sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 25, 2022 3:59 pm  #1

Riveting Coverage Of A Disaster Unfolding On Buffalo Radio

I mentioned in a previous thread that WBEN-AM has thrown the "it's Christmas, so everyone's off" playback out the window. Unlike Toronto, Western New York got absolutely hammered by the snowstorm and the entire city is so paralyzed, that not even emergency crews can get out on the roads. 

I was out walking the dog on Sunday listening to the drama unfold, when a distraught woman called in to say her neighbour was barely breathing, and had called 911 for help. They asked where he was and when he gasped his address to them, they replied, somewhat grimly, 'Sorry sir, there's no one to come out to you. We can't get there.' That has to be the scariest thing I've heard in a very long time. 

The woman was understandably upset, fearing the guy could die right in front of her eyes with no one to help. The on-air talent, Tom Bauerle and David Bellavia, took his address off air and vowed to find someone to help him. Another man called in to thank the radio station for helping someone find him when he got stranded in his car for hours, buried by snow, and was close to freezing to death. They got the word out and a listener found him, dug him loose and took him to safety.

Even the Mayor is stuck in his home, with no power or heat, buried under 6 feet of snow and unable to open his doors to get out. He's able to communicate only by cell phone, which he charges in his car to stay in touch with city officials. 

It was exactly what I was talking about when I say that radio is a lifeline to thousands during this kind of emergency. I've been critical of AM 930 in the past, but they surely earned their stripes this weekend, with some announcers working 12 hour+ shifts. With an estimated 43" of snow at Buffalo Airport - and more in other areas - it's surely a Christmas they won't soon forget. 

If you're interested, you can hear the station live (with a VPN set to the U.S.) here.

December 25, 2022 6:55 pm  #2

Re: Riveting Coverage Of A Disaster Unfolding On Buffalo Radio

WBFO is live but carrying the national NPR feed. I checked out WBEN for a few minutes, but I don't have the spleen to listen to 'Skippy' Bellavia share his thoughts and views.

December 25, 2022 7:03 pm  #3

I get it, but someone else has taken over for him and he won't be back today, if you still want to listen. I will say because of the situation down there, they stayed as far away from any political talk as I've ever heard on the station. It's strictly about the emergency. 

December 29, 2022 5:20 pm  #4

Chrisphen wrote:

WBFO is live but carrying the national NPR feed.

And apparently there was good reason for that, prompting a flood of complaints (you should pardon the expression) from listeners, who support the station financially.

This video shows the significant damage done to the studios by a flood, and why they weren't able to be there when they were most needed - although Buffalo News columnist Alan Pergament rightfully wonders why they couldn't have done more remotely, like what happened during COVID.

December 29, 2022 5:24 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

This video shows the significant damage done to the studios by a flood, and why they weren't able to be there when they were most needed - although Buffalo News columnist Alan Pergament rightfully wonders why they couldn't have done more remotely, like what happened during COVID.

The remote hosting during COVID would have all run though the studio. Looks like their backup is an NPR network feed at the transmitter. Not the same situation at all.

December 29, 2022 8:23 pm  #6

Swell. Now the fundraising breaks will be twice as long.