sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2016 10:15 am  #1

Jerry Howarth Battling Prostate Cancer

It appears the tumour is small and they caught it relatively early - which is key. And hopefully Jerry will be back before the mic next season without any interruption.

I understand what he's going through. I was diagnosed with the same illness last year and had the same surgery soon after. It's not an easy road back for everyone, some of the side effects aren't fun and it takes at least five years before you're considered off the hook. But as my doctor told me, "It's the cancer you live with, not die from." So far so good in my case and though I'm a lot younger than Jerry, (who's 70) I can only use his story to urge any guys reading this to get checked, especially if you're in the 40-50 age range and have a history in your family. I nearly waited too long.

But back to the topics more suited to this board. I find it fascinating that Howarth gave this story to Bell owned CTV - and not to Rogers's City TV or SportsNet, his longtime employer. What, if anything, do you make of that?

Jerry Howarth credits MRI for early diagnosis 

Last edited by RadioActive (November 16, 2016 10:33 am)

November 16, 2016 5:15 pm  #2

Re: Jerry Howarth Battling Prostate Cancer

My doctor didn't find it as funny as I did when I complained that we should have at least had lunch together first before he 'checked things out'.  [Especially the 2nd time.]

He's a good guy.  Caught some other shyte goin' on with me.  Here I thought I had diabetes when it was COPD all along.  It wasn't a blood sugar issue after all...but rather a sizable lack of oxygen.  The severe sleep apnea didn't help either.

The point.  Self diagnosis is way too dumb a route to take.  And putting things off only makes it potentially worse so go check 'it' out.

R.A. is 100% right.  Hopefully he, Jerry, my own bad self and YOU will all be alright.

November 16, 2016 6:22 pm  #3

Re: Jerry Howarth Battling Prostate Cancer

Wow, O.C., I hope you're breathing easier - both figuratively and literally - soon. 

Besides Jerry Howarth, I can think of two very prominent on-air types who fought fairly public battles with prostate cancer - and oddly, both worked for City TV. The most famous was likely the great Mark Dailey, who invited the audience to follow him during his treatment using radioactive seeds. He died some years later from kidney cancer that spread to his lungs, and I had always thought it was related to his earlier illness, since the cancer cells can migrate to other parts of the body.

I found out I was wrong about that when when of the doctors I consulted told me one form of the disease had no effect on the other in his case. When I asked how he knew that, he stunned me by telling me he had been Mark's radiologist!

The other well known figure who suffered from the big PC was ecology reporter and co-founder of Greenpeace, Bob Hunter. As I understand it, when traditional medicine failed him, Bob turned to some less-than-proven naturopathic treatments in Mexico. But it was too late. He passed away from the disease in 2005.