sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 27, 2022 10:30 am  #1

Some Talk Formats Gradually Return To Normal

I know I harp on this a lot, but nothing bugs me more than a radio station abandoning its format just because it's Christmas. So while AM640 continued on and on and on with rerolls and may stay in "vacation" mode for nine very long days, NT1010 brought in Jason Agnew to do a live 10 AM show on the iHeart Talk Network. They've essentially been in rerun mode for four days. 

He also mentioned that he'll be back again on Wednesday, doing the morning run on CFRB in place of John Moore. I'll be curious to hear what, if anything, follows him after that shift is over. But at least there are signs of life at the place!

December 27, 2022 3:07 pm  #2

Re: Some Talk Formats Gradually Return To Normal

And Mark Towhey is hosting The Rush this afternoon and he said he will be in all week.

December 27, 2022 5:33 pm  #3

eladb wrote:

And Mark Towhey is hosting The Rush this afternoon and he said he will be in all week.

I hope 1010's new year's resolution is to give Towhey a regular show.  He's far better than the rest of their lineup, other than Moore, and maybe Vassy.

December 27, 2022 6:30 pm  #4

Walter wrote:

He's far better than the rest of their lineup

I guess it's a pretty low bar. But Towhey fails to master even Broadcasting 101 basics - I've written here previously that whenever he joins John Moore as a crossover/tease when Towhey is filling in for Jerry Agar or when Towhey was promoting the 7 pm slot before Jim Richards returned, whenever Moore is asking the next question or making comment, for those 15-20 seconds Towhey can be heard loudly clearing his throat and coughing every 3-4 seconds on open mic.

This has been going on for months now. Apparently the morning show's technical producer doesn't care enough to let Towhey know that's happening for the next time, and apparently Towhey doesn't have enough self-awareness to use a cough switch or mute button at his side and thinks he's not on-air and this can't be heard just because he's not talking words at the time? Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in his broadcasting skills if he can't even get that right.

December 27, 2022 6:37 pm  #5

One of the bonus side effects of actually being live is that you can cover unexpected breaking news - such as the 28-year-old OPP cop being shot and killed near Hagersville, Ont. Tuesday afternoon.

Over on AM640, nary a word, which is to be expected when you're in rerun mode for days on end. (Although all stations did get interrupted by an Emergency Alert around 5:44 PM - which failed to mention where this happened, making it less than useful. It also pronounced O.P.P. as "opp," which didn't help clear up things, either.)

Good for CFRB for being there with this unfolding yarn and going wall-to-wall with it. It wouldn't have happened had they been stuck in Christmas mode. 

December 27, 2022 8:19 pm  #6

Walter wrote:

He's far better than the rest of their lineup

No.

December 28, 2022 1:35 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I know I harp on this a lot

You really really really really really really do. 
Three different threads so far during this holiday period and semi-frequent references to it during the other 52 weeks of the year.
Can we pool our money and get someone to come to your house and host a talk show for you in 2023 while the rest of your family eats Christmas dinner?

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (December 28, 2022 2:06 am)

December 28, 2022 9:05 am  #8

Tomas Barlow wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I know I harp on this a lot

You really really really really really really do. 
Three different threads so far during this holiday period and semi-frequent references to it during the other 52 weeks of the year.
Can we pool our money and get someone to come to your house and host a talk show for you in 2023 while the rest of your family eats Christmas dinner?

when 90% of one's posts are grousing about something, it's a bit rich mocking someone else about their pet peeves .. 

December 28, 2022 9:31 am  #9

For an almost talk station, I noticed that Today 93.5 is stuck in digital storage.
This morning, in the 6 am hour they messed up the "Toronto Traffic Today" cue.
It aired, then went to ads, then station Id, then more ads, then "and that's Toronto traffic Today" aired.
a song aired after that, then the song ended and a traffic report aired. Back to music.

Nice digital storage radio.
Paul Harper "encore" content snuck in there in between what was mostly music this morning also, talking about your worst mistake ever on the job. (6 o clock hour)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 28, 2022 9:54 am  #10

Speaking of getting back to normal, it was nice to hear AM640 get back in gear with a real, live, actual morning show on Wednesday. (If memory serves, they used to be in reroll mode for two weeks during previous Christmas-New Year's holiday periods, which is totally ridiculous.) 

But it wasn't Greg Brady back in the air chair. It was the return of a former Corus personality, Teri Hart. If memory serves, she used to be on both Q107 and CFNY back in the day, and now works as a host and producer for Super Channel. Good to hear her voice - and the original content that accompanied it - again. 

December 28, 2022 9:58 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

But it wasn't Greg Brady back in the air chair. It was the return of a former Corus personality, Teri Hart. If memory serves, she used to be on both Q107 and CFNY back in the day, and now works as a host and producer for Super Channel. Good to hear her voice - and the original content that accompanied it - again. 

Nice to hear they're making some effort for a live host (and Agnew again today on 1010 as a live host). I remember Hart teasing this Christmas-to-New-Year's fill-in work on her November Toronto Mike appearance.

December 28, 2022 10:41 am  #12

I have noticed that CKVR CTV2 Barrie has not broadcast a live local local newscast since 11pm Dec. 23. Either a simulcast of CFTO or the week in review is all I have seen. In fairness, I didn't see 6pm Dec 27 what CTV2 had on. A rerun of Etalk aired at 11pm. CKVR serves as the only local news source as all radio stations in this area  were on auto pilot . I am disappointed . 

December 28, 2022 11:47 am  #13

mic'em wrote:

I have noticed that CKVR CTV2 Barrie has not broadcast a live local local newscast since 11pm Dec. 23. Either a simulcast of CFTO or the week in review is all I have seen. In fairness, I didn't see 6pm Dec 27 what CTV2 had on. A rerun of Etalk aired at 11pm. CKVR serves as the only local news source as all radio stations in this area  were on auto pilot . I am disappointed . 

CFPL/CHWI are doing a simulcast, but at least they have news. Last night’s was done from Windsor.

January 2, 2023 3:37 am  #14

MJ Vancouver wrote:

mic'em wrote:

CFPL/CHWI are doing a simulcast, but at least they have news. Last night’s was done from Windsor.

They did it again during New Years Eve. Also CTV Kitchener news at 6 was half an hour too.

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (January 2, 2023 3:38 am)