sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 7, 2022 12:15 pm  #1

CRTC Makes Huge Changes To Cdn. Radio On Music, Ownership Rules & More

The CRTC has released some long-expected clarifications to several regulations governing Canadian commercial radio stations.  

Among the highlights on CanCon rules, if you can call them that, from the CRTC's press release:

To support Canadian artists, the CRTC is:

• upholding requirements for Canadian content and French-language vocal music
  • ensuring that Canadian and French-language vocal music requirements can no longer be circumvented through montages of popular non-Canadian songs
  • setting an expectation that commercial stations play at least 5% of songs from emerging Canadian artists, and
  • launching, in the near future, a consultation that will examine the approach to Canadian content development (CCD) contributions by commercial radio broadcasters and ensure that funding reaches diverse initiatives.

To provide more flexibility to the radio industry, the CRTC is:

• moving towards new criteria to determine if a song is Canadian, and refining some content categories that will broaden the eligible songs that stations can play to meet their Canadian content requirements
  • working to implement a new digital monitoring system and open music database that will reduce the regulatory burden on broadcasters
  • eliminating the “hits policy” in Montreal and Ottawa-Gatineau; and
  • allowing broadcasters to operate one more FM station in the same market, under certain conditions.

Another change should prove challenging for some stations - "The CRTC also expects commercial radio stations to include Indigenous music in their playlists and to report annually on the amount of Indigenous content aired." 

How would a primarily oldies formatted station deal with that one, like AM 740 or The Grand? It's not like there are a lot of Indigenous artists from those years to expand into their playlists. I'll be curious to see how they deal with that requirement. 

Also problematic to me: the one about possibly allowing the Rogers and Bells of the world to operate even more FM stations in the same market. But it may not affect us in the GTA - there's not much room for any more stations here no matter who owns them, unless they buy out some existing outlets. 

For now, they're not touching HD Radio, insisting it "lies outside the scope of the present proceedings."

December 7, 2022 12:20 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Makes Huge Changes To Cdn. Radio On Music, Ownership Rules & More

RadioActive wrote:

Also problematic to me: the one about possibly allowing the Rogers and Bells of the world to operate even more FM stations in the same market. But it may not affect us in the GTA - there's not much room for any more stations here no matter who owns them, unless they buy out some existing outlets. 

That will be huge in the GTA

December 7, 2022 12:26 pm  #3

Here's their take on forcing more airplay for "emerging artists:"

"...Given the importance of broadcasting musical selections from emerging artists as a means of ensuring the discoverability of those artists, sustaining a vibrant Canadian musical industry, and providing listeners with the variety they seek, the Commission finds that it must encourage the broadcast of emerging artists’ music on commercial radio stations, and that it must gather more information on the situation facing these artists as soon as possible.

"Accordingly, the Commission expects commercial radio stations that are not already required by condition of licence to broadcast music by emerging artists to devote, in each broadcast week, at least 5% of their musical selections to selections from Canadian emerging artists. Further, it expects licensees of those stations to report annually on how they have met that expectation."

While many here will possibly welcome these changes, I continue to be disturbed by a government agency forcing radio stations to play a certain kind of music or artists by fiat. They need to stop this. Instead, they're going even farther. While I have nothing against "emerging artists" (and how you define that, I'm not sure) and 5% isn't a lot, if it doesn't fit the format, it's going to stand out like a sore thumb. 

But under these rules, they'll have no choice. 

CRTC Rule Change

December 7, 2022 12:35 pm  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Here are the new rules, with the first applying to the GTA:

• for markets with eight commercial radio stations or more operating in a given language, a person may be permitted to own or control as many as four stations, with a maximum of three stations within one frequency band (FM or AM) in that language; and
  • for markets with fewer than eight commercial radio stations operating in a given language, a person may be permitted to own or control as many as three stations operating in that language, with no limits on frequency band.

As for being forced to contribute to Canadian Content Development, the new edicts are these, pending any last minute changes.

