sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2022 5:23 pm  #1

And The Winner In The Battle For The Toronto Star Is...

The guy whose family helped bring the Raptors to Toronto. 

Jordan Bitove to take ownership of the Toronto Star
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.thestar.com/business/2022/11/24/jordan-bitove-to-take-ownership-of-the-toronto-star.html

April 30, 2023 7:38 am  #2

Re: And The Winner In The Battle For The Toronto Star Is...

Not radio related, but one of the most important media voices in the city. I've heard reports (unconfirmed though they may be) that the Toronto Star is losing up to a million dollars a month. That's obviously unsustainable if true and perhaps explains why the printed version of the paper is becoming increasingly thin.

But new sole owner Jordan Bitove insists this Star still shines bright and will continue to, despite the woes of the newspaper industry. 

"This isn't some guy just throwing money at a situation. I've got an incredible team… But the biggest thing that I just want to touch on was that whole area of — we had all these other distractions, and we are burning millions of dollars, tens of millions, and we're eliminating all that. It's now all focused on journalism."

How Jordan Bitove Plans To 'Resurrect' The Toronto Star

April 30, 2023 11:01 am  #3

The Star as a newspaper lacks personality.  All great papers have a personality.  The Toronto Sun is also losing their original image and have turned into a yappy, angry one sided paper that only seems interested in a handful of conservative issues. 

The Toronto Star to their credit still breaks the odd major story and still focuses mainly on the GTA.  They give too much space and time to special interest groups that many readers likely have no interest in.  You can push the "social crusader" aspect too much and end up boring readers.  In time the readers and  advertisers leave. 

It wasn't really that long ago that the Toronto Star was a must buy for many national advertisers.  There weren't many ways to buy around them since they had the numbers and the demos.  Like CFRB, CHUM, CFTO, the Toronto Star was a money machine with a huge staff, huge budgets and huge profits. 

Hope they and the Sun find their way back on track.  Toronto is lucky to have had four english daily papers based in the city, but some feel this is one, even two papers too many.  

Last edited by paterson1 (April 30, 2023 11:03 am)

April 30, 2023 12:13 pm  #4

And since this forum is about broadcasting, fair to mention that without the local newspapers - especially the Star, the Sun and the Globe - most of the radio talk show hosts in this city would have a lot less to say if they couldn't crib topics from them. I often wonder if there was a "Newspaper Strike," as happened in the old days, what they would be left to fill their shows with.

So in that sense, radio is hoping as many of the papers as possible survive.