sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2023 9:04 pm  #31

Re: Q107 Calgary Is Flipping

Rune wrote:

They're going to simulcast AM and FM and see if the CRTC allows it...if they do, watch for that to happen elsewhere.

Basically what is being done by KNWN in Seattle (formerly KOMO) and 1010 WINS in New York.

January 8, 2023 9:59 pm  #32

RadioAaron wrote:

Rune wrote:

They're going to simulcast AM and FM and see if the CRTC allows it...if they do, watch for that to happen elsewhere.

CityNews 101.1 "Ottawa" is already breaking like three rules. Precedent is set.

This is why it's too easy to start a rumour that AM 740 & Classical 96 are for sale. Who really knows if a sale will happen, but Rogers might love to have 96.7 FM as a CityNews station. What happens with the rest of the story is anyone's guess. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 8, 2023 10:39 pm  #33

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Rune wrote:

This is why it's too easy to start a rumour that AM 740 & Classical 96 are for sale. Who really knows if a sale will happen, but Rogers might love to have 96.7 FM as a CityNews station. What happens with the rest of the story is anyone's guess. 

Rogers can do WAY better than 96.7 to get CityNews on FM.

88.1, 91.1, 93.5, 94.7, 95.3, 95.9, 96.3, 102.1, 103.5, 107.9.

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 8, 2023 10:46 pm)

January 9, 2023 8:03 am  #34

A timely article.

When You Change Format  

January 9, 2023 8:32 am  #35

Confirmed at 7:30 AM EST - CHQR is moving to Q107's FM frequency and staying on AM at the same time. 

January 9, 2023 9:26 am  #36

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Rogers can do WAY better than 96.7 to get CityNews on FM.

88.1, 91.1, 93.5, 94.7, 95.3, 95.9, 96.3, 102.1, 103.5, 107.9.

None of those are going to happen. 

January 9, 2023 10:33 am  #37

Not surprisingly, the flip has been covered by Global News.

Corus Radio launches QR Calgary on FM radio waves

January 9, 2023 10:38 am  #38

Unless exceptions are made, or Rogers buys out 95.3 fm from Corus Hamilton (which is technically a different market) I tend to agree that things will stay exactly the same as they are today.    91.1 is never going happen as the license is stuck with JAZZ and non-profit status.  98.7 also has a specialty license, so also doubtful.  Moses will never sell his empire, so 96.7/96.3 will not happen.     94.7/95.9/107.9 would be way too weak to the core market in Toronto as they are Hamilton and Oshawa focused signals. (95.9's repeater is only good in the core, but total useless in the west)  

Last edited by radiokid (January 9, 2023 10:47 am)

January 9, 2023 11:30 am  #39

So now it's ok for a music FM station to flip to talk or simulcast their AM talk station?  Is Corus testing the CRTC or would they have just notified the commission?  Has Rogers Ottawa had any blow back from their similar move or is it all good?

January 9, 2023 11:34 am  #40

Ms. C. wrote:

radiokid wrote:

Moses will never sell his empire. 

The man is a (healthy) eighty-one (81) years of age

There's the Waters family, and then there's the Evanov group.

When Alan Waters passed away, the family sold all the radio and TV properties.
BUT
When Bill Evanov passed away, Paul Evanov did not sell. 

I'm not aware of the family matters regarding what will happen when Moses actually passes away.
Will they keep things business as usual? Or sell? 

January 9, 2023 11:37 am  #41

Every single time rules have permitted more concentrated ownership, anywhere, the big companies end up with all the big signals. Every single time.

January 9, 2023 12:00 pm  #42

on one segment of their morning show today, the QR hosts mentioned that QR's fm signal would be available in Electric Vehicles - such as Teslas that lack AM reception.

Interesting observation eh?

January 9, 2023 12:03 pm  #43

tvguy wrote:

on one segment of their morning show today, the QR hosts mentioned that QR's fm signal would be available in Electric Vehicles - such as Teslas that lack AM reception.

Yeah, so much for HD radio, which was supposed to solve that problem!! (AM station on the HD2)

January 9, 2023 12:11 pm  #44

tvguy wrote:

I would not be surprised if Corus does the same thing in Vancouver with CKNW. Corus also owns Rock 101, which has a similar format to the now-former Q107 Calgary. Teslas and other electric vehicles are already common in BC’s Lower Mainland, and reception of CKNW on 980 is very poor in parts of Vancouver due to overhead trolley bus wires (not unlike TTC’s streetcar wires).

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (January 9, 2023 12:12 pm)

January 9, 2023 1:49 pm  #45

MJ Vancouver wrote:

tvguy wrote:

I would not be surprised if Corus does the same thing in Vancouver with CKNW. Corus also owns Rock 101, which has a similar format to the now-former Q107 Calgary. Teslas and other electric vehicles are already common in BC’s Lower Mainland, and reception of CKNW on 980 is very poor in parts of Vancouver due to overhead trolley bus wires (not unlike TTC’s streetcar wires).

Depends on how ratings are doing for Vancouver's Rock 101 FM. 

January 9, 2023 2:28 pm  #46

Radiowiz wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

tvguy wrote:

I would say profitability would be more of a factor. If CFMI isn't making money for Corus, then I would say CKNW on 101 would be inevitable. 

