sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 16, 2022 11:58 am  #1

Q107 Calgary Is Flipping

Announced by Tarzan Dan via Facebook and Instagram an hour ago, and his show this afternoon will be his last there. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmO6K-pOsSC/

Last edited by Preset4 (December 16, 2022 4:20 pm)

December 16, 2022 12:06 pm  #2

Re: Q107 Calgary Is Flipping

Always enjoyed Tarzan Dan going back to his days in Toronto. I hope he lands on his feet quickly.

I wonder what format they're flipping to.

December 16, 2022 12:13 pm  #3

eladb wrote:

Always enjoyed Tarzan Dan going back to his days in Toronto. I hope he lands on his feet quickly.

I wonder what format they're flipping to.

Don't forget he's also a very good photographer. 
I think that's more his hobby, but if he doesn't get back into radio, at least he has something to keep him busy.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 16, 2022 3:14 pm  #4

Our Q107 will stay as is? 

December 16, 2022 4:40 pm  #5

Not sure why this is in the Toronto Star, where it could easily be confused with our Q107, but for what it's worth:

Calgary Q107 host Tarzan Dan announces he’s leaving the rock station

According to an article in Broadcast Dialogue, the new format will officially be unveiled Jan. 9th. (You'd think they'd want to do it on Jan. 1 - "New Year, New Format" - but apparently not. 

December 16, 2022 5:05 pm  #6

BIG Changes.

December 16, 2022 5:48 pm  #7

If it is Big coming to Q Calgary they could keep the staff. The format is essentially the same just with a different name.
My thought is they are going to do something similar to boom (which they have in Ottawa and Cornwall) to compete with jack. As that is about the only format that doesn't have direct competition.

December 16, 2022 7:44 pm  #8

Been listening to Tarzan Dan on Q this afternoon.  Haven't heard him in decades and he sounds great. He is live with a Friday Fan Request Show.  It's good radio!

Not sure I really understand this.  Q107 Calgary last summer was #3 audience share, #12 daily cume (about 31,000 listeners behind Virgin which had the largest daily cume in a very tight market) and #2 average minute audience.  Yes this is 12+ blah blah blah, it shows that their audience tended to listen for long periods of time.  Overall respectable ratings and their best since 2007. Maybe the more recent 2022 fall book was poor?

Tarzan Dan said the station would become a juke box for a few weeks with no announcers and all music until they introduce the new name and format which is supposedly on Jan 9th. I don't know if all music means no commercials which would really be a shock.  Forgoing all commercials more than a week before Christmas and all Boxing Day and Boxing Week into the new year would be a huge chunk of revenue. 

The upside, Q is getting press coverage on all of this.  Odd that there was an ad in the Toronto Star.  Was this in the actual paper or on line?  No ad in the paper I bought earlier, but we get the Ontario edition of the Star.  Me thinks there may be more to this than meets the eye (or ear).

December 16, 2022 8:57 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

Been listening to Tarzan Dan on Q this afternoon.  Haven't heard him in decades and he sounds great. He is live with a Friday Fan Request Show.  It's good radio!

Not sure I really understand this.  Q107 Calgary last summer was #3 audience share, #12 daily cume (about 31,000 listeners behind Virgin which had the largest daily cume in a very tight market) and #2 average minute audience.  Yes this is 12+ blah blah blah, it shows that their audience tended to listen for long periods of time.  Overall respectable ratings and their best since 2007. Maybe the more recent 2022 fall book was poor?

Tarzan Dan said the station would become a juke box for a few weeks with no announcers and all music until they introduce the new name and format which is supposedly on Jan 9th. I don't know if all music means no commercials which would really be a shock.  Forgoing all commercials more than a week before Christmas and all Boxing Day and Boxing Week into the new year would be a huge chunk of revenue. 

The upside, Q is getting press coverage on all of this.  Odd that there was an ad in the Toronto Star.  Was this in the actual paper or on line?  No ad in the paper I bought earlier, but we get the Ontario edition of the Star.  Me thinks there may be more to this than meets the eye (or ear).

The summer ratings were an outlier, which they usually are. Q is usually around #12 where it matters.

December 17, 2022 2:12 am  #10

Coming up next we got Kim Mitchell and patio lanterns

Followed by No Sugar Tonight.

On classic rock…. Q107

Ya it’s time for a rebrand

December 17, 2022 12:41 pm  #11

You're correct. Tired format.