• groups with revenues below $10 million would not be required to pay CCD contributions;
  • groups with annual revenues of $10 to $50 million would be required to allocate 0.5% of their annual revenues to CCD contributions; and
  • groups with annual revenues over $50 million would be required to allocate 1% of their annual revenues to CCD contributions.

December 7, 2022 12:40 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Here are the new rules, with the first applying to the GTA:

• for markets with eight commercial radio stations or more operating in a given language, a person may be permitted to own or control as many as four stations, with a maximum of three stations within one frequency band (FM or AM) in that language; and
  • for markets with fewer than eight commercial radio stations operating in a given language, a person may be permitted to own or control as many as three stations operating in that language, with no limits on frequency band.

Yep, that's huge.

December 7, 2022 12:41 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Here's their take on forcing more airplay for "emerging artists:"

"...Given the importance of broadcasting musical selections from emerging artists as a means of ensuring the discoverability of those artists, sustaining a vibrant Canadian musical industry, and providing listeners with the variety they seek, the Commission finds that it must encourage the broadcast of emerging artists’ music on commercial radio stations, and that it must gather more information on the situation facing these artists as soon as possible.

"Accordingly, the Commission expects commercial radio stations that are not already required by condition of licence to broadcast music by emerging artists to devote, in each broadcast week, at least 5% of their musical selections to selections from Canadian emerging artists. Further, it expects licensees of those stations to report annually on how they have met that expectation."

While many here will possibly welcome these changes, I continue to be disturbed by a government agency forcing radio stations to play a certain kind of music or artists by fiat. They need to stop this. Instead, they're going even farther. While I have nothing against "emerging artists" (and how you define that, I'm not sure) and 5% isn't a lot, if it doesn't fit the format, it's going to stand out like a sore thumb. 

But under these rules, they'll have no choice. 

CRTC Rule Change

They say they'll assess compliance on a station-by-station basis and take format into consideration. This obviously needs some calrification, but I'd bet boom and Q could wiggle out of it.

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 7, 2022 12:51 pm)

December 7, 2022 12:47 pm  #7

According to the CRTC, this is what an "emerging artist" is defined as for now (although they admit they'll need more time to come up with a better definition if this one doesn't work.)

A Canadian artist shall be considered an emerging artist until a period of 48 months has elapsed since the release of the artist’s first commercially marketed song.

For the purpose of this definition, the concept of artist includes duos, trios or groups of artists operating under a defined identity. If a member of a duo, trio or group begins a solo career or creates with other partners a new duo, trio or group with a new identity, the solo artist or duo, trio or group shall be considered an “emerging artist” according to the above criteria.

Again, 5% doesn't sound like a lot, but if your format doesn't allow for something new, it could potentially be a problem, if the CRTC plays the stickler on this. 

December 7, 2022 12:56 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

To provide more flexibility to the radio industry, the CRTC is:

• eliminating the “hits policy” in Montreal and Ottawa-Gatineau

20 years too late, but we'll take it!

December 7, 2022 1:15 pm  #9

December 7, 2022 1:52 pm  #10

Okay, so,
If an FM repeater exists, does it count as one of the FM's? 
Buying an AM + the FM repeater...what happens then? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 7, 2022 1:52 pm  #11

torontostan wrote:

Looks like there's about to be a couple bidders (Rogers, Bell, Stingray, Pattison, and so on) for CIND, CIDC or CKFG (the only independent english FMs in Toronto). As such, CFTR, CJCL, CFRB, or CHUM-AM could be up for sale shortly.  

I don't see this as a good thing. It can certainly be argued that the corporatization, if that's a word, of radio has not been to the benefit of many listeners. Cookie cutter formats, the same old-same old and synergies (read: layoffs) have been the result of what we already have. 

You only have to look at the U.S. to see where this leads. I grew up loving the stations in the Buffalo market, the closest American radio to Toronto. WGR, WKBW, WYSL and WBEN were all owned by different companies. And they went after each other hammer and tongs, competing fiercely for listeners. And you know what? It made all of them better. They were truly great stations, with WGR winning Billboard's "Station Of The Year" award several times over the years. 

