sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 31, 2022 8:30 pm  #1

Live & local on NYE?

Are any Southern Ontario stations attempting much in the way of LIVE New Year's specials this year? I would guess most of the typical DJ/mix shows on the FMs were pre-recorded days/weeks ago?

December 31, 2022 8:39 pm  #2

Re: Live & local on NYE?

Virgin is live.

December 31, 2022 9:05 pm  #3

On the TV side, CHCH is doing a live show from 11:15pm to 12:30am. Three or four bands are performing, with a local comedian hosting. It's being done at the station, so no audience, I believe.

Last edited by Brad (December 31, 2022 9:14 pm)

December 31, 2022 9:53 pm  #4

CBC is doing a live show at 11 PM, hosted by Rick Mercer from Blue Mountain and music from entertainers across the country. But it doesn't appear they're too excited about extending New Year's Eve very long. It ends at 12:05 AM followed by "Just for Laughs: Gags." 

It seems most Canadian stations, with the exception of CHCH and the CBC, are ignoring the festivities this year. CTV is going with a rerun of eTalk at 11:30 PM. Global is showing a movie at the same time and City TV continues its long tradition of simulcasting the Dick Clark/Ryan Seacrest Rockin' New Year's Eve from ABC.

It wasn't that many years ago City had the local market cornered with its Traditional New Year's Eve at Nathan Phillips Square, hosted by Gord Martineau and a few people from MuchMusic. But that ended for reasons that were never clear to me (I'm not sure if the City of Toronto pulled the plug or the owners of the station) but it's a lost annual event that was at least local to the city. Now none of them are. 

Meanwhile, most of the U.S. networks are doing something to mark the night. In addition to ABC, NBC has "Miley's New Year's Eve Party" from Miami with Miley Cyrus and Dolly Parton, and CBS counters with a special from Nashville that's more country-oriented. Fox isn't doing anything, opting for an 11 PM rerun of "Hell's Kitchen." What does that say about their hopes for 2023?

There are various cable options as well, including the CNN Special, which used to make headlines for its hosts getting a bit tipsy on air. This year, alcohol is banned from the booth. 

December 31, 2022 10:40 pm  #5

Been listening to some of the various stations.  Virgin Toronto's Most Requested Live is pretty slow for a New Years Eve program.  Every time I have checked to see what they are playing has been not upbeat at all.  Hopefully after 10 Virgin will improve with their Virgin Radio New Year's Eve Party. The Most Requested show isn't playing in Montreal and they have been playing music more fitting for a New Years Eve party.

CHFI needs to update their website.  It is showing LIVE Coop's Classics.  Actually it is Pooja and Gurdeep  doing a very pre recorded sounding New Years Eve show. 

January 1, 2023 12:34 am  #6

Well... the live stream on CHCH's youtube page is not playing the show. But if you don't have cable, so far, you can watch the live stream on CHCH.com.

January 1, 2023 4:15 am  #7

The FOX O&Os simulcasted a NYE show from their FOX LiveNow streaming service.

Also, for some bizarre reason, for YEARS on Citytv in Calgary and Edmonton, they simulcast the Dick Clark NYE show from the ABC in the pacific time zone. Which means that for Alberta viewers, midnight on that program occurs at 1 AM.

January 1, 2023 6:32 am  #8

ED1 wrote:

The FOX O&Os simulcasted a NYE show from their FOX LiveNow streaming service.

I'm guessing the Fox Sales team in Seattle is going to get a good talking to. (maybe?) 
The host of that program kept saying "we'll be right back after this quick commercial break..."
but instead of going to commercials, it kept showing pics of the different places where Fireworks are being held next (or in the next hour...or something like that...)
I saw absolutely NO commercials at all!!!

What you see here is EXACTLY what aired on Fox Seattle...notice when they say "quick commercial break" there are no commercials...where's the commercials?? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 1, 2023 8:42 am  #9

Caught a bit of the Dick Clark / Seacrest NYE special on City...  

