sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 21, 2022 8:25 pm  #1

X-nay On The Xmas Music Says Radio Veteran

Maureen Holloway is not the only one to feel this way.

Maybe the overplayed Christmas songs should be taken off station playlists or at least switched to low rotation.

https://twitter.com/maureenholloway/status/1594809974198534145?t=nVUNaBbXIqad1kJ--JkOcQ&s=19

November 21, 2022 9:09 pm  #2

Re: X-nay On The Xmas Music Says Radio Veteran

betaylored wrote:

Maybe the overplayed Christmas songs should be taken off station playlists or at least switched to low rotation.

I mean, sure, if you want to tank the whole thing so they don't.....wait a minute; I see what you're doing! Clever.

November 21, 2022 10:24 pm  #3

The last souls to comprehend this are radio programmers. It's a rude awakening, but Christmas music is poison.

November 21, 2022 10:28 pm  #4

I hate it, too, but it does seem to work. Almost every station that goes All Christmas seems to see a big spike in the ratings. And I presume that makes their ad rates jingle all the way. 

November 21, 2022 10:35 pm  #5

I likeChristmas music at Christmas time, not six or eight weeks before.

In a perfect world it would start about a week before Christma and continue as part of the mix  through until New Years

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 22, 2022 10:02 am  #6

I have not tuned into CHFI yet but 
I would LOVE for Funny 820 to go all Christmas! lol

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 22, 2022 10:02 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 22, 2022 10:29 am  #7

I used to enjoy the former Mix 99.9 (Virgin Radio Toronto) leading up to Christmas.  They would always feature in a lot of the comedy Christmas cuts.  Some were politically incorrect and quite funny.  One station that handles Christmas music well is Zoomer Radio.  They are late to the game getting into seasonal music, but when they do, the variety they play is superb.  All of the regular stuff that everyone plays but also traditional MOR artists that are never heard on radio anymore.