And then the FCC allowed increased ownership in a given city. The result? All the things that made those outlets great completely disappeared. WGR, WBEN and WWKB are now all owned by the same entity - Audacy. And they're all a lot less interesting to listen to. I will grant you that things have changed for AM radio stations and broadcasting in general since this happened.

But I will make the case that allowing one company to own too many stations in a given city does not improve any of them. In fact, the opposite is too often true. Cookie cutter formats, lack of creativity, mass firings, importing of supposedly "local" shows that are anything but and fewer employment opportunities are the usual result. Just take a look at what Bell did to CFRB, its programming and its newsroom, if you need an example. 

That's not the kind of radio I really want to hear. But I guess more of it may be in the offing. 

December 7, 2022 1:56 pm  #12

torontostan wrote:

Looks like there's about to be a couple bidders (Rogers, Bell, Stingray, Pattison, and so on) for CIND, CIDC or CKFG (the only independent english FMs in Toronto). As such, CFTR, CJCL, CFRB, or CHUM-AM could be up for sale shortly. 

That's the sort of easy/obvious answer, but I'd think bigger. Inevitably, and it'll be complicated, every major *remaining* group will have 3 *full-power* FMs

December 7, 2022 1:57 pm  #13

Radiowiz wrote:

Okay, so,

The repeater you're thinking about is considered its own station

December 7, 2022 2:02 pm  #14

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Okay, so,

The repeater you're thinking about is considered its own station

And nobody will be interested in buying Zoomer. 

December 7, 2022 2:11 pm  #15

Or, apparently, listening to it.

December 7, 2022 2:13 pm  #16

RadioAaron wrote:

torontostan wrote:

That's the sort of easy/obvious answer, but I'd think bigger. Inevitably, and it'll be complicated, every major *remaining* group will have 3 *full-power* FMs

Fair point. I suppose you're implying that Corus will put their stations up for sale? They will be strapped for cash, so it makes sense. I don't see Rogers, Bell or Stingray getting out of Toronto radio anytime soon. 

December 7, 2022 4:14 pm  #17

torontostan wrote:

Fair point. I suppose you're implying that Corus will put their stations up for sale? They will be strapped for cash, so it makes sense. I don't see Rogers, Bell or Stingray getting out of Toronto radio anytime soon. 

Stingray has the advantage of no AM stations, so they can easily buy a third FM and ONE AM (if desired)
Somehow though I don't really know if Indy 88 is for sale...

December 7, 2022 5:38 pm  #18

Two observations:

1.  It is a downright embarrassment that the CRTC took more than 2 yrs to complete this review.   They have 500 employees!  There needs to be a CRTC review.

2.   Overall this is really a nothingburger.   One more FM isn't going to dramatically change the landscape of operations.  If Corus owns INDIE or Z1035 what does it really change?  Not much.  5% emerging artist music... for the last decade no one in radio has been able to describe what it means... so it's just more of the same.  Maybe in a smaller market like Kingston or Peterborough you move from three operators to 2... not sure that's good for anyone?

This doesn't make radio more exciting or dramatically more profitable.  It doesn't encourage anyone to get in or out of the industry. There will not be a big shift in the business which is what is needed to encourage innovation and growth.    Just more of the same with a small dash of more government BS.

December 7, 2022 6:00 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

According to the CRTC, this is what an "emerging artist" is defined as for now (although they admit they'll need more time to come up with a better definition if this one doesn't work.)

A Canadian artist shall be considered an emerging artist until a period of 48 months has elapsed since the release of the artist’s first commercially marketed song.

For the purpose of this definition, the concept of artist includes duos, trios or groups of artists operating under a defined identity. If a member of a duo, trio or group begins a solo career or creates with other partners a new duo, trio or group with a new identity, the solo artist or duo, trio or group shall be considered an “emerging artist” according to the above criteria.

