sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 19, 2022 10:15 pm  #1

105.9 The Region In Markham Wants Repeater Transmitter On 91.7 FM

Just when you think the local FM band couldn't absorb any more stations comes this - CFMS-FM, aka "The Region 105.9" has applied for a rebroadcast transmitter, insisting its original signal doesn't cover its entire broadcast area. 

It's asking the CRTC to allow it to take over 91.7 so it can reach the "East Markham" area, wherever that might be. The station originally wanted a slight power boost on its 105.9 frequency, but it didn't extend its reach well enough to get into the entire market it's licenced to serve. 

"...the east end of Markham remains a problem area, in part due to the fact that the transmitter site could not be located in the optimum location because of height restrictions near Buttonville Airport. As the optimum transmitter site location is still not available no significant further improvements are possible for CFMS’s transmitting facilities at this time. Therefore, the only solution to the station’s easterly coverage issues is a rebroadcasting station."

"After an extensive search and consideration of several alternatives a 60 m self support tower at 270 Highway 7, just east of the Markham-Pickering border was selected. It provides good height and is well located to serve the required area while meeting protection requirements."

How they're going to avoid interference problems with CHIN's second FM station at 91.9 (which in itself started out solely as a rebroadcaster of 1540 AM, but somehow morphed into a completely new station) isn't entirely clear to me, but they insist it can be done. Not to mention the other stations at 91.7, including CHES-FM in Erin, Ont. and the high-powered The Giant FM (CIXL) in Welland.

The proposed power for the newcomer, if granted, is just 2,000 watts. 

November 19, 2022 10:27 pm  #2

Re: 105.9 The Region In Markham Wants Repeater Transmitter On 91.7 FM

I'm willing to bet a lot of people aren't even aware this station exists. But there's no doubt it punches above its weight in terms of talent.

Its afternoon drive host is Kevin Frankish, formerly of BT fame on City TV. 

Ann Rohmer, who also once called City TV and CP24 home, has a weekend show on the station.

And Jim Lang, who used to co-host a show on the Fan with another ex-590 stalwart Greg Brady, now doing mornings on AM 640, holds down morning drive.

And the station has yet another City TV tie-in. The station manager is Tina Cortese, who was once the news director at the Rogers owned TV outlet. 

That's a lot of famous names for a place few have ever tuned into. 

November 20, 2022 1:40 am  #3

What kind of a broadcast licence do they have? I hope they don't run into the problems CHSC ran into for
airing too much multicultural content.
Charming China from 6pm until midnight, a Boom type format (minus the 70's) during the week day, and multicultural weekends.

What a mess. The station should just go all multicultural already if that's where they believe the money is...

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 20, 2022 1:42 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 20, 2022 11:51 am  #4

The Region has been licensed as an "exception" to the ethnic radio limitations.  All stations can broadcast up to 15% of their broadcast week Monday-Sun 6 a.m. to Midnight with ethnic programming.  It is one of a handful of English language stations that are permitted large amounts of ethnic programming during the broadcast week.

The Region has two conditions of licence permitting it to run ethnic programming:
3. In each broadcast week, the licensee shall provide programming directed to a minimum of five ethnic groups in a minimum of nine languages.4. As an exception to section 7(3) of the Radio Regulations, 1986, the licensee may devote a maximum of 36.9% of its programming to third-language programming.

November 20, 2022 1:00 pm  #5

Doesn't this show that there are still FM frequencies available in the GTA for rebroadcasters or low power local stations?  CFMS-The Region is applying for a 2,000 watt repeater.  Some translators in the US are  under 300 watts.

I know that CICW in Fergus is 2,250 watts and I can listen to the station beyond Kitchener and towards Hamilton south of the 401, over 45 km from their transmitter.  This doesn't mean the frequency that CFMS is applying for will travel this far, but it does show that there is still room for rebroadcasters or lower power local stations in the GTA.   

November 21, 2022 10:27 am  #6

There is other options than taking up an additional frequency.   Directional co-channel comes to mind right away, they also could go into maxxcasting. Height is going to be their issue always due to limitations in that area, but to me it seems to take away a frequency that could be used for a new service and cause interference to current services.   I would also think marketing wise, it would be easier to market a single frequency.    I'm not an engineer, but I have to wonder why this approach other than just going to the cheapest option. 

As for the wattage question....   Distance is also about height.   Should a 2000 watt station be on a lower tower vs other one on a higher tower, the higher one will always perform better and go further.   I think if 105.9 could go on a higher tower, it would solve their issues completely. 

November 21, 2022 11:40 am  #7

They really should do a test of the 91.7 FM signal before going any further. 
91.9 has the right to no bleeding or interference of any sort.

November 21, 2022 12:58 pm  #8

91.7 from welland is a strong one I dont think this would work well.

November 21, 2022 2:22 pm  #9

Here are the stations that might be affected by 91.7, from the CFMS application:

· CHES- FM, Erin, 91.7 MHz - Erin Community Radio
· CIXL-FM, Welland, 91.7 MHz - R.B. Communications Ltd
· CBCO-FM, Orilla, 91.5 MHz - CBC/Radio Canada
· CKLY-FM, Lindsay, 91.9 MHz - Bell Media Regional Radio Partnership
· CHIN-1-FM, Toronto, 91.9 MHz - Radio 1540 Limited
· CJRT-FM, Toronto, 91.1 MHz - CJRT-FM Incorporated
· CKIS-FM, Toronto, 92.5 MHz - Rogers Media Inc.

Not sure how many will know how to read these, but here are the maps of the potential areas of interference.

November 21, 2022 3:30 pm  #10

markow202 wrote:

Not only that it may not work well but I suspect there will be a fair number of Giant FM listeners that will not be happy about any interference to their signal in parts of the GTA. I remember being in Florida a few years ago and running into a person from the GTA who said he was a regular listener of Giant FM. Mainstream classic rock is not my cup of tea but Giant FM should put in a objection to this move.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 21, 2022 4:02 pm  #11

Fitz wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Not only that it may not work well but I suspect there will be a fair number of Giant FM listeners that will not be happy about any interference to their signal in parts of the GTA. I remember being in Florida a few years ago and running into a person from the GTA who said he was a regular listener of Giant FM. Mainstream classic rock is not my cup of tea but Giant FM should put in a objection to this move.

They don't have an argument unless the interference affects listeners in their licensed area.

November 22, 2022 10:15 pm  #12

RadioAaron wrote:

Fitz wrote:

markow202 wrote:

They don't have an argument unless the interference affects listeners in their licensed area.

Thank-you Radio Aaron. That is exactly what I believe also. They are not allowed to solicit outside of the areas they are restricted to.
Besides, nobody is going to go all the way out to Welland from Toronto to shop (or other areas outside of their area of licence.)

November 22, 2022 11:10 pm  #13

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Fitz wrote:

Thank-you Radio Aaron. That is exactly what I believe also. They are not allowed to solicit outside of the areas they are restricted to.
Besides, nobody is going to go all the way out to Welland from Toronto to shop (or other areas outside of their area of licence.)

It's been a while but not necessarily ancient history when there were ads on Buffalo, Toronto and Hamilton stations for each other's market area.

As soon as I hit submit on that post I had a feeling Radio Aaron would chime in and I'm sure he is correct but what it speaks to for me more than anything else is the crowded radio dial here where a turn of the antenna can get you two different stations on the same frequency, With radio streaming on the rise I suppose even that does not matter or at least will not matter soon as streaming becomes even more dominant.

Last edited by Fitz (November 22, 2022 11:21 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/