FM is a public radio station in Norfolk, Virginia and needed a place for its newsroom. The only problem? They didn't have anywhere to put their staff. The solution: get rid of the huge record library now that everything they play is digitized. 

The result: a giveaway of its huge collection of music going back decades. It almost goes without saying that members of the public went crazy with the offer, and the station is offering 50 freebies to each person who registered. Within days, over a thousand people were on the list.

The free-for-all scramble to get the good stuff - which ranges from classical to folk to rock - is on Saturday. 

“It’s going to be a mad house,” said Bert Schmidt, president and CEO of WHRO Public Media.

WHRO giving away one of the state’s largest music collections: more than 20,000 albums and CDs

January 16, 2023 5:15 pm  #2

Re: Radio Stn. Giving Away Its Entire Record Library - Over 20,000 LPs/CDs

There's a time that I would have a loved a music collection that required a library room to store.  I currently have about 5,000 records, 500 cassettes and a few dozen CDs.  Sometimes, I wonder just how many more times I want to move it.

Plus, the last time I spun an LP was in August when my girlfriend and I were slow dancing in my living room to Ambrosia and Crystal Gayle (very romantic), but that's a half-year ago.  So just how much mileage is my turntable really getting these days?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 16, 2023 6:07 pm  #3

Jody:
What is the make model of your turntable? And the stylus/cartridge?

Have you transferred any of the vinyl to a digital format?

January 21, 2023 10:09 pm  #4

Saturday was the big day and the turnout was huge. 

From The Washington Post:

"To say the collection was eclectic is an understatement. There were classics, especially jazz and classical ones, but there were also oddball offerings like “Big Hits from Chitty Chitty Bang Band,” sung by The New Christy Minstrels with Arthur Treacher, and “Dancing Discotheque, The Exciting Dance Idea from France That You Can Do at Home.”

A vinyl bonanza: Thousands of free albums scooped up at giveaway

January 21, 2023 11:10 pm  #5

Glen Warren wrote:

Jody:
What is the make model of your turntable? And the stylus/cartridge?

Have you transferred any of the vinyl to a digital format?

I have a couple linear trackers left from Sony and Technics; a PSLX-500 and an SL-6 respectively.  I have an Ortofon OM-10p upgraded to a OM-20 stylus on the Technics.  It's an AT cart on the Sony, but I'll need to check.  Both are just T4P cartridges - nothing great, but nothing bad

I've digitized a good number of tracks in my library, but after awhile I stopped bothering.  It requires a lot of time and patience that I no longer have; and I'm as patient as they come.  I also used to have nicer turntables, like a Dual CS-5000 and a Luxman PD-277 (the fully auto one, in case I misquoted the model).  But I had an opportunity to sell them, and other things start to matter more than hi-fi, you know?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton