sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 12, 2022 1:14 am  #1

CTV Toronto strikes again

Job cuts at CTV Toronto showed their ugly head again Friday night. Zaraida Alman obviously knows as much about sports as the person writing her copy. According to them, a Pittsburgh player scored a point in the 3rd quarter of the Penguins' win over the Leafs. Yikes!

November 12, 2022 10:29 am  #2

Re: CTV Toronto strikes again

Some of the on air people at CTV Toronto are putting no effort into reading sports or when they need to go through the weather.  Job cuts responsible?  Yes, however some of the on air staff lack professionalism and are carrying their grievances and drama on air which is tacky.  Reading sports or the weather is not that hard. 

November 12, 2022 4:09 pm  #3

Showing sports scores over music is probably a better alternative than having CFTO's anchors painfully read through a poorly written VO matched to game viz. 

I honestly wish CTV never got rid of the local sports segments. CFTO's 11:30 newscasts used to be a really well produced newscast, it had the right mix of local news, weather, and sports. Here in Calgary, the 11:30 PM local news is rehashing stories that aired on CTV National News only a few minutes prior. 

Last edited by ED1 (November 12, 2022 4:10 pm)

November 12, 2022 5:20 pm  #4

ED1 wrote:

Here in Calgary, the 11:30 PM local news is rehashing stories that aired on CTV National News only a few minutes prior. 

I too have noticed CTV Toronto "local" news now seems to have a large amount national news.

They say that people are moving to Facebook, Google, Twitter, and other on-line outlets to obtain their news.  When the broadcast product is so diminished, it is a self fulfilling prophecy.

November 12, 2022 9:10 pm  #5

Welcome to life in rural Alberta, Lethbridge specifically. The weekday desker continually boots well-known names on numerous occasions and seems ignorant to that fact. Obviously the producer doesn't monitor the recording nor care to correct this faux paux
While the whole piece is recorded an hour before airing in Calgary before hitting in the air, you would think a check on a pronunciation could be sourced from a colleague or the producer could ask for an edit or re- record.
I hope our future broadcasters aren't watching these stations since they don't exemplify what broadcasting is truly all about. But again, that's just my 2cents.

November 13, 2022 11:08 pm  #6

ED1 wrote:

Showing sports scores over music is probably a better alternative than having CFTO's anchors painfully read through a poorly written VO matched to game viz. 

I honestly wish CTV never got rid of the local sports segments. CFTO's 11:30 newscasts used to be a really well produced newscast, it had the right mix of local news, weather, and sports. Here in Calgary, the 11:30 PM local news is rehashing stories that aired on CTV National News only a few minutes prior. 

Me too. When CFPL-TV had Norman James, Brent Lale and Marek Sutherland as sports anchors they would do an excellent job at reporting the games scores, recaps and highlights. I think I recall Norman James quit in 2017 when they axed the local sports segments. Brent Lale and Marek Sutherland are still at CTV London as reporters.