sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 29, 2022 1:08 am  #1

Two Big Events In Cdn. Media On Dec. 1st: One Online, The Other On Air

December 1st is more than just an ordinary Thursday. It’s not only a new month, but the beginning of two big media changes in Canada.

The first is the arrival of Vassy Kapelos at CTV, permanently taking the place of the departed Evan Solomon. She’ll apparently be doing triple duty for her new network, appearing on Power Play on their news network, fronting Question Period on Sundays, and hosting the noon-2 PM show from Monday-Thursday on the iHeart Radio Network, the program formerly hosted by Solomon.

It's not clear exactly when she’ll take over all three, but she officially starts Dec. 1st. This completes the circuit for Kapelos, who previously worked for the CBC and Global. 

The other big news for Canadians is that there’s a new “FAST” (Free Ad-Supported Streaming TV) service debuting in this country, scheduled for the first of December, a name all too familiar to Americans. And it’s a very good one. If things are on schedule, you won’t need a VPN to watch Plutotv, an entity that features hundreds of movies and TV shows that won’t cost you a cent.

The service, which is owned by Paramount (aka CBS) in the U.S., has partnered with Corus here, so expect a large number of the Canadian giant’s shows to appear on the platform. In addition to hits like NCIS and Judge Judy, and movies ranging from Forrest Gump to Titanic, which can be watched on demand, there are a plethora of categories to choose from. 

We’ll have to wait to see what’s available here, but in the U.S. those choices include Crime, Reality, Game Shows, Comedy and Classic TV.

“Live Stream” TV channels, which are on whenever you happen to tune in, include non-stop showings of Jeopardy! (the Alex Trebek version), a sci fi channel called “Pluto Fantastic,” a drama station, an outlet that programs nothing but Daytime TV, along with categories such as Food, Music and Kids, among others.

The Canadian version is bound to be a bit different, since not all the rights to the American shows will be available up here. But if it’s even close to its U.S. counterpart, it’s a service you may want to check out, hopefully if all is ready to go, on Thursday.

The American channel line-up is featured below. Our mileage here may vary.

November 29, 2022 2:28 am  #2

Re: Two Big Events In Cdn. Media On Dec. 1st: One Online, The Other On Air

I think the American version has a Sci Fi option, but the Canadian version does not.
This being, simply because CTV is holding onto all the Sci FI rights with their CTV Sci Fi channel (aka Space)

Unless Corus has managed to fill 24 hrs of Sci Fi content that Bell has failed to already snatch up... (?)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 29, 2022 7:43 am  #3

The U.S. version is more about sci fi movies than TV series, so it's likely there's something available. A lot of those old sci fi flicks were pretty shlocky, so it's possible the high camp versions are around. Hopefully, we'll find out what they have in mind if they're ready to launch on Thursday. 

November 29, 2022 1:05 pm  #4

And the third big event on December 1st will come minutes after Plutotv launches. No doubt a few SOWNY members will complain how the Canadian service is lame because it is not exactly the same as the American.
"No Walter Brennan and the Real McCoys!!?  I refuse to watch this watered down version of Plutotv then...."

November 30, 2022 2:59 pm  #5

It's Nov 30, and PlutoTV Canada is already up and running. As far as the news lineup, all of Global's news channels (national + local stations) are on there, plus CBS News and Cheddar business news.

November 30, 2022 3:04 pm  #6

They must have launched early, because I was at the site yesterday and there was only a "Coming Soon" screen up. Perhaps a way to work out the bugs. 

Plutotv.ca if you'd like a look.

November 30, 2022 3:26 pm  #7

I'll have to check out the US vs Canada feeds!

November 30, 2022 3:32 pm  #8

Maybe they also bumped it up a day since CBC's new service Explore launched earlier today?   Likely a good idea to have a soft opening.  Anyone seen promo on Global yet?   CTV has sure been pushing their CTV Throwback service a lot over the past few months. 

November 30, 2022 3:48 pm  #9

The FAST stuff is quickly becoming another good revenue stream for all these guys. Costs them very little and they hope the sheer variety of stuff available will bring them lots of eyeballs and big returns. Mostly reruns for the moment, but who knows where this could go one day? As I always say, you can't beat free. 

