sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2022 12:52 pm  #1

CBC's Vassy Kapelos moves to CTV News to host 'Power Play' and

November 8, 2022 1:25 pm  #2

Re: CBC's Vassy Kapelos moves to CTV News to host 'Power Play' and

So CBC fires Evan Solomon and CTV picks him up.  CBC hires Vassy Kapelos as his replacement and when Evan leaves CBC, CTV looks no further than CBC to find his replacement.  CBC now has an opening, I wonder are there any big names out there to fill the void.  Hello Lisa are you available?

November 8, 2022 1:36 pm  #3

LOSat wrote:

So CBC fires Evan Solomon and CTV picks him up.  CBC hires Vassy Kapelos as his replacement and when Evan leaves CBC, CTV looks no further than CBC to find his replacement.  CBC now has an opening, I wonder are there any big names out there to fill the void.  Hello Lisa are you available?

They can't possibly hire Lisa, because under the scenario you've so ably drawn, it means whoever they hire will eventually leave CBC and end up back at CTV! It's just the nature of things. (Whoops! Wrong network...)

November 8, 2022 2:08 pm  #4

What do they say about Karma.  May CTV needs to be "Karma-slapped".

November 8, 2022 2:35 pm  #5

I'm actually happy to hear this. I miss Solomon on QP every week (when it's not interrupted by the 400th zillion NFL game of the week) and am not a fan of a very one-sided Joyce Napier. So hopefully Kapelos will be more even-handed and go after both sides equally. 

November 8, 2022 2:54 pm  #6

Ka-ching.
BellMedia poach's a lot of expensive talent. Judy Trihn after 20 years at CBC,  Mike Le Couteur after ~10 at Global. And of course everyone's fave, Reshmi.

November 8, 2022 3:32 pm  #7

A part of the CTV story that's also relevant is this sentence:

"CTV says the seasoned broadcaster will also host a new radio program called "The Vassy Kapelos Show," airing weekday afternoons on iHeartRadio Canada Talk Network stations."

So I'm guessing she's permanently taking over the noon-2 PM shift that Solomon occupied Monday-Thursday, with Fridays off. Glad to see the endlessly rotating talking heads phase is over. 

November 8, 2022 5:56 pm  #8

I'm gonna call it. Rosemary Barton will return to host Power and Politics. She left that job for the multi-anchor national newscast experiment. That failed, so she's the Senior Political Anchor or something like that.

November 8, 2022 6:39 pm  #9

This is a good move for CTV in my opinion.  Vassy is good with politicians and not afraid to ask a question a second or even third time if they don't answer. She also doesn't usually let them ramble into their talking points  which is refreshing.  Looking forward to the radio show.

On another topic, I think CBC made the right choice with Adrienne Arsenault anchoring The National.  Big improvement over the three anchors.  Arsenault comes across as natural and conversational delivering the news or interviews.  I find Rosemary Barton too glib and then overly serious depending on the topic or who she is talking to. 

November 8, 2022 11:27 pm  #10

Good career move for her.

And I believe she is a new mom

Any number of factors weighed before making the jump

Wishing her the best of luck 

November 9, 2022 10:40 am  #11

Somewhere , upon hearing this news, Kelly C uttered the f word.