sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 27, 2022 11:25 am  #1

Hockey Fans Not Happy With More Gambling Ads During Broadcasts

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nhl-games-broadcasts-betting-gambling-promotion-1.6662461

It's changing hockey and not in a good way. More and more people who love the game are objecting.

Last edited by betaylored (November 27, 2022 11:40 am)

November 27, 2022 2:31 pm  #2

Re: Hockey Fans Not Happy With More Gambling Ads During Broadcasts

These advertisers, regardless of how they advertise (TV, radio, out-of-home, in-venue ads etc.), have ruined professional sports. As long as these companies are advertising like crazy, including in-show plugs/sponsored content, I will not watch any professional sports broadcast, nor will I watch TSN, Sportsnet or anywhere that these advertisements exist.

As far as I'm concerned, professional sports are dead. Forget about me as a viewer, listener or fan while these gambling/betting companies are advertising.

November 27, 2022 4:23 pm  #3

How about the virtual TV ads along arena boards on NHL games now.  Very effective for advertising but distracting.  Other major sports have had something similar for a while now, but hockey arenas have posed challenges for this type of advertising.

More details from CBC.ca..https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/nhl-digitally-enhanced-dasherboards-ads-fans-1.6617114  

November 27, 2022 9:57 pm  #4

As I've said before, what good is sports if you can't bet on it?
It was pathetic watching all those betting ads during the baseball season and even more so when they had a segment hosted by a couple of betting bozos. For many I guess the sport is no longer about the beauty of the game, but more about what type of money you can make off the game. So many of the players are making so much more money than they deserve, so why not give the fans a shot at the pot.

November 28, 2022 12:04 am  #5

Forward Power wrote:

These advertisers, regardless of how they advertise (TV, radio, out-of-home, in-venue ads etc.), have ruined professional sports. As long as these companies are advertising like crazy, including in-show plugs/sponsored content, I will not watch any professional sports broadcast, nor will I watch TSN, Sportsnet or anywhere that these advertisements exist.

As far as I'm concerned, professional sports are dead. Forget about me as a viewer, listener or fan while these gambling/betting companies are advertising.

Or you can go get a snack like everyone has done for 70 years when commercials come on.

November 28, 2022 10:57 am  #6

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - my irritation is that these are ads very obviously intended only for Ontario, but they are either airing nationally or are even airing on regional channels outside Ontario (such as Sportsnet Pacific during Canucks games, in which there are local ads such as Budget Auto Centres).

As an advertising manager the idea of someone running ads intended for one province nationally is both a waste of money and pure incompetence on the part of whoever okayed that.

November 28, 2022 11:14 am  #7

MJ Vancouver wrote:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - my irritation is that these are ads very obviously intended only for Ontario, but they are either airing nationally or are even airing on regional channels outside Ontario (such as Sportsnet Pacific during Canucks games, in which there are local ads such as Budget Auto Centres).

As an advertising manager the idea of someone running ads intended for one province nationally is both a waste of money and pure incompetence on the part of whoever okayed that.

It's not incompetence, it's because most cable subscribers get all the SN's and there's no real reason to pick one over the other when the programming's the same. It's the only way to ensure the entire intended audience sees them.

November 28, 2022 12:52 pm  #8

?: Can you not Simsub these boorish betting ads from the centre of the universe to the rest of the nation. I too find them objectionable. Maybe we should make Ontario suffer through say Danielle Smith ads/edicts.

November 28, 2022 1:00 pm  #9

ah, it goes both ways .. we do see some Calgary ads here in Ontario .. 

November 28, 2022 1:17 pm  #10

RadioAaron wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

It's not incompetence, it's because most cable subscribers get all the SN's and there's no real reason to pick one over the other when the programming's the same. It's the only way to ensure the entire intended audience sees them.

And as I mentioned recently, western Canadian supermarket ads have been appearing in Ontario during CFL games for many years, and I've also seen ads for other western Canadian companies that don't operate here. So your explanation makes sense to me.

November 28, 2022 2:30 pm  #11

If you watch the Blue Jays on Sportsnet Pacific or West you will see some different ads than the Ontario feed. Often these are for stores or lotteries only found in Western Canada.  I have even seen ads for a few western radio stations on Pacific and West. 

November 28, 2022 4:34 pm  #12

IIRC, the Federal government passed legislation opening the door to single-game betting. Ontario is the only province so far to allow it. Perhaps the outside Ontario airing of betting spots is the encourage people to pressure their provincial government to do the same.

November 29, 2022 1:55 pm  #13

https://twitter.com/ryandoyleshow/status/1595771094493167616?t=TDM7bv2WKxPpMSeG5IggLw&s=19

Looks like one half of the best The Rush co-hosting team we've had (so far) has a new career.

November 30, 2022 12:53 pm  #14

=12pxIf you watch the Blue Jays on Sportsnet Pacific or West you will see some different ads than the Ontario feed. Often these are for stores or lotteries only found in Western Canada.  I have even seen ads for a few western radio stations on Pacific and West.
okay trade ya, your Doug Ford for for our Danielle Smith.

November 30, 2022 1:28 pm  #15

radiodazewarrior wrote:

okay trade ya, your Doug Ford for for our Danielle Smith.

Hobson's choice.

December 16, 2022 12:58 am  #16

betaylored wrote:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nhl-games-broadcasts-betting-gambling-promotion-1.6662461

It's changing hockey and not in a good way. More and more people who love the game are objecting.

Which has led to this heartbreaking appeal.

'Society let him down': Warnings from grieving mother, gambling addict as sports betting ads flood Canadians' TVs

I love this quote from Sportsnet, which claims to be monitoring the "volume" of betting ads on their network.  

“We recognize that sports betting content and advertising represents a change for audiences and we are being extremely thoughtful about the volume and content of the commercial inventory that we are allotting to sports betting partners to ensure we continue to officer a quality viewing experience.”

December 16, 2022 10:42 am  #17

RadioActive wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Which has led to this heartbreaking appeal.

'Society let him down': Warnings from grieving mother, gambling addict as sports betting ads flood Canadians' TVs

I love this quote from Sportsnet, which claims to be monitoring the "volume" of betting ads on their network.  

“We recognize that sports betting content and advertising represents a change for audiences and we are being extremely thoughtful about the volume and content of the commercial inventory that we are allotting to sports betting partners to ensure we continue to officer a quality viewing experience.”

"As we continue pushing the envelope that has your dollars inside of it." is the bit they left out.

https://twitter.com/SNBets/status/1603582444560596993?t=VVAq4LfkI0px2CHl8C_oCQ&s=19

I came across this Twitter account after reading the sad but well-written article above.

Canadian media companies so strongly involved in gambling feels skeevy.

Last edited by betaylored (December 16, 2022 11:00 am)