November 30, 2022 3:56 pm  #10

Here's an issue with Pluto in Canada.  Because Corus controls the ad sales here, nobody else wants to really distribute the "app" on their platforms.  If you have a 3rd party system like a Nvidia Shield or smart tv that can get the app, that's one thing, but I wouldn't expect to see it pop up on FAST channel distribution competitors like say Rogers, Shaw, Telus and others.  Why would they bother??  There is no revenue available.

November 30, 2022 4:15 pm  #11

Now we need Tubitv to come here. So far, it remains restricted to the U.S. But it also has lots of great stuff. Not sure who would partner with them here, though. Bell puts all its efforts into its own FAST services, along with Crave. Maybe Rogers? They surrendered Shomi a long time ago before pay-streaming really became a big deal, and while they have a limited version of a Rogers service around today, it's a poor cousin to Bell, which went whole hog and reaped the rewards. 

Tubi is great but those without a VPN can't see it here. I was just browsing through its available live streams and it contains one interesting newcomer - CBC Explore. That didn't take long. 

November 30, 2022 4:24 pm  #12

Tubi.tv is available in Canada.  Crackle used to be here but is gone.

Last edited by mcelotto (November 30, 2022 4:24 pm)

November 30, 2022 4:37 pm  #13

Here's what I get without a VPN, unless it's going under some other address in Canada.

November 30, 2022 4:43 pm  #14

I probably watch Tubi the most out of all the services we have.. it's amazing what they have for content.  Tubi is available in Canada but using a vpn gets some different content.  Maybe it's how you access it @RadioActive?  I use the Shields.

November 30, 2022 5:02 pm  #15

Tubi is available in Canada I use it all the time on my Roku device. 

November 30, 2022 5:10 pm  #16

pinto wrote:

I probably watch Tubi the most out of all the services we have.. it's amazing what they have for content.  Tubi is available in Canada but using a vpn gets some different content.  Maybe it's how you access it @RadioActive?  I use the Shields.

Perhaps. I just went to their address, using Tubitv.com and Tubitv.ca. Neither works for me in Canada without a VPN. I wonder why?

Update: I think I see why. When I turn my VPN to Canada, I get the "Sorry not available" graphic above. But when I turn the VPN off altogether, I get through. I had no idea they were doing that.   

Last edited by RadioActive (November 30, 2022 5:12 pm)

November 30, 2022 6:18 pm  #17

I checked one of my favorite series - Perry Mason

Pluto USA has the first four seasons
Pluto Canada has four EPISODES in total. 

Last edited by cash (November 30, 2022 6:18 pm)

December 1, 2022 10:23 am  #18

Just heard the first spot for Plutotv on 640, which makes sense because it has Corus behind it. I wonder if they'll try advertising on any other stations owned by the competition. The spot confirms the platform has more than 100 channels, compared to the 250+ of its American counterpart, but I think that's to be expected, with so many rights here already gobbled up by others. Plus, it leaves room for future expansion.

At least it's now established in Canada and I would hope more of them of this quality are on the way in the near future. As far as I'm concerned, the more freebies, the better.

December 1, 2022 10:58 am  #19

This official press release offers an overview of what's available on Canada's version of PlutoTV. And it appears we were right yesterday - Nov. 30 was the test. Dec. 1st is the actual launch date.

December 1, 2022 11:15 am  #20

Pluto TV in the US streams classic Jeopardy! episodes with Alex Trebek.

Not seeing it on the Canadian one.

December 1, 2022 11:18 am  #21

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Obviously a rights issue. Corus does not own Jeopardy! in Canada. (I think CTS shows it here.) So it's not on our version of Pluto. But a spokesman for the new offering was just on Alex Pierson's AM 640 show and insisted the 110 channels available at launch are just the beginning and that more will be added "in the coming months." Maybe the Trebek years will be one of them. 

December 1, 2022 1:05 pm  #22

Yes since the service here has only been on for one day, I am sure it will be evolving with more shows and seasons in the months ahead.  Since Plutotv and CBC Explore don't cost anything, the public will be casual with how they use the service if at all.  I am sure most people that have watched something so far are fine with what is offered and will be looking for more additions and variety to keep them coming back.

