sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 21, 2022 2:49 pm  #1

CTV News Gets Nomination For "Garbage" Headline Of The Year

https://twitter.com/paulisci/status/1605279396491034624?t=87Fa0TClsP8fjR13GsK4sA&s=19

this is the print version of those news announcers mispronouncing words, and if you work at one of these places, or actually penned one, highly embarrassing

the thread is littered with bad examples, including the one from CTV News Ottaknowbetter

who writes headlines like these
who approves them

Last edited by betaylored (December 21, 2022 2:52 pm)

December 21, 2022 4:35 pm  #2

Re: CTV News Gets Nomination For "Garbage" Headline Of The Year

Perhaps he was just trying to be clever. I used to write headlines for a newscast and some of them were a bit over the top in my zeal to be creative. I'd give whoever was behind this one the benefit of the doubt. (I'm just glad there was no social media back when I was at it, or we would never have heard the end of it, given some of the stuff I got away with!)

I remember one I wrote that happened when Wayne Gretzky went to the Kings, after years with the Oilers. The viz showed him trying on his new uniform and the caption I wrote said, "He may be playing for Los Angeles, but he has a New Jersey!"

And then there was the time former federal Finance Minister John Crosbie, who was very outspoken and far from diplomatic, was angry about something. (To be honest, he was ALWAYS angry about something.) The pictures showed him with a scowl on his face. And the promo words read, "With gritted teeth, Crosbie stills a gnash." Now THAT one I was proud of...

December 21, 2022 7:19 pm  #3

The thread's poster is calling these out as good, not scolding them.

If you're used to slightly younger jargon, the CTV Ottawa headline is actually great. I have no problem with clever headlines for stories of lesser importance. It's a tradition as old as newsprint.

December 22, 2022 1:14 am  #4

betaylored wrote:

https://twitter.com/paulisci/status/1605279396491034624?t=87Fa0TClsP8fjR13GsK4sA&s=19

this is the print version of those news announcers mispronouncing words

It's the print version of a kicker, in my opinion.