sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 21, 2022 4:10 pm  #1

Should This T.O. Radio Station Be Forced To Change Its Call Letters?

This is a bit tongue in cheek, but you have to wonder if one of the least listened to and hardest to get Toronto radio stations should be forced to change its call letters. Most people have probably never heard of CJRU, the extremely weak station at 1280 AM. 

It's run by students at what used to be called Ryerson University - a school that's since been forced to change its name to Toronto Metropolitan University over its founder's actions regarding residential schools. But doesn't the "RU" stand for Ryerson University? So why is that still intact? 

But what to change it to? The government database of available call letters does include two possibilities. How about the available "CJTM" or "CITM?" A small change of symbolic value. 

Are you (or in this case, RU) in favour of such an alteration? 

I should note that I'm not really taking this all that seriously, but it is a remnant of something many people thought was a vital change. I guess they either somehow missed the symbolism of the call letters or they just don't care. I'm probably more in the latter category, but your mileage may vary.

December 21, 2022 4:31 pm  #2

Re: Should This T.O. Radio Station Be Forced To Change Its Call Letters?

School team bus requires a new graphic wrap as well.  Only $25K.

December 21, 2022 5:19 pm  #3

Used to be 1280 AM Pearson Airport station 

December 21, 2022 5:31 pm  #4

And after that, CFNB, an all business station. And before that, CHAM, a Top 40 station owned by Rogers. (Also had the calls CHIQ and CJJD at different points.) It was a pretty good outlet as I recall and some of the talent who worked there wound up at CFTR and bigger stations. I used to listen to it all the time in the early 70s. 

December 21, 2022 6:08 pm  #5

Changes come with time, but priority is priority. I doubt the calls are getting enough notice to be due for change. Just give the station a creative name and announce the calls twice an hour. Problem (temporarily) solved. 
Besides, if the station is "Really Underground radio" what is your point?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 21, 2022 6:24 pm  #6

I'm being more than a bit facetious with the suggestion. But if they're going to go to all that expense and trouble to change the name of an entire university, shouldn't they take the offending letters from their student radio station with them? 

December 21, 2022 7:14 pm  #7

If it were just their call-letters, I'd file it under "who cares" but they're the station's brand, too. For consistency at the very least, they should become C*TM. Like you said, probably pretty low priority though.

December 22, 2022 12:27 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

I'm being more than a bit facetious with the suggestion. But if they're going to go to all that expense and trouble to change the name of an entire university, shouldn't they take the offending letters from their student radio station with them? 

Really Underground radio is a great way to get away with it, but they should also maybe come up with a creative radio name, as I was suggesting, with calls only mentioned twice an hour...CJRU-Really underground radio (with further mention of where they broadcast from-new name of University)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.