CBC News Network gave a fair bit of exposure to CBC Explore yesterday with promos and interviews with host Michael Chang.  Explore is promising more in depth coverage, documentaries and conversations. I am not sure how much content they have that is ready to go.  Chang however was a good choice to head this up IMO. 

The key is promotion and the average viewer understanding how and where they can watch Plutotv and Explore.  As mentioned before, Bell certainly promotes CTV Thowback a lot.  How popular it is would be anyone's guess. CBC will have a challenge promoting Explore since they don't have the infrastructure of Bell and Corus with all of their radio stations, specialty channels and networks. 

December 1, 2022 2:19 pm  #23

CBC Radio One is very popular in many parts of the country, so I'm sure they'll be running promos on there in between shows and probably even during some of the regional drive time programs. 

Regarding Jeopardy, I did see an ad for a Classic Jeopardy channel while I was watching the Frasier channel yesterday. Must've been an oversight. 

December 2, 2022 8:41 am  #24

RadioActive wrote:

They must have launched early, because I was at the site yesterday and there was only a "Coming Soon" screen up. Perhaps a way to work out the bugs. 

Plutotv.ca if you'd like a look.

I've had a go at this several times now. Plutotv.ca just gets changed to pluto.tv and and old episode of CSI starts playing with no other options like menu, home, etc.

Am I doing something wrong?  BTW, I don't have a VPN.

December 2, 2022 8:48 am  #25

Try Pluto.tv - although I find it tries to instantly take you to a video, which is annoying. Not sure why it does that. I tried it on two separate fresh browsers. '

One took me to a Christmas movie I wasn't in the least bit interested in. The other took me, to yep, NCIS. But you can navigate away from them by using the menus "Live TV" or "On Demand" at the top of the screen.  There's also a search option.

The other thing I find really irritating about the design - and it's the same on both the U.S. and Canadian sites - is the screen that appears in the middle of the menu. You can't get rid of it unless you makie it bigger and it starts playing whether you want it to or not.

Either way, hope that helps and good luck!

December 3, 2022 10:39 am  #26

RadioActive wrote:

Try Pluto.tv - although I find it tries to instantly take you to a video, which is annoying. Not sure why it does that. I tried it on two separate fresh browsers. '

One took me to a Christmas movie I wasn't in the least bit interested in. The other took me, to yep, NCIS. But you can navigate away from them by using the menus "Live TV" or "On Demand" at the top of the screen.  There's also a search option.

The other thing I find really irritating about the design - and it's the same on both the U.S. and Canadian sites - is the screen that appears in the middle of the menu. You can't get rid of it unless you makie it bigger and it starts playing whether you want it to or not.

Either way, hope that helps and good luck!

Thanks for the tip RA. I tried it again on pluto.tv and still got CSI. There was no menu at the top of the screen. Mind you I was using a tablet and not a traditional computer.  I'm not too fussed as I've got many other streaming options.

December 3, 2022 12:38 pm  #27

RadioActive wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Obviously a rights issue. Corus does not own Jeopardy! in Canada. (I think CTS shows it here.) So it's not on our version of Pluto. But a spokesman for the new offering was just on Alex Pierson's AM 640 show and insisted the 110 channels available at launch are just the beginning and that more will be added "in the coming months." Maybe the Trebek years will be one of them. 

CTS is only Ontario and Alberta. Jeopardy rights elsewhere in Canada are held by NTV in Newfoundland and CHEK in Victoria, BC.

December 3, 2022 1:31 pm  #28

Pluto tv is terrible to navigate even on the nvidia shield.

December 5, 2022 4:22 pm  #29

Frasier ran for 11 seasons but don't tell Pluto TV that...that's twice (at least) since they've launched in Canada that they've aired the first five seasons on their Frasier channel, then went back to the beginning of the show.

December 5, 2022 4:56 pm  #30

They may not have the rights to the entire run. Sometimes, stations only buy certain seasons of a long running show, extending or adding the missing years afterwards.