December 17, 2022 1:15 pm  #12

Mr magoogain wrote:

On classic rock…. Q107

So I don't have an issue with the format but I do wish they played more songs by bands. Also did special segments. 94.9 The rock in Oshawa plays whole albums Friday night at 11 I believe. Q could have done things like that as well as maybe a countdown, such as a top 20 for the week of august 1 1983 one week and then December 6 1975 the next. Could have done more when Taylor Hawkins passed away and they did the tribute concerts. Q could have played artists that influenced Taylor Hawkins. Could also do Rock hall of fame inductees (even ones that aren't Q artists) during a special time on induction weekend. Could have had someone host that show and talk about the significance of those artists. But for some reason, a lot of radio stations do everything cookie-cutter except the now/today formats. This is one of the reasons I pay for SiriusXM. Lots of shows there that are great. Artist takeovers. Lots of interviews. Live concerts. Radio the way it should be done.

December 17, 2022 2:53 pm  #13

Mr.Aldred wrote:

BIG Changes.

More likely CHR with a little Q in the middle

December 17, 2022 3:43 pm  #14

RadioAaron wrote:

Mr.Aldred wrote:

BIG Changes.

Does Jump sound right? Or would it still possibly be something else?
(Jump with a little Q in the middle...I think you get what I mean...)

Last edited by Radiowiz (December 17, 2022 3:44 pm)

December 17, 2022 4:46 pm  #15

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Mr.Aldred wrote:

BIG Changes.

Does Jump sound right? Or would it still possibly be something else?
(Jump with a little Q in the middle...I think you get what I mean...)

It’s a riddle, of sorts.

December 17, 2022 8:25 pm  #16

paterson1 wrote:

From the Calgary Herald:

"Ratings expert Chris Huff...noted the station’s most recently available Numeris PPM ratings showed Q107 in a good position — third in the Calgary market, though it followed periods of much lower placings. “Last summer, it was the largest share for any FM station and the largest share for them going back to 2007,” said Huff. 

“It may not have been a very good fall for them, there’s no way of knowing how much that summer was a fluke, a spike . . . You don’t make changes like this on a whim, it’s based on revenue.”

'I'm trying not to cry': Calgary classic rock Q107 signing off

December 17, 2022 10:37 pm  #17

Does Calgary have an All Bagpipes station?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

December 18, 2022 7:14 am  #18

Mr magoogain wrote:

On classic rock…. Q107

Here, let me add strength (or not) to your point while the playlist is still active:  https://q107fm.ca/music/

December 18, 2022 4:55 pm  #19

So normally I hear a lot regarding format changes months in advance. I knew about certain changes happening in the last 2 or 3 years months in advance, although the odd change I only really hear about with a couple of weeks' notice, such as Q107 Calgary, I think the most surprising thing about this, was 2 weeks ago I was in a call with someone I know quite well, and in that conversation, the focus was about Corus and the stations, and how things were going. One thing that was mentioned was the last few rating periods were fairly favorable for almost all of the companies' stations. In fact, all were making money and doing well, and the report about Q was going to bring changes behind the scenes, but the future of the stations was looking good. My source actually said that there had been a meeting recently and one thing that was discussed was bringing more talent to the rock stations. Better evening and weekend shows as well as more local shows during the day. The only thing I had heard from the meeting was they wanted a better direction on stations like Chuck and Peggy, but otherwise, they were happy with all the stations and were looking forward to moving on from the Derringer situation in Toronto. A new morning show is expected in the New Year, the host is from within the company already. More hiring to replace the host that is moving, also to fill other positions. One station that was looking for people was Q in Calgary, so I wonder why the changes happened so fast and what caused it. I would have expected at least a name or format change in Toronto at Q but not Calgary. 
From what I am hearing now from a few of my sources, the changes are going to bring a first-to-market format in Calgary and based on what my sources are saying they do not feel it will do well in the market because it has failed in other Canadian markets. 
I am starting to think it will either be a smooth jazz-type format or maybe something to do with hip-hop. One of which has failed recently in Toronto, and the Jazz format only really does well in Toronto (and not that good). 
I thought that maybe Q will do what Power did in Winnipeg a few years back, it flipped to a different format as BIG FM before becoming Power again. I feel they did that a few years ago to make the Power brand relevant again once it came back. Maybe that is what Corus thinks might work for them. 
Personally, I would enjoy seeing the new format as a classic alternative station similar to Freq 90.5 in Peterborough. But from what I have heard it will not be a rock-based station at all. So maybe hip-hop? Let's see what Jan 9 has to bring. 

December 18, 2022 7:04 pm  #20

It will be first for the market, sort of.

