sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2023 5:03 pm  #1

Stingray Radio Honcho Assess "Today Radio" Progress

In a video on YouTube about another topic, Stingray Radio's Steve Jones is asked how the new "Today Radio" format is doing after 10 months on the air in Toronto. His answer:

"We're seeing some great signs. The ratings are still quite low. But we're seeing some great reaction from the audience...and what the audience is feeding back to us about why the radio station matters to them. Because it's a community, it's family, it's a conversation, people feel like they know each other. There are regular callers.

"It is a constant stream of dialogue between real human beings. And where I think the real magic is in the format is the passive engagement. In other words, the listener is sitting in her car, and hearing a topic - for example this morning it was a topic about "the time you broke a bone and didn't even know it." 

"And listeners are calling in with these ridiculously cool stories. But at the same time, there are thousands of listeners not calling in, telling the story in their head...Everyone has their story...And they don't need to call the radio station and engage to be engaged.

"...And most radio stations today, we don't do much of that...But this format requires both the listeners and the active callers to engage on a deeper conversational human level."

He indicates getting the word out has been the toughest part of all, especially in the Toronto market. 

"It's the most crowded media market in the country on a frequency that was used for hip hop for so many years. We have to have our moment...where people realize that on 93.5, there's something cool. And we'll get there. It's just going to be a long slog in a market like this... And we realize, long term, this will resonate with people.

"I'm pretty proud of the product and I'm pretty confident that the results will come as a result."

Does anyone here listen to Today for any length of time? What is your assessment almost a year in?  

January 11, 2023 5:58 pm  #2

Re: Stingray Radio Honcho Assess "Today Radio" Progress

I listen to Today from time to time but only on line.  The music is alright, actually a nice change.  I don't listen for the conversations.  Some chats are interesting but overall most don't interest me that much. Some talks go on too long, or the topic is overdone.  Their announcers are ok, at least the ones I have heard. 

Thing is, a few stations are doing more or less the same thing, and have for a while.  Some of the announcers at CHYM in Kitchener do this. Throw out a topic or story and invite listeners to call in or text. CHYM has done this for years with a few shows.  Sometimes it works, other times not so much.  Depends on the host and if they know when to move on.  Years ago CHUM FM did the same thing.

I don't live in Toronto, so have no idea how much Today has been promoted.  I have never seen an ad on TV for them. 

Interesting that FLOW seems to be doing alright on their new frequency, so their audience moved with them and are loyal.  Today was the station that was starting from zero. The PD is right about one thing, it will be a hard slog.  Usually takes a long time for Toronto listeners to move from their favourite station(s).

January 11, 2023 6:14 pm  #3

A "We play it all" Country music radio station would have been more successful. 
It would be nice to hear a classic Kenney Rogers song + any song KX 96 plays (currently) back to back on one radio station with requests and all... 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 11, 2023 7:08 pm  #4

"I'm pretty proud of the product and I'm pretty confident that the results will come as a result."

Literal doublespeak.  

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

January 11, 2023 11:26 pm  #5

The problem I find with today is after 7 it's nothing new. Katie and Ed prerecord bits and some segments are months old. The shows on the weekend are ok but only live from 10-6. At least Now radio and Today radio in Calgary have on-air staff in the evenings. I've interacted with the evening hosts in Vancouver at Now until 2:30-2:45 am Toronto time so they are for sure there in the studio. Toronto is a much larger metropolitan area and most of the conversation is either repeats or there is nothing. Not everyone in Ontario will know about out west but most people know when it's not live or it's repeat programming

January 12, 2023 12:10 am  #6

brian451 wrote:

The problem I find with today is after 7 it's nothing new. Katie and Ed prerecord bits and some segments are months old. The shows on the weekend are ok but only live from 10-6. At least Now radio and Today radio in Calgary have on-air staff in the evenings. I've interacted with the evening hosts in Vancouver at Now until 2:30-2:45 am Toronto time so they are for sure there in the studio. Toronto is a much larger metropolitan area and most of the conversation is either repeats or there is nothing. Not everyone in Ontario will know about out west but most people know when it's not live or it's repeat programming

Today radio also looks really stupid overnight
telling people to drop in anytime...even though there is NOBODY THERE!!! 
A busy signal gives away the idea that there's nobody there also.

January 12, 2023 10:07 am  #7

"There are regular callers"....Yes...the same 10 people !!
This guy will enter politics next !

January 12, 2023 10:10 am  #8

fyshtalk wrote:

"There are regular callers"....Yes...the same 10 people !!
This guy will enter politics next !

Gee I better start calling back in again so they don't drop down to 9. 

January 12, 2023 10:29 am  #9

The station to win in Toronto needs to sound like the audience of the city.    They sound like they are all from Alberta.  White and disconnected from who the audience is in Toronto.   Walk down the street.   The city is a huge mosaic of people, yet they are on the air sounding this this is a city of white people only.  Music played also feels this way with the random country artists, and rock pop acts.     If they want to win in Toronto, on top of promotion they need to do more of, they really need to sound like the audience they are trying to hit and the city itself.      I tend to agree that even though country doesn't test well in Toronto, had they went to a country format, ratings and sales may have been much higher, and could have worked better than what they are doing currently.   The signal really wouldn't help them doing country to hit the suburbs, but someone vs no one that they have now would be better for the station.  

