sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2023 12:12 am  #1

Z103.5 mornings

What happened to Rick Campanelli? He is gone from the morning show and the Z103.5 web site. Too bad they did not stick with Pina and Tony Monaco (he is now middays - Pina was out). They were more fun and enjoyable to listen to. Haven't listened much since Rick and Sandra took over. Sandra is unlistenable.

January 16, 2023 12:43 am  #2

Re: Z103.5 mornings

Outside of Scott Fox, nobody really lasts long doing mornings on Z103

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 16, 2023 1:04 am  #3

There have been Facebook posts from Indie 88 saying Indie88 mornings will never be the same and advertises January 16th at 7 am. Maybe Rick the Temp joins the team at Indie?

January 16, 2023 4:56 am  #4

brian451 wrote:

There have been Facebook posts from Indie 88 saying Indie88 mornings will never be the same and advertises January 16th at 7 am. Maybe Rick the Temp joins the team at Indie?

[color=var(--primary-text)]Indie 88 major announcement: Monday, January 16, 2023 8:00AM[/color] 

January 16, 2023 5:35 am  #5

brian451 wrote:

I suspect that it's not only Rick, but Ed the Sock as well.  They had a few shows together on Z103.5 and although the experience was great, the music played at Z wasn't really Ed's cup of tea as he's more of a rock guy, euhhh sock.  Also, Ed the Sock has already been on Indie88 in the past.

Last edited by PwrSurge (January 16, 2023 5:38 am)

January 16, 2023 9:26 am  #6

brian451 wrote:

YOU'RE WRONG!!!! Morning show stays the same @ Indie, but Indie 88 is now commercial free 7am until part way through the 90's @ 9.
(I wonder how long that will last, lol)

As for Rick, you'll have to look somewhere else for him I guess...

January 16, 2023 11:29 am  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

YOU'RE WRONG!!!! Morning show stays the same @ Indie, but Indie 88 is now commercial free 7am until part way through the 90's @ 9.

One must wonder how they are going to make money during mornings being commercial free Monday to Friday...  Perhaps selling sponsorships for each half hour block of the show?

Radiowiz wrote:

Hmmm... only other station actively looking for a new morning show is Q107.  Could this be his next gig?  I think Rick, Ed the Sock and Liana K. would make a great morning show.

Last edited by PwrSurge (January 16, 2023 11:32 am)

January 16, 2023 11:58 am  #8

CFRB's old version of the Rush with Doyle and Michaels used to have a commercial free hour between 5 and 6 PM. I often wondered how they could afford to do that, given that's one of the "primetime" slots in radio with the highest ad rates. It may have slightly increased hours tuned, but how much did they lose in revenue?

Needless to say, it's not being done that way anymore! 

January 16, 2023 12:07 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

brian451 wrote:

When they said major announcement I was expecting something more than commercial-free mornings. Either a whole new show or a new co-host. Either way Rick will turn up somewhere.

January 16, 2023 12:15 pm  #10

PwrSurge wrote:

One must wonder how they are going to make money during mornings being commercial free Monday to Friday...  Perhaps selling sponsorships for each half hour block of the show?

The PD (or someone important) came onto the Indie 88 morning show this morning announcing that they will charge more money-higher rates for other spots outside of that time.  
Are they being realistic? Is this something that might work? 
Or does it backfire with advertisers going elsewhere to advertise? 
I think we need a new thread for the topic of commercial free, lol  (because it's not Z103 and it's not Rick)

Back on topic, I agree that Rick might do well on Q 107, but I also agree that a woman might get the gig there.

January 16, 2023 2:05 pm  #11

It's pretty easy to do a commercial free block in January/February.

January 17, 2023 7:51 pm  #12

I agree, you really can't listen to Sandra that long without deciding you can drive with the radio off.

They haven't hosted together is a while. The last two weeks of December, it was Rick and Ed the Sock. Before that Sandra was solo. Months before that she was solo, but Rick returned saying they had a family vacation in Miami I believe.

Was he fired though? He has updated his instragram bio and removed references to Z103.5. One of his latest videos was him, Ed, and someone else pumping their fists to the music in the studio, but that video has been deleted. Twitter bio still says he works there, but he hasn't posted on there since September.

Maybe Sandra and Rick just didn't jive together, and one of them had to go.

January 17, 2023 9:28 pm  #13

Brad wrote:

I agree, you really can't listen to Sandra that long without deciding you can drive with the radio off.

They haven't hosted together is a while. The last two weeks of December, it was Rick and Ed the Sock. Before that Sandra was solo. Months before that she was solo, but Rick returned saying they had a family vacation in Miami I believe.

Was he fired though? He has updated his instragram bio and removed references to Z103.5. One of his latest videos was him, Ed, and someone else pumping their fists to the music in the studio, but that video has been deleted. Twitter bio still says he works there, but he hasn't posted on there since September.

Maybe Sandra and Rick just didn't jive together, and one of them had to go.

A few people asked on an IG post where he was and he confirmed that he was no longer with Z because the early mornings were getting to him. Whether this is true or not, I’m not too sure. It does seem odd that there was no announcement or send off prior to his departure. Based on the series of events from December, I’m going to speculate that Sandra and Rick didn’t get along and a decision was made to let Rick go.

Last edited by Here2day (January 17, 2023 9:28 pm)

January 18, 2023 12:58 am  #14

Storm wrote:

Sandra is unlistenable.

I thought she was at her best on Chum.  She never lasts long anywhere and that's not likely to change at the revolving door that is Z103.