sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2022 9:20 am  #1

The History Of Car Radios

They started in the 1920s and those early adopters would not recognize what's available today.

"Radio ‘hams’ experimented with home-built radios in cars in the very early years of the 20th century, but the first one offered by a car manufacturer and designed to work reliably was sold by Chevrolet in the US exactly a century ago.

With huge batteries under the seat, loudspeakers taking up the back seat and an aerial that covered the roof, it was impractical and cost thousands of pounds in today’s terms."

History of car stereos: radios, records and cassettes to CDs and MP3s

December 26, 2022 12:46 pm  #2

Re: The History Of Car Radios

AMC (American Motors) had great AM radios in their vehicles.  I owned a 1980 AMC Spirit and it had a fantastic radio that could pull in AM stations from all over at night.  Full sound with lots of bottom. You could argue about the quality of their vehicles but the radios were superb.   A friend of mine had a '78 Plymouth, real nice car but the radio couldn't touch the sound that my AMC had.  Local stations always sounded loud and clear in that car. 

December 26, 2022 12:55 pm  #3

The first car I owned was a 1974 Honda Civic.
Loved the little tin box and drove it into the ground.
But the stock radio was terrible.
As soon as I had enough money after buying the car (for $3,000!) I took it to my local car stereo shop (yes had such things.) and had the stock radio replaced with a Pioneer stereo and four speakers, plus an 8 track tape player!
I was in heaven.

Last edited by newsguy1 (December 26, 2022 12:55 pm)

December 26, 2022 1:18 pm  #4

I had a 1979 Dodge Charger (the smaller one) with AM stereo and FM stereo. The CQuam AM stereo sounded great.

December 26, 2022 2:04 pm  #5

In 1972 I had a 65 Pontiac that had a Blaupunkt AM-FM radio. I put two 6 inch Jensen speakers on the rear deck under the window. I had to keep tightening them down, even with lock washers, they vibrated so much.

December 28, 2022 9:13 pm  #6

In the late 50s and early 60s it was always a thrill to sit in a GM car and listen to Rock and Roll through a Delco radio.  The sound was incredible and very loud.  Back to MONO with DELCO.