sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 17, 2016 9:09 am  #1

CRTC's Blais raps Rogers, Shaw over Shomi

[Via G&M]

Jean-Pierre Blais is defending his four-year record as chairman of the federal telecom and broadcast regulator with a defiant speech that took on critics and industry players and emphasized Canadian consumers are central to everything he does.

In a keynote address Wednesday, Mr. Blais, who has led the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission since 2012, said that after making efforts to include and engage the public in hearings and other work the regulator does, he hopes Canadians now “trust us at least a little more than they did four years ago.”

His speech featured notably harsh words for Shaw Communications Inc. and Rogers Communications Inc. regarding their September announcement that they plan to shut down their joint venture online-streaming service Shomi at the end of November.

Mr. Blais said the move came as a shock to him and while he didn’t want to “criticize the decisions taken by seasoned business people … I can’t help but be surprised when major players throw in the towel on a platform that is the future of content – just two years after it launched.

“I have to wonder if they are too used to receiving rents from subscribers every month in a protected ecosystem, rather than rolling up their sleeves in order to build a business without regulatory intervention and protection.”

More...

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

November 17, 2016 11:21 am  #2

Re: CRTC's Blais raps Rogers, Shaw over Shomi

I agree with him.  It's a very short sighted strategy.  The strength is in the content not the delivery system.  People will only be pushed so far into using proprietary technology.  Rogers is dropping the ball on a number of fronts, IMHO.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (November 17, 2016 11:29 am)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

November 17, 2016 3:13 pm  #3

“I have to wonder if they are too used to receiving rents from subscribers every month in a protected ecosystem, rather than rolling up their sleeves in order to build a business without regulatory intervention and protection.”

Sounds like he may be hinting at deregulation so as to allow more entry into the market and more effective competition.

As far as Rogers is concerned, as a past employee of over 15 years I can tell you it's all about maintaining or boosting the share price short-term. The Big Suits making these decisions are gone after 5 years when they cash in their accumulated share options. The long-term growth and stability of the company is far from the main focus. How do you think our Mayor got a good portion of his wealth?

November 17, 2016 6:53 pm  #4

Blais is a toothless 'joke'.  Or is that a useless joke?.

November 17, 2016 8:33 pm  #5

Old Codger wrote:

Blais is a toothless 'joke'.  Or is that a useless joke?.

I think Mr. Blais is doing a GOOD job! 
Anyone that keeps the sim sub out of my home for the Super Bowl is doing a GOOD job!!
I'll have two TVs on. One with the American station and the other with CTV.
(just in case, by some total miracle, the Canadian station actually manages to have a GOOD superbowl ad.)

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 17, 2016 8:34 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 17, 2016 11:51 pm  #6

He [and the glee club] allowed the industry way,  W A Y  too much rope.  Now he is having a whale of a time reeling them in.  We'll see.  I hope you're right.  Seems to me, though, that the big corps have all the 6-shooters and they've got him dancin'...pretty much non stop.  'Til a real Sheriff arrives...they're all just gonna keep shootin' up the town every Saturday night.

November 18, 2016 12:39 am  #7

Hey big companies that employ people.... you should lose millions and millions of dollars because..... Words.

Signed:  never built, employed people, or ran a company but have an opinion - JP@CRTC

They didn't give up in Shomi because it wasn't working, they gave up, because it will NEVER work.   Too late to the party, not enough content, good competitors, but they should have asked a career Public Servant his opinion first.

Jeeeeeesh.

November 18, 2016 3:32 am  #8

RadioQuiz wrote:

They didn't give up in Shomi because it wasn't working, they gave up, because it will NEVER work. 

I think the real point is, Rogers can tell everyone that they should take a higher internet package so that they can have free Shomi for two years, then turn around and tell people shortly after signing up, (terminating a well loved, grandfathered, low cost internet package) that Shomi is no more.
The customer is stuck paying more for internet service because their grandfathered rate is no longer available.
Shomi is gone and the customer still has to pay the higher internet rates.

If I don't see Netflix or Amazon on the Rogers box (on channel 300, instead of Shomi) December first, there's gonna be HELL to pay because they can cancel Shomi whenever they see fit, but if any customer wants to end a two year contract before it is up for renewal, without penalty...TOUGH! TOO BAD!! 

The two year contract should be void, period...unless a Netflix deal (for the remainder of the contract) can be offered. 

***updated to include the new Amazon service coming soon to Canada.

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 21, 2016 2:01 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.