Again, 5% doesn't sound like a lot, but if your format doesn't allow for something new, it could potentially be a problem, if the CRTC plays the stickler on this. 

For stations that play some newer music, this shouldn't be an issue. But how are classic hits formats supposed to play "emerging artists"? Sounds like the CRTC didn't think this through, even thought they were working in this for what... two years?

December 7, 2022 6:05 pm  #20

RadioQuiz wrote:

ew.

2. Overall this is really a nothingburger. One more FM isn't going to dramatically change the landscape of operations. If Corus owns INDIE or Z1035 what does it really change? Not much. 5% emerging artist music... for the last decade no one in radio has been able to describe what it means... so it's just more of the same. Maybe in a smaller market like Kingston or Peterborough you move from three operators to 2... not sure that's good for anyone?

You're ignoring the very fact that the golden ticket is that 103.5 can easily be the loophole to allow Indie and 103.5 to fall into the same hands. Just simply declare that 103.5 really IS serving Orangeville and NOT operating as a Toronto station. (local news and all...) 

December 7, 2022 6:10 pm  #21

I thought there would have been more dramatic changes, but here we are.  The ownership modifications might be interesting.  Wonder if any of the big players will try to unload any AM stations across the country?  Or will some very underperforming AM operations be closed?

Cancon just looks like they are going to open up what will be classified as Canadian.  So look for more airplay from popular international cancon artists.  And new material that involves some collaborations will be more likely to be classified as cancon where it hasn't been in the past.  

Emerging artists is not a big deal and the playing of indigenous artists for now at least is more encouragement to play some and not a regulation.

Ottawa and Montreal finally get to be all hits all the time if they want.   I hope a few will continue to mix in some non hits.  That's what made radio in Ottawa and Montreal so good. 

Didn't see anything on foreign ownership.  Or could this ultimately be another government agency?

December 7, 2022 6:12 pm  #22

torontostan wrote:

There's going to be some stations changing hands, that's for sure.

It will be interesting the see if CJOY in Guelph will make a third attempt at moving to FM. They got screwed last time cause the CRTC tried to claim that CJDV in Cambridge and CING in Hamilton were both Guelph stations since both stations primary coverage maps entered Guelph.

And in Kitchener, the 97.9 Frequency is available for Rogers to use (first adjacent to CHFI which Rogers would give approval for). Do they move CityNews to FM... or do they try to bring an additional station into the cluster? They tried to bring KISS to Kitchener many years ago on that frequency but were denied.

December 7, 2022 6:17 pm  #23

Any time you set an arbitrary quota on certain kinds of content, this can happen. One size does not fit all. That's what makes radio what it is - the choice of different formats, done in different ways. It's not like stamping out floor tiles in a factory, which all come out the same. There's a finesse, some creativity and judgment in how a station ultimately sounds and who it's trying to attract. 

These guys make the rules and then expect radio people to figure out a way to adapt to them while maintaining their audience. Even if it's not good for the format they've chosen.  

As torontostan points out in his post, they didn't impose a number on playing Indigenous artists, only that they'd like to see more of it, which leads me to believe this is virtue signaling on the part of the Commission. "Look how inclusive we're trying to be!" But yet there's no regulation that insists on it.

But then again, this IS the CRTC. They also noted they were considering this provision and there may be more to come on it down the road. Which means there may be an actual edict in the future.  Again, if that were to happen how would certain stations with formats that don't fit possibly fulfill it? How many times can an oldies station play "Indian Cowboy" by Buffy Sainte-Marie? 

This is why I can't stand when bureaucrats make rules for an industry they clearly don't understand. Despite past arguments, I have nothing against Canadian music. Some of it is great. But forcing a certain amount from column A and another from column B doesn't make for good format consistency. The Commission either doesn't understand this or doesn't care. Five percent for "emerging artists," though small, is absurd. But it opens the door to more in the future. And even they admit they might have to change the definition. 

