sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2022 12:52 pm  #1

Free Web Archive Of Classic Cdn. TV Series & Movies About To Disappear

I'm not always a huge fan of Canadian content, as most here (hi paterson1!) know. (Actually, what I really object to isn't Candian content but the government's interference in programming decisions.) But that's an argument for another day. 

This post is actually about an amazing archive of old Canadian shows that's about to disappear from the Internet. I'm not sure how I never heard about Encore+ all these years, until an article from Broadcast Dialogue warned it's about to be withdrawn from YouTube.

It was sponsored by the Canadian Media Fund, which digitized and put up thousands of hours of old Canadian TV shows, including Mr. Dressup, Wayne & Shuster, Degrassi Junior High, Danger Bay and more. There are also a host of free movies and documentaries, including a three-parter about how Second City and SCTV came to be. 

This archive has been on YouTube since 2017, but sadly I'm only discovering it now. The problem? If this is your first time hearing about it, too, and there's something on there you want to see, your time is limited. The Fund has announced that for some reason, it plans to pull the section off the web and take it somewhere else, as yet undetermined. Which means if anything on the list above appeals to you, you'll have to watch before its last day, Nov. 30th. 

You can find Encore+ here - at least for now. 

CMF winding down Encore+ YouTube channels

November 22, 2022 6:24 pm  #2

Re: Free Web Archive Of Classic Cdn. TV Series & Movies About To Disappear

Sort of a shame.  All this hard work restoring and digitizing thousands of hours of old Canadian programming material and basically nobody knew about it.  Or even where to find it.

But sort of typical of Canadian media.  Domestic broadcast companies and media organizations always fall apart on the promotion aspect, and selling the product.  Most of the audience that would have found this YouTube sight interesting likely are oblivious to it and have never heard of Encore.  I know I haven't, and I am sure Encore has had next to no press other than some industry material or sites that the general public never looks at. 

Well, it will be interesting to see what the Canadian Media Fund does with all of this material.  And let's hope whoever is in charge actually finds a way to let people (and not just industry types) know that they exist.  

November 22, 2022 6:29 pm  #3

According to the site, there are some 200,000 subscribers, so someone got the message. But I agree with you, I would have visited here a lot more often had I known about it. I just hope whatever the CMF decides does not involve trying to monetize this in some way by forcing subscriptions on people.

I would definitely have explored this site had I heard about it. But I'm almost positive I wouldn't pay for it. 

So RIP Encore+. We hardly knew ye.  

November 22, 2022 6:33 pm  #4

Thanks for the heads-up RA .. on a first real quick scan, grabbed the Long John Baldry doc & The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz .. will do a more thorough scan later.

Question: why can't the existing content just be left up on Youtube?

*edit* grabbed a few more .. 
-Last Night
-White Room
-My American Cousin
-This Is Wonderland

Last edited by g121 (November 23, 2022 9:31 am)

November 22, 2022 8:23 pm  #5

It's not exactly explained in the article, just that the people behind it want to take the material somewhere else. I smell a profit motive, but we'll see.