I know that the musical acts were synching to track...  but the broadcast was flat...  where was the ambience?  When they cut to close-up crowd shots of spectators cheering and signing along there was no "air" or crowd sound...

Same for Seacrest's standups...  he was using an RF hand mic, but it was too tight...  he was outdoors, spectators in the background / wide shots....   to me, it just came off sounding flat.

Last edited by Glen Warren (January 1, 2023 8:42 am)

January 1, 2023 11:27 am  #10

Shortly after 10pm yesterday, I briefly tuned into CFRB. I am not sure what they were airing but it was obviously a TV show, I’m guessing perhaps The View. What a crap move. If you’re going to run a television show on a radio station, at least make it local and relevant. They were discussing how nice Pete Davidson is and how women dig him, seriously bad New Year Eve entertainment.

January 1, 2023 11:36 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

It wasn't that many years ago City had the local market cornered with its Traditional New Year's Eve at Nathan Phillips Square, hosted by Gord Martineau and a few people from MuchMusic. But that ended for reasons that were never clear to me (I'm not sure if the City of Toronto pulled the plug or the owners of the station) but it's a lost annual event that was at least local to the city. Now none of them are.  

Citytv dropped its Traditional New Years Eve broadcast as Rogers saw no merit or value to it. They cut most
of what made City unique, like Speakers Corner and Peter Silverman. They didn’t and still don’t get branding, just look at the dog’s breakfast the channel is. Sadly, Ted Rogers had plans for the channel but once he passed, so did his Citytv dream.

January 1, 2023 11:41 am  #12

Shorty Wave wrote:

Shortly after 10pm yesterday, I briefly tuned into CFRB. I am not sure what they were airing but it was obviously a TV show, I’m guessing perhaps The View. What a crap move. If you’re going to run a television show on a radio station, at least make it local and relevant. They were discussing how nice Pete Davidson is and how women dig him, seriously bad New Year Eve entertainment.

I think that's a reroll of "The Social" from CTV, and you're right - it makes for terrible radio. They usually run it early (like around 5 AM) on weekends. But it's a holiday and they need filler, so I guess that decided the schedule. It's a common and irritating problem this time of year. (Or should that be ear-itating?)

I'm hearing what seems like the 15th run of the best of John Moore on Sunday morning. And AM 640 has run its Greg Brady-led "2022: Year In Sports" special at least three or four times in the space of a few days. The end of the holidays can't come soon enough on radio. 

January 1, 2023 11:48 am  #13

Thanks for the update RadioActive and thanks for this board, and even if we’re in re-roll world, a Happy New Year to you and all of the SOWNY participants!

January 1, 2023 1:24 pm  #14

CHUM FM was live last night from 10PM to 1AM for Jamar's NYE House Party.

Boom 97.3 was also live (I think....) for their NYE Coast to Coast Party.

January 1, 2023 2:57 pm  #15

CP24 was live from the Distillery District and waterfront last night over midnight.  They even fueled up the chopper for sky shots of the fireworks. Lots of people at the Distillery.  

January 1, 2023 4:13 pm  #16

This wasn't local, but it was live. They had one job and...

CNN Misses Midnight New Year’s Eve Countdown In Central Time Zone

January 1, 2023 4:40 pm  #17

The winner of Seacrest and CBS's Nashville show has been the Nashville show for the last two years.  While Seacrest was spending 10 minutes on paid content for a cruise line or Powerball and then another 5 minutes teeing up the next hour CBS was showing non-stop performances.  A lot of it was pre-taped from artist owned bars in Nashville earlier in the night or a couple of days ago which meant when a live performance was done on the main stage less than two seconds later another pre-taped performance was starting on your TV screen.  I would guess there was less than 60 seconds of down time in the entire 6 hour show combined.  It's beautifully produced.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (January 1, 2023 4:43 pm)