sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 29, 2022 12:50 am  #1

Last remaining CBC LPRT AM transmitter in eastern Ontario moving to FM

For those who may have missed this from my post regarding "Last remaining CBC LPRT AM transmitter in eastern Ontario moving to FM" posted on September 21, 2022 https://gta.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=8530

The CBC (ICI Radio-Canada Premiere) received an approval from the CRTC on November 28, 2022 to convert the low-power relay transmitter CBOF-4 in Rolphton, Ontario from AM 1400 kHz to FM 98.5 MHz.

Link to CRTC Decision from November 28, 2022:
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2022/2022-324.htm

This leaves at least 5 more LPRT's left in Ontario and also making AM 1400 the last graveyard frequency in Ontario to be shutdown.

Here's a list of the five remaining LPRT's in Ontario (both English and French networks). Source Wikipedia.

•CBES 690 AM Ignace - CBC Radio One

•CBON-12 1090 AM Mattawa Ici Radio-Canada Première

•CBLO 1240 AM Mattawa CBC Radio One

•CBLE 1240 AM Beardmore CBC Radio One

•CBLF 1450 AM Foleyet CBC Radio One

There's still a handful of CBC low power relay transmitters across Canada with most of them in British Columbia and Quebec. It's unknown when these remaining CBC LPRT's in Ontario and the rest of Canada will either move to FM or shutdown completely.

November 29, 2022 2:26 pm  #2

Re: Last remaining CBC LPRT AM transmitter in eastern Ontario moving to FM

Those LPRTs sure have tiny coverage areas. I remember when Bancroft used to have one, and tuning in CBC at 600 AM when driving through there. You were barely out of town when the signal dropped completely!

November 29, 2022 2:31 pm  #3

How much power do they radiate? Has anyone ever seen one of them. How tall are the towers?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 29, 2022 3:00 pm  #4

The LPRTs have usually been about 40 watts, coming from a little antenna atop a short wooden pole. I've seen the sites at Bancroft and Deep River before they converted to FM, and that's more or less what they were.

The Bancroft FM signal is at the ex-AM site near the former railway station... little more than a sat dish, equipment shack and a very low two-bay antenna on the pole.

November 29, 2022 3:17 pm  #5

Any idea what is their ERP. Will it provide any greater coverage range than the AM did?

I'm unfamiliar with the Bancroft area. Is ther no one living in the surroundin area?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 29, 2022 4:32 pm  #6

I believe ERP is not much more than 100-200 watts, and in the case of Bancroft, the site is way down low, beside the York River, so the FM signal really only covers what the AM (CBLV) did. Deep River's AM site was just off Highway 17, not far from the hospital, and I think the CBC got regulatory approval to relocate the FM from the former CBLI (1110) site.