sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 23, 2022 8:23 am  #1

Holiday Hits On The Radio Are Old – Here’s Why

Every year around this time, CHR stations that wouldn't be caught dead playing a song from the 60s or 70s go whole hog on any Christmas tune from any era. This isn't really a surprise - there are only so many holiday songs and they don't really make a lot of them anymore - but the Vancouver Sun analyzed what was airing on an all-Xmas station in their city - 104.3 The Breeze - and parsed the playlist to see how many of the 25 most played tunes stemmed from which era. 

The decade that dominates? The 60s.

A bit of fluff as far as an article is concerned but fun to contemplate, nonetheless. 

Holiday hits are old – here’s why

December 23, 2022 11:52 am  #2

Re: Holiday Hits On The Radio Are Old – Here’s Why

One of the best stations for Christmas music is Zoomer Radio.  They play by far the best variety and have just now gone all in.  This makes much more sense than running 100% Yuletide songs in early November when we had sunshine and 22C.   The Beat and Virgin Radio in K/W are now both slowly mixing in some Christmas songs.  Interesting to hear Andy Williams on The Beat!

December 23, 2022 12:37 pm  #3

It was actually funny this morning hearing Stu Jefferies say "70's 80's 90's...and sometimes 60's because of the Christmas music..." 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 23, 2022 1:31 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

One of the best stations for Christmas music is Zoomer Radio.  They play by far the best variety and have just now gone all in.  This makes much more sense than running 100% Yuletide songs in early November when we had sunshine and 22C.

The first two weeks of Christmas netted CHFI a 15 share and a 17.5 with women. Again, you're confusing what makes "sense" with your own personal taste.

December 23, 2022 2:26 pm  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

One of the best stations for Christmas music is Zoomer Radio.  They play by far the best variety and have just now gone all in.  This makes much more sense than running 100% Yuletide songs in early November when we had sunshine and 22C.

The first two weeks of Christmas netted CHFI a 15 share and a 17.5 with women. Again, you're confusing what makes "sense" with your own personal taste.

Yes, I was giving my personal opinion.  How did CHFI do with the male audience or does that not matter?  I hope their revenues went up accordingly with the Christmas music and large female audience.  Does CHUM, BOOM and Virgin have a bump up in revenue as well even with the lack of seasonal music?

December 29, 2022 2:08 am  #6

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Yes, I was giving my personal opinion.  How did CHFI do with the male audience or does that not matter?  I hope their revenues went up accordingly with the Christmas music and large female audience.  Does CHUM, BOOM and Virgin have a bump up in revenue as well even with the lack of seasonal music?

The female audience is their bread and butter. I doubt they worry about males very much.