sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2023 12:06 pm  #1

Canadian Content is on the table — here’s why it matters

Most know my stand on CanCon - if a show is good, it shouldn't really matter where it's made.

But the president and CEO of the Canada Media Fund - which, of course, has a vested interest in getting Canadian content produced and funds the programming - argues strongly in favour of more of it in an opinion column in the Toronto Star.

"The definition of what qualifies as Canadian content is crucial. Should some foreign service production in Canada qualify? Streamers and foreign companies certainly think so. But Canadians want a system where ownership of intellectual property remains, at least in part, in the hands of Canadians."

Agree or disagree? You decide.

Canadian Content is on the table — here’s why it matters
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2023/01/03/canadian-content-is-on-the-table-heres-why-it-matters.html

January 3, 2023 7:36 pm  #2

Re: Canadian Content is on the table — here’s why it matters

Naturally I support Canadian Content and feel that the new media and streamers operating here should be bound by the rules and regulations that have been established.  Do they deserve to be unregulated and  continue to have a free lunch?  To me this is a no brainer, and helps to level the playing field with traditional broadcasters.  And the lines between broadcasters and new media have become blurred.  All the major networks own their own streamers for example. 

Having said this, I fear that the "Friends of Canadian Broadcasting/ elitist CBC crowd and a few others in media will continue to whine and carry on endlessly worrying about what is or is not cancon. This need not be complicated and we may be close to where it should be already.  Cancon does not, repeat DOES NOT always need to be a teaching and learning moment or have a story that is specifically Canadian centred. 

A lot of cancon already is this, and productions from our own storytellers and writers with tales and history that is specifically Canadian.  But all cancon doesn't need or should be limited to this either.

We too often forget basic entertainment and stories that are simply fun or just interesting.  The fact that it happened in Canada or elsewhere is incidental. To over burden the storyline with Canadian references, preaching about diversity or multiculturalism, or God forbid show the CN Tower or flag every time Toronto is brought up in the story is tiresome, predictable and boring.  Put away the soapbox please!

I had no idea we were one of the leading countries in gaming production.  This success happened for a reason.  So why change the content and feel that it needs to be more Canadian?  Could be that some  already is.

Since this is a fairly new industry, and we are obviously doing quite well, let it grow and mature naturally. It is more important right now that the work is being produced here with domestic artists and contributors.  The rest will fall into place.  And again, everything and cancon in particular does not always need to be a teaching moment.

There is by far more Canadian television, books and music watched, read and heard around the world than ever before.  In the case of domestic television, which has been purchased by streamers everywhere, most of the more successful programs in fact are set in Canada.  Or at the least the program is understood as being a Canadian production.  All of this is without constant references or trying to needlessly to Canadianize a story or production.

January 3, 2023 8:11 pm  #3

January 3, 2023 8:37 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

Naturally I support Canadian Content and feel that the new media and streamers operating here should be bound by the rules and regulations that have been established. 

To which "established rules and regulations" are you referring? Because the most well-known Canadian Content regulations assume a linear distribution and somewhat captive audience. How to you translate that to on-demand and infinite streaming options?

January 3, 2023 9:41 pm  #5

Avatar considered Canadian Content why?  I am pleased and proud that Mr. Cameron who is Canadian and wrote and co-produced this movie.  However no Canadian production company was involved financially or otherwise involved with this movie.  None of the production took place here, so no local personnel or crews taking part. Great that it was shot in IMAX an innovative technology developed here (please note RA).  However, so have many other movies.  So pretty obvious why it wouldn't be thought of as a Canadian movie. 

Should a pizza made on Yonge St. made with local ingredients count as Italian, since the chef was born in Italy?   That seems to be the logic from the article above.

Aaron- Yes rules and regulations.  If they are doing business here, making money here, and some setting up shop here, yes they should be under the same rules as a Canadian company doing the same thing.

Doesn't seem to be a big issue since many are investing heavily in production and facilities.  In terms of cancon on line, we will need to see what happens with Bill C-11.  If the algorithms put some cancon up front or more discoverable so what?  The detractors call this fake to push any domestic product that doesn't deserve it.. however....the algorithms themselves are fake manipulation, and already push content that doesn't necessarily deserve to be prominent and many viewers don't really want. 

Last edited by paterson1 (January 4, 2023 1:37 pm)

January 3, 2023 10:04 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

Aaron- Yes rules and regulations.  If they are doing business here, making money here, and some setting up shop here, yes they should be under the same rules as a Canadian company doing the same thing.

So a 35% Cancon quota for Netflix (or whatever it is for specialty cable channels), where users choose what they want to watch on demand, will be effective?

What about the Motown linear stream I listen to on SiriusXM? 35%?

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 3, 2023 10:06 pm)

January 3, 2023 10:22 pm  #7

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

So a 35% Cancon quota for Netflix (or whatever it is for specialty cable channels), where users choose what they want to watch on demand, will be effective?

It's 25% for specialty channels and don't see why Netflix couldn't handle this or why they shouldn't.  The cancon is just available, what you watch is up to you. 

Music, I haven't read or heard anything about any changes for SiriusXM or satellite radio.  They still have their token Canadian channels and they do contribute to the music industry here.  They have sponsored the JUNO awards for years. 

January 3, 2023 10:28 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

It's 25% for specialty channels and don't see why Netflix couldn't handle this or why they shouldn't.  The cancon is just available, what you watch is up to you. 

Music, I haven't read or heard anything about any changes for SiriusXM or satellite radio.  They still have their token Canadian channels and they do contribute to the music industry here.  They have sponsored the JUNO awards for years. 

You said the same regulations should apply. How do you apply current music regulations to streaming?

As for on-demand video, how does a quota actually help if it's not being watched? And even then, it's not at all the same. Cancon for cable is a percentage of schedule, not a percentage of available product. That's a huge difference.

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 3, 2023 10:49 pm)

January 4, 2023 12:17 am  #9

To be honest I wasn't thinking about music streaming or satellite music stations.  I haven't heard or read anything about music or changes.

I was referring more to television and services like Netflix, Disney, Prime etc.  Yes there is a big difference between a schedule offering a certain percent of cancon and a on demand service.  The set up of the services are not usually the same.  However the purpose of C-11 is to ensure Canadian product is available and discoverable for the viewer.   After that it is up to the individual what they want to watch or not.  So I don't see a big issue, and can't see why Netflix would either.  It is also wrong to assume these productions are not going to be watched.  But they need to be available first. 

I could have written my comments clearer or more exact.  When I said the same regulations and rules I was citing support for Canadian product, paying taxes and contributing to the industry similar to what broadcast companies are obligated to do.  The new media are making money here, doing business here, many have facilities here, so they should be under similar rules and regs. 

Most new media seem now to understand this, since the major companies are becoming more of a part of the Canadian media industry, and producing product here.  This is happening not just in Canada but other countries as well.  

Should they continue to be unregulated, nope.  How that plays out and  what the final guidelines end up being is still not clear. Like the current regs for TV and radio,  any guidelines do not need to be arduous, but they are necessary and will happen.  

Last edited by paterson1 (January 4, 2023 12:19 am)

January 4, 2023 10:47 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

I could have written my comments clearer or more exact.  When I said the same regulations and rules I was citing support for Canadian product, paying taxes and contributing to the industry similar to what broadcast companies are obligated to do.  The new media are making money here, doing business here, many have facilities here, so they should be under similar rules and regs.  

Yes, moving forward content regulation is going to become more difficult, if not downright impossible, and ineffective either way.

Supporting Canadian Content will only be possible through funding, whether directly from the government or required support from distributors.

And I'll agree that analog and digital media should be bound by the same regulations.