December 18, 2022 11:55 pm  #21

brian451 wrote:

So normally I hear a lot regarding format changes months in advance. I knew about certain changes happening in the last 2 or 3 years months in advance, although the odd change I only really hear about with a couple of weeks' notice, such as Q107 Calgary, I think the most surprising thing about this, was 2 weeks ago I was in a call with someone I know quite well, and in that conversation, the focus was about Corus and the stations, and how things were going. One thing that was mentioned was the last few rating periods were fairly favorable for almost all of the companies' stations. In fact, all were making money and doing well, and the report about Q was going to bring changes behind the scenes, but the future of the stations was looking good. My source actually said that there had been a meeting recently and one thing that was discussed was bringing more talent to the rock stations. Better evening and weekend shows as well as more local shows during the day. The only thing I had heard from the meeting was they wanted a better direction on stations like Chuck and Peggy, but otherwise, they were happy with all the stations and were looking forward to moving on from the Derringer situation in Toronto. A new morning show is expected in the New Year, the host is from within the company already. More hiring to replace the host that is moving, also to fill other positions. One station that was looking for people was Q in Calgary, so I wonder why the changes happened so fast and what caused it. I would have expected at least a name or format change in Toronto at Q but not Calgary. 
From what I am hearing now from a few of my sources, the changes are going to bring a first-to-market format in Calgary and based on what my sources are saying they do not feel it will do well in the market because it has failed in other Canadian markets. 
I am starting to think it will either be a smooth jazz-type format or maybe something to do with hip-hop. One of which has failed recently in Toronto, and the Jazz format only really does well in Toronto (and not that good). 
I thought that maybe Q will do what Power did in Winnipeg a few years back, it flipped to a different format as BIG FM before becoming Power again. I feel they did that a few years ago to make the Power brand relevant again once it came back. Maybe that is what Corus thinks might work for them. 
Personally, I would enjoy seeing the new format as a classic alternative station similar to Freq 90.5 in Peterborough. But from what I have heard it will not be a rock-based station at all. So maybe hip-hop? Let's see what Jan 9 has to bring. 

So to summarize: You didn't know about Q107 in Calgary, and expected a format flip in Toronto that hasn't happened, you don't know who the new host will be in Toronto, but know that when that host leaves their current job they will need to be replaced, you think a "new to Calgary" format is coming and suspect it could be one of two possibilities that are wildly different from each other, and you have a feeling about why Big became Power again but you don't seem completely confident on that.  But you know lots about format changes weeks or months in advance.  

December 19, 2022 12:50 am  #22

Tomas Barlow wrote:

So to summarize: You didn't know about Q107 in Calgary, and expected a format flip in Toronto that hasn't happened, you don't know who the new host will be in Toronto, but know that when that host leaves their current job they will need to be replaced, you think a "new to Calgary" format is coming and suspect it could be one of two possibilities that are wildly different from each other, and you have a feeling about why Big became Power again but you don't seem completely confident on that.  But you know lots about format changes weeks or months in advance. 

Actually to clarify I know the new show at Q107. I know what station they are coming from. I also know the changes at that station. Plus I know a lot more. I just cannot say anything. My whole point was the Q Calgary flip is a bigger shock as I had heard recently that they were going to hire more people for the station. So if they do that then maybe some of these other changes are not going to happen.

January 5, 2023 12:38 pm  #23

The new format, whatever it is, will be revealed on Jan. 9th. In the meantime, this clip of Tarzan Dan's final statement has surfaced. He talks about being unemployed in typical good humour. 

Tarzan Dan's Famous Last Words On Q107 Calgary

January 8, 2023 1:03 pm  #24

January 8, 2023 1:40 pm  #25

RadioAaron wrote:

I am not fully aware of the Calgary radio market. If 770 goes FM does this mean 770 AM shuts down? Or does it get sold to a multicultural source...or perhaps a multicultural source that would love a stronger signal than what they have now? 

January 8, 2023 1:43 pm  #26

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

I am not fully aware of the Calgary radio market. If 770 goes FM does this mean 770 AM shuts down? Or does it get sold to a multicultural source...or perhaps a multicultural source that would love a stronger signal than what they have now? 

Maybe down the road, but my guess is it will simulcast for quite a while. Going to take time to move the older listeners.

January 8, 2023 6:58 pm  #27

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

I think this might be it. I'm listening to Q Calgary right now and they are stunting with songs that all have the word "Talk" In them.

January 8, 2023 7:03 pm  #28

RadioAaron wrote:

Mr.Aldred wrote:

BIG Changes.

I stand by this bad riddle.

January 8, 2023 7:54 pm  #29

They're going to simulcast AM and FM and see if the CRTC allows it...if they do, watch for that to happen elsewhere.

January 8, 2023 7:59 pm  #30

Rune wrote:

They're going to simulcast AM and FM and see if the CRTC allows it...if they do, watch for that to happen elsewhere.

CityNews 101.1 "Ottawa" is already breaking like three rules. Precedent is set.