sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2023 5:23 pm  #1

CBC's Son Of A Critch Returns Tuesday With Radio Playing A Bigger Role

The show, which is based in 1970s Newfoundland, is about the Critch family, whose father works for VOCM in St. John's, which is an actual radio station. According to one of the co-stars, there will be even more emphasis on the station in the plots of season two, as one of the kids follows in his dad's on-air footsteps. 

'It's some of the funniest stuff I've ever got to work on'

January 3, 2023 8:18 am  #2

Re: CBC's Son Of A Critch Returns Tuesday With Radio Playing A Bigger Role

I enjoyed the first season of this show last year, not unlike The Wonder Years but with a Canuck take.
If you haven’t watch it yet, give it a shot tonight!

January 3, 2023 12:40 pm  #3

Shorty Wave wrote:

I enjoyed the first season of this show last year, not unlike The Wonder Years but with a Canuck take.
If you haven’t watch it yet, give it a shot tonight!

Like many CBC programs, Son Of A Critch certainly had it's moments that were downright funny.  They just need more of them.  I enjoy the down east humour and the concept of the show.  They have a good cast, so hopefully we will see them grow this season. I did enjoy their Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays promo that played over the break. 

January 3, 2023 11:46 pm  #4

Part of "Son of a Critch" famously takes place at VOCM Radio, a real station in St. John's, Newfoundland. If you watch, you'll see the call letters all over the place. So how then to explain that credit at the end of Tuesday's Season 2 premiere that read "Special thanks to VOWR Radio."

VOWR is one of three stations in the province that start with "V" - the others being VOCM and VOAR, a throwback to the days before Newfoundland joined Confederation. But the show clearly takes place at VOCM. Why then are they thanking that station's competition in the end credits? It's odd, unless some of the show is shot there.

If that's the case, how ironic that the half hour comedy heavily promotes another radio station while possibly using the facilities of one that never gets talked about at all. I'd be curious to know the reason for the credit if anyone has any inside info. 

January 4, 2023 3:10 am  #5

Correct, some scenes were shot at VOWR's studios. Years ago I'd watched something on TV about VOWR and Wesley United Church in St. John's, and that station is still using the big blue McCurdy console seen in the above screen grab... and likely the cart machine too.

January 4, 2023 8:06 am  #6

What an irony that they're being used to give their competitor such a high profile. Thanks for the info.  

January 4, 2023 11:48 am  #7

Give their competitor such a high profile?  What are you talking about?  You could barely read the credit. I had to run it three times before I even noticed it.  And thanking a company at the end of the show is hardly a high profile. 

Your screen grab above was not the way it appeared. Your shot is magnified many times.  All of the credits were squeezed under the promo for the next program that covered 80% of the screen. And the credits themselves were speeded up.  You must have gone by frame by frame to read the credits?

I am surprised you would even bother with something as unimportant as this RA.  But hey it's a CBC production so let's have something super insignificant and trivial to talk about, rather than the actual show.  VOWR is owned by the United Church and programs about 30% religion.  As Forward Power mentioned VOWR still has the equipment/studio that would have been used in the 1980's. 

January 4, 2023 11:58 am  #8

Wow, is that an over-reaction to what was meant as a lighthearted comment! I think our previous tussles over CanCon may have tripped something in your system! I assure you this was not meant as a criticism. This was simply an interesting if not unusual trivial sidebar to the show.

A program where VOCM is almost a character uses another radio station's equipment in the same city as one of their main sets. I think that's pretty unusual and thus worth noting here. 

And just in case you're wondering, the credits were full screen on CBC Gem, where the grab came from and it was not buried under the promos for what's coming up next. On that platform, at least, it took up the entire frame. 

And by the way, the fact that I even saw it should tell you I actually watched the show - and yes, I rather enjoyed it. So much for hating everything CanCon and the CBC!

January 4, 2023 1:05 pm  #9

Well I am glad you enjoyed the show. It's only taken what, about 45 years for you to actually say something good about a CBC production!  I  didn't say it was a criticism, but rather strange that your take away from the show was something as trivial as a credit.  Lighthearted comment?   Ok, if you say so. Came across as an insignificant distraction. 

Thanking VOWR is hardly highlighting them.  Isn't this why they are called "credits" at the end of the show? 

Anyway, I enjoyed the program as well.  Good cast and story.  I think Son Of A Critch could be a needed hit for CBC.