This affects hundreds of radio stations across the country. After two years, it almost looks like they either didn't care or just put in whatever they thought looked good. If only people who actually worked in radio toiled on the CRTC. Instead, we get bureaucrats interfering in the music mix. This is why I get so angry with the Commission and their over-regulation.

Licence stations. Deal with interference issues, via ISED. Make rules about supporting CanCon with cash donations. But lay off the rest. Stop making decisions that belong with programmers not unelected commissioners who have no idea what they're doing. 

A pox on all their houses. 

December 7, 2022 6:26 pm  #24

RA, you can only pull the Chicken Little act so many times.  Let's not overreact, all businesses have rules and guidelines. 

December 7, 2022 6:35 pm  #25

Yes, I get emotional and angry when people I consider unqualified interfere with an industry I've loved since I was a little kid. And they never make it better. 

I would not hire a baker to run my steel factory. Why should unqualified and unelected bureaucrats have a say on the content of my radio station? Have any of them ever actually worked in the business? If not, what makes them sudden experts on what listeners want to hear? That's hard enough for the pros to figure out, let alone some faceless jokers in Hull, Quebec.

Radio is already in enough trouble without adding extra roadblocks in its way. 

Am I overreacting somewhat? Probably. But this kind of idiocy has driven me crazy for years. And as far too many here can testify, it's not a long drive! 

December 7, 2022 6:40 pm  #26

RadioQuiz wrote:

2. Overall this is really a nothingburger. One more FM isn't going to dramatically change the landscape of operations. If Corus owns INDIE or Z1035 what does it really change? Not much.

Again I think we have to think bigger on this. Whenever there's a regulatory change, the biggest broadcasters always end up with the biggest stations available. We have some big stations essentially owned by a bank, others in a radio heavy company that's struggling. The definition of what's "available" can be surprising. Did anyone have Stingray coming out of nowhere and buying one of the biggest radio broadcasters in the country?

There are so many possibilities now open that trying to guess how it goes is fruitless.

One thing I would bet on though, is the way they've structured it, we'll be seeing the end of a big AM frequency or two, at least as english language outlets.

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 7, 2022 6:48 pm)

December 7, 2022 6:42 pm  #27

TheWiz wrote:

torontostan wrote:

There's going to be some stations changing hands, that's for sure.

It will be interesting the see if CJOY in Guelph will make a third attempt at moving to FM. They got screwed last time cause the CRTC tried to claim that CJDV in Cambridge and CING in Hamilton were both Guelph stations since both stations primary coverage maps entered Guelph.

And in Kitchener, the 97.9 Frequency is available for Rogers to use (first adjacent to CHFI which Rogers would give approval for). Do they move CityNews to FM... or do they try to bring an additional station into the cluster? They tried to bring KISS to Kitchener many years ago on that frequency but were denied.

I doubt that they would bring KISS to Kitchener I don't think it would do well with 91.5 The Beat or 105.3 Virgin Radio both of them are Top 40 formats. Unless the KISS brand would be an Hot AC format like in Ottawa and Sudbury.

December 7, 2022 6:46 pm  #28

paterson1 wrote:

Ottawa and Montreal finally get to be all hits all the time if they want.   I hope a few will continue to mix in some non hits.  That's what made radio in Ottawa and Montreal so good. 

To an industry observer, not an average listener. If one station removes non-hits, their competitors have to too, or they'll get crushed overnight. 

I wouldn't be surprised if tonight's music logs aren't already being re-done.

December 7, 2022 6:50 pm  #29

pay attention to the wording.  encouragement and expectations are NOT the same as requirement or condition of licence.  don't get all bent out of shape about what was said.

December 7, 2022 7:17 pm  #30

splunge wrote:

pay attention to the wording.  encouragement and expectations are NOT the same as requirement or condition of licence.  don't get all bent out of shape about what was said.

Yup. They even tempered it themselves saying it's case-by-case and format dependant.