January 12, 2023 11:35 am  #10

Started listening to it this week while I work because a friend told me they have a playlist of bigger variety and this is what I like, although its still another Top 40ish station.   The conversations are pretty good keeps you entertained while working for sure.

January 12, 2023 3:01 pm  #11

radiokid wrote:

The station to win in Toronto needs to sound like the audience of the city.    They sound like they are all from Alberta.  White and disconnected from who the audience is in Toronto.   Walk down the street.   The city is a huge mosaic of people, yet they are on the air sounding this this is a city of white people only.  Music played also feels this way with the random country artists, and rock pop acts.     If they want to win in Toronto, on top of promotion they need to do more of, they really need to sound like the audience they are trying to hit and the city itself.      I tend to agree that even though country doesn't test well in Toronto, had they went to a country format, ratings and sales may have been much higher, and could have worked better than what they are doing currently.   The signal really wouldn't help them doing country to hit the suburbs, but someone vs no one that they have now would be better for the station.  

I noticed that the callers usually don't make any Toronto references and tend to be generic. Today would quickly sound "more Toronto" if they name dropped a lot more.  When the station first went on air, calls were likely staged.   Doubt if that is the case as much now.

Dangerous to say the audience for Today sounds white. That's an assumption.  Many people of various ethnic backgrounds have no accent, especially if they are second generation or have lived here since childhood.  Also for more recent Canadians, will need to call or text in to be heard.  But also understanding that the vast, vast majority of your audience will never call or text in regardless of their ethnic background.  

Country likely would have done better out of the gate since they would have the market more or less to themselves. Do agree the signal for 93.5 is not the greatest.  A country FM in Toronto with one or two hosts of varied ethnic backgrounds would send out a good signal that the station is for everyone. Quite easy to make country music and our cultural mosiac blend together logically.  It is also wrong to assume that newer or Canadians of various backgrounds automatically don't like or won't listen to a country music station.  Most won't, but some will, especially the second or third generation.  Vancouver's country FM has had great ratings for years, in a city that is very culturally diverse.      

Last edited by paterson1 (January 12, 2023 3:09 pm)

January 13, 2023 12:27 am  #12

I don’t think country would do better, especially not a station that mixes new and classic country.

Country does well in suburbs of major cities but not in the core. That’s a small signal and needs a format that appeals to city dwellers who tend to be multicultural and not at all interested in that music.
Also there’s a massive age divide between the classic country listener and the “today’s country” listener.
Young people who like new country don’t mind singing along to the two Johnny Cash songs they know at a bar but they don’t want to hear artists like him more than once an hour. Playing classic country in regular rotation is a massive tune out for any of the demos that you can sell.

They may have a good product but when Virgin, Kiss and Chum already appeal to their audience it’s going to be a tough road to hoe.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (January 13, 2023 12:30 am)

January 13, 2023 12:53 pm  #13

I agree a country station for Toronto would need to be new country, and with a signal that gets outside of the city. 

One problem with Today is the fact their music, with the exception of a few interesting cuts, is also available on about five or six other more established stations in the GTA. 

The advantage if Today had gone with a new country format would be that they don't have much competition, country radio listeners are loyal to their station and listen for long periods. Even the talk wouldn't be out of place on a country outlet.  I wouldn't do as much as they are now, but could absolutely be part of the format. 

The key is strong personalities, love that you are playing country hits in Canada's biggest market, acknowledge and celebrate the multicultural elements of the GTA, have a sense of humour and fun. 

Toronto's country FM if done correctly could be a real dark horse in the ratings.  

January 13, 2023 2:36 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

In a video on YouTube about another topic, Stingray Radio's Steve Clark...

It's actually Steve Jones, Senior Vice-President Brands & Content for Stingray Radio. He oversees content on Stingray's 100 radio stations across Canada.

January 13, 2023 3:28 pm  #15

I just wish that Today and other stations have more live shows. Way too much time is devoted to the best of... or a show that is based on a morning show in Calgary (Katie and Ed). So many times I tune into a stingray station, especially in smaller towns, and the programming, is by a host based in Toronto or even Nova Scotia somewhere (Halifax most likely) and the show is generic with no local content or even actual live content.

January 13, 2023 4:10 pm  #16

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I don’t think country would do better, especially not a station that mixes new and classic country.

Country does well in suburbs of major cities but not in the core. That’s a small signal and needs a format that appeals to city dwellers who tend to be multicultural and not at all interested in that music.
Also there’s a massive age divide between the classic country listener and the “today’s country” listener.
Young people who like new country don’t mind singing along to the two Johnny Cash songs they know at a bar but they don’t want to hear artists like him more than once an hour. Playing classic country in regular rotation is a massive tune out for any of the demos that you can sell.

They may have a good product but when Virgin, Kiss and Chum already appeal to their audience it’s going to be a tough road to hoe.

The beautiful thing about the Today FM format is that they can do a proper music test to (quietly) prove you to be correct, (or wrong) while finding out what a younger (than boom) audience might prefer to listen to when there's no real format or direction in the music. It's that or just do an outright music test to find what Country fans like and do not like in the way of a variety country format.

January 13, 2023 4:50 pm  #17

The Weed wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

In a video on YouTube about another topic, Stingray Radio's Steve Clark...

It's actually Steve Jones, Senior Vice-President Brands & Content for Stingray Radio. He oversees content on Stingray's 100 radio stations across Canada 

Thank you for the correction. I may have been so busy transcribing the text, I didn't see the key. My apologies to Mr. Jones.