sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 12, 2022 11:32 am  #1

Mike Cooper's Final CHFI Farewell?

While the latest CHFI talk is about the Christmas flip on Monday, my mind turns to what I think is an even bigger deal. 

For those that listened to Toronto Mike's episode 1004 with Mike Cooper earlier this year.... around the 1:27:00 mark, Toronto Mike asks Mike Cooper about Coop's Classics and how long he'll keep it going for. Coop responds with "I think I'm done in November, by my choice".

If that is still the plan.... and since the CHFI Christmas switch turns on Monday.... this Saturday night November 12th could likely be the last Coop's Classics ever on 98.1 CHFI (and possibly the last time we hear Coop's voice on CHFI). Whether this will be noted in the show or not is the other question. But regardless, I will be tuning in.

Coop's Classics now airs 8PM to Midnight on CHFI.

November 12, 2022 1:41 pm  #2

Re: Mike Cooper's Final CHFI Farewell?

Thanks for passing this along Radio.Intern.  If this is it tonight for Mike Cooper on air, congratulations to him on a great career!  He worked at some of the best stations with CHFI, CHUM, CKGM, CFTR, EZ Rock and maybe a few others I forgot.  As a teen Mike enrolled in the broadcast course at Mohawk and his first station after finishing at Mohawk was CKAT FM in North Bay.   I always have enjoyed Coop's Classics whenever I have listened, and tonight absolutely will be tuning in. 

November 12, 2022 2:01 pm  #3

Publicly posted a week or so ago, his last show is in the can.

November 12, 2022 3:50 pm  #4

pinto wrote:

Publicly posted a week or so ago, his last show is in the can.

"In the can" and airing tonight? 

November 14, 2022 12:07 am  #5

Well that was the final Coop's Classics on CHFI last night.  No drama or long goodbyes.  He mentioned a few times during the show that this was the final. after almost 17 years on Saturday nights.  Last song was Trooper, Here For a Good Time Not a Long Time.  Guess we will see in the new year what the station will do during the Saturday evening slot.

Always remember when Mike had the big goodbye when he left mornings on CHFI in January 2016.  City TV did a report on his last show and included the famous 1050 CHUM April Fool assassination of Mike on air.  They even had a CHUM jingle in the report.     

November 14, 2022 2:23 pm  #6

So whos taking over the classics show?  He did a good job with it - still remember the old oldies show with Don Daynard as a young one and its almost a CHFI staple to have a classics show on saturday nights, although Coopers classics was basically the same thing as listening to Boom. 

November 14, 2022 4:53 pm  #7

I'm going to guess they nuke it....probably only kept it going recently as a convenient way to keep Cooper on the station in some form.

November 14, 2022 8:14 pm  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

I'm going to guess they nuke it....probably only kept it going recently as a convenient way to keep Cooper on the station in some form.

I second Radio Aaron's thoughts. Especially after the phase out of a similar program last year: Sunday Morning Rewind. Once Tish Iceton was let go, Darryl Henry kept it going until the Christmas switch. Then in the new year it never came back, replaced by more of "Toronto's Perfect Music Mix". A real shame because that was a fantastic show, especially with Tish.

November 14, 2022 8:56 pm  #9

Once they started playing the likes of the Backstreet Boys on the show is around the time they lost me.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

November 14, 2022 10:08 pm  #10

The only good retro show left on the air is Roger Ashby's. Only problem is that I don't get to the radio dial at home very much except maybe on DX days and to test my AM stereo transmitter. Shame that's it's not on when I am in the car much.

About two months ago I heard Ashes to Ashes by the Mindbenders on CKDO and thought  wow they're playing ??    I should have known but it turned out that it was on Roger Ashby.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 14, 2022 10:08 pm  #11

The Backsteet Boys had their first hit 26 years ago. A 26 year-old song on an oldies show then would have been from 1970

Last edited by RadioAaron (November 14, 2022 10:31 pm)

November 14, 2022 11:09 pm  #12

RadioAaron wrote:

The Backsteet Boys had their first hit 26 years ago. A 26 year-old song on an oldies show then would have been from 1970

Oh, I get that. The Backstreet Boys certainly deserve their place on a retro show, and eventually the "newer oldies" will replace the "older oldies".

My point is that the show has a heritage as an "oldies" program (as in "older oldies"), dating back to the Don Daynard days, and I also think Mike Cooper's audience tends to skew on the older side. As the show progressed, the "malt shop oldies" got replaced with late 60s psychedelia and early-to-mid 70s pop, so it's all a natural progression.

Mostly, I was just stating my own personal preference, as CHFI is not my first choice on the dial, although I think they do a pretty good job of mixing current music along with stuff from decades past. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!