January 9, 2023 2:54 pm  #47

So. Is it any better than the last format?

January 9, 2023 4:09 pm  #48

ED1 wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

I would say profitability would be more of a factor. If CFMI isn't making money for Corus, then I would say CKNW on 101 would be inevitable. 

CFMI and CFOX are both profitable. The question would be: Would replacing one of them with CNKW increase CKNW's revenue more than the profit margin of the station it's replacing, minus the cost savings of removing a station? I doubt Vancouver's there. Now, Winnipeg....

January 9, 2023 6:16 pm  #49

So is the QR move the first shoe to drop at Corus? Not for the moment, it appears.

From Broadcast Dialogue:

"When asked if Corus has plans for similar FM rollouts for high-performing talk properties in other markets, given the recent CRTC radio review changes allowing broadcasters to operate an additional FM station under certain conditions, Vos said Calgary is the company’s only focus right now."

January 9, 2023 6:28 pm  #50

RadioActive wrote:

So is the QR move the first shoe to drop at Corus? Not for the moment, it appears.

From Broadcast Dialogue:

"When asked if Corus has plans for similar FM rollouts for high-performing talk properties in other markets, given the recent CRTC radio review changes allowing broadcasters to operate an additional FM station under certain conditions, Vos said Calgary is the company’s only focus right now."

"Right Now" = 9:01am January 9, 2023

January 10, 2023 1:37 am  #51

I encourage everyone to go back and reread the predictions made the poster who knows a lot about format flips earlier in this thread. I had a good chuckle.

January 10, 2023 11:05 am  #52

a little too much ego .. a little too much mocking .. 

January 10, 2023 6:23 pm  #53

paterson1 wrote:

So now it's ok for a music FM station to flip to talk or simulcast their AM talk station?  Is Corus testing the CRTC or would they have just notified the commission?  Has Rogers Ottawa had any blow back from their similar move or is it all good?

It would seem those conversations have been happening offline lately.

January 10, 2023 7:24 pm  #54

The CRTC is like the old grey mare...she ain't what she used to be. One of the issues with all the conglomerates owning all of the stations in all of the markets is they now have the power. You want a station in say, Fredericton? Well then you have to bend somewhere else. CRTC has been toothless for a very long time.

February 2, 2023 4:36 pm  #55

OOPS. I'd assumed Corus had gotten permission for this offline, but...no.

Not only that, they made the flip while going through a license renewal!

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2023/lb230124.htm?_ga=2.257104003.903341257.1675361247-1456843199.1674144011&fbclid=IwAR0eiLlRDyb2wA8JL6y3DNC7tiqNBfszlGF1fKtBSWNDMUxu0ZXlLWsxEuo

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 2, 2023 4:37 pm)

February 3, 2023 10:35 am  #56

Broadcast Dialogue has more on this new aspect of the story.

CRTC questions Corus’ move to simulcast CHQR Calgary on FM

February 7, 2023 2:36 pm  #57

RadioActive wrote:

Broadcast Dialogue has more on this new aspect of the story.

CRTC questions Corus’ move to simulcast CHQR Calgary on FM

Direct Link from BD article: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2023/lb230124.htm?_ga=2.257104003.903341257.1675361247-1456843199.1674144011&fbclid=IwAR2WqwP3wmRUzHiTrSuVSvsgGGi40AVdAroH4f9IYDMGoPmt9cJj3a1NVFQ 

(time saver for those who just want the CRTC page)

February 7, 2023 5:16 pm  #58

Where Corus messed up... they didn't file things correctly with the CRTC.   That's really it here..   I have faith they will get past the CRTC with nothing more than a hand slap for not going through the correct procedures, but it's doubtful the CRTC will either demand they move to FM and close down the AM, or require them to put music back on the FM.  I also point out, Rogers may have went through the correct channels to operate their Ottawa signals.   I would expect that's likely the case being in the CRTC backyard.  

February 7, 2023 7:10 pm  #59

radiokid wrote:

Where Corus messed up... they didn't file things correctly with the CRTC.   

They didn't file anything but a standard license renewal. They didn't even TELL the CRTC.

May 24, 2023 2:09 pm  #60

Corus has finally formally applied to the CRTC for the switch in format for CFQR to the former Q107 FM - while throwing AM under the bus. It's the first time I've seen a broadcaster actually admit that it doesn't see a future on that band. I wonder how the people at AM 640 will view these statements, as recounted in Broadcast Dialogue:

“AM radio is already struggling to reach audiences. According to Numeris, in Fall 2022, it reached just 27.1 percent of Canadians in the Adult 25-54 demographic. This trend threatens to worsen as electric vehicles account for a greater proportion of the market. The Canadian government has set a mandatory target for all new light-duty cars and passenger trucks sales to be zero-emission by 2035,” states the application.

“Permanently shifting CHQR’s programming line-up to an FM signal, while retaining its place on the AM dial, would enable us to properly serve a segment of the audience that CHQR has been licensed to serve for nearly six decades, but which it can no longer consistently reach on the AM band alone."

The problem, of course, is that Corus has AM stations in many markets from B.C. to Ontario, a few of them quite successful. What kind of message does this send to those working at them?

Corus formally applies to air news/talk on FM in Calgary, questions viability of AM