sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2022 10:44 am  #1

CTV News Channel

Canada beat Germany 11-2 last night at the World Junior Hockey Championships being held down east..

The Canadian Juniors were led by the remarkable Connor Bedard who counted 3 goals and 4 assists.

CTV News Channel decided they could improve upon that remarkable production with a headline this morning that read "Connor Bedard's 7 Goals Lead Canada..."   

The interns are running the asylum

It took about ten minutes or so but the headline was corrected

December 29, 2022 11:25 am  #2

Re: CTV News Channel

I had issues with a few things I heard on CTV's noon and 6 PM newscasts on Wednesday. Hagersville, the town where the OPP officer was shot, was constantly being pronounced two different ways - HAH-gersville by anchor Nathan Downer and then HAY-gersville by the reporter on scene. I'm pretty sure it's the latter, but every time they came back to the story, someone would say it wrong. (Remember the tire fire in 1990? That's when I first learned how to say the name of the place.)

But far worse was a glaring error by Rahim Ladhani, who was doing a story on pharmacists being able to prescribe drugs for certain ailments without the need of a doctor's Rx. One of those conditions is something called Impetigo, a skin disorder, which is pronounced "Imp-Pah-Ty-Go." Ladhani brushed right by it, saying it as it looks - "Im-Pet-Tee-Go."

It's clear he either didn't ask how it was supposed to be said or was given the wrong information by someone over there. Worse yet, the story was repeated over and over and over again on the News Channel and even on NT 1010 the following morning.

I know for some this is a small issue. But it's really not. Getting it right is vital on a newscast. And saying it right is, too. In both instances on Wednesday, CTV did neither. And it appears nobody there noticed. 

December 29, 2022 1:54 pm  #3

Merriam-Webster has it both ways: Impetigo

December 29, 2022 2:23 pm  #4

All I can tell you is my father was once (incorrectly as it turns out) diagnosed with it. His doctor pronounced it Im-Pay-Ty-Go and a large number of online "how do you say it" sites insist that's the correct way to pronounce it. I have never heard it called "im-Pet-ee-Go" as in "Impediment."

Maybe there's a radio fan with some medical training who can say for sure, but I think Ladhani got it wrong. 

December 29, 2022 3:12 pm  #5

I’m not trying to pick on CTV News – at least they’re doing a noon news show, unlike Global, which has run “stories of 2022” all week – but their noon cast on Thursday was extremely strange. It was almost like watching a rerun unfold right before your eyes.

The show began with new info on the suspects allegedly involved in the tragic shooting of an OPP officer and featured a clip from OPP Commissioner Thomas Carrique, asked by CTV news correspondent Adrian Ghobrial how he felt about the guy being out on bail. “I’m outraged,” began the clip before continuing to outline his reasons why.

That was immediately followed by a sidebar from Siobhan Morris, on the need for bail reform. That story contained the exact same clip from Carrique, again beginning with “I’m outraged.”

After a brief live reaction interview, they played Adrian Ghobrial’s report. Sure enough, Carrique turned up for a third time, again using the exact same “I’m outraged” clip. That had now aired three times in three different stories in less than nine minutes.

But that wasn’t the end of it. The report also contained a clip from one of the fallen officer’s former colleagues, a Det. Sgt. who noted, “What I remember about him the most was his compassion and caring.”

When that ended, they threw to yet another story about what kind of person the slain officer was. It began with a clip of the same Det. Sgt., who said, “What I remember about him the most was his compassion and caring.” They ran the same clip twice in a row in two more different stories.

But still it wasn’t over. They eventually moved on to the chaos at the airports. The first story was a clip/voice over featuring a detailed statement from the Minister of Transportation, which was read verbatim.

That yarn was followed by a Jon Woodward story about the experiences from those same Sunwing passengers trapped in Mexico. Sure enough, the reporter quoted the exact same statement from the Minister, the one we’d just heard seconds ago.

I’ve seen this kind of thing happen on Global’s 6 PM local news, with the exact same stories repeated less than half an hour later on Global National. But at least those are different shows. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the exact same thing repeated three separate times in the space of 15 minutes on the same newscast.  

I know it’s a holiday time of year and there aren't the normal numbers of producers working, but clearly no one was vetting these stories before they went to air or they would have caught the endless duplication – or should that be triplication? And as Thursday's show proves, they probably should.

Hopefully, their 6 PM effort will be a little less repetitive.  

January 3, 2023 3:15 pm  #6

Maybe this is nitpicking and God knows I'm far from perfect, but it continues to astound me how certain news people cannot either pronounce or bother to look up the right way to say certain words they're clearly unfamiliar with.

In the last few days, I have heard no less than three different newscasters on three different stations mispronounce the word "Emeritus" as in "Pope Emeritus" for the late Pope Benedict.

CTV Toronto, CityNews 680 and at least one other outlet have all said it repeatedly as "Em-are-eye-tis," which makes it sound like some kind of disease. It's "Ee-mare-ah-tus," and it's not that uncommon a word that they shouldn't know it. Many retired university professors get rewarded with that title, and while it's not the most frequently used honorific, it's not that unusual. 

When they get it wrong over and over again, it hurts the overall credibility of the station.

Again, it's sad that they don't know how to say it. It's sadder still that there doesn't appear to be anyone in a management position or newsroom mentor to correct them on it or that they never ask if they're not sure. Now you'll have to excuse me. I think I'm coming down with a bad case of "Em-are-eye-tis."

January 6, 2023 4:13 pm  #7

I can't figure out what's going on at CTV. I've now heard several of their announcers in the same day butcher the city of "Mazatlan" the place in Mexico, where a gang war is going on. Both times, they've pronounced it closer to "Mazel Tov" than the real name. This seems to be endemic to them.

Even the hosts of The Rush couldn't get it right. In a discussion about how it should be said, Reshmni Nair and Scott Reid decided after discussing it on-air that it should be something that sounded like "Mazzle Lan," then proudly congratulated themselves on getting it right.

Does no one check how to pronounce these things?

January 6, 2023 7:40 pm  #8

A  female anchor on CTV news channel the other day was talking about the Canadian Junior Hockey team  member Joshua Roy.

Except that she anglicized his surname -- calling him Roy as in Roy Rogers

Pretty basic stuff

Disrespectful and un-Canadian

January 7, 2023 10:14 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

I can't figure out what's going on at CTV. I've now heard several of their announcers in the same day butcher the city of "Mazatlan" the place in Mexico, where a gang war is going on. Both times, they've pronounced it closer to "Mazel Tov" than the real name. This seems to be endemic to them.

Obviously they didn't grow up watching The Love Boat. Places like Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta (vy-ARR-tah) were regular ports of call.