sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 3, 2022 9:41 am  #1

Barrie FM's "Big" Morning Show Coming From Ottawa

If you listen to Tim Morgan and Colleen Rusholme in the morning on Corus' Big 101.1 in Barrie, you're not hearing local radio. Instead, the Corus station is simulcasting its morning crew from CJOT-FM in Ottawa. This isn't that unusual, especially for a music station. But it is disappointing.

I think a morning show - arguably the most important on any radio station's schedule - should be local. A crew in Ottawa can't tell you about the big snowstorm that's striking the city, what happened at City Hall or the latest local controversy that people are talking about at their neighbourhood Timmy's. 

It's an unfortunate growing cost-cutting trend and if they wanted to save money by duplicating another city's show, maybe they could do it later on in the daypart. It could be argued listeners are getting higher-priced talent that might not be fiscally possible in a place the size of Barrie.

But to me, a morning show represents a station and its town. And you can't really get a feel for a place if you don't spend time there. If a show comes from a long way away, it's just not serving the audience, who deserve better, even in a smaller market. 

The Big Breakfast

November 3, 2022 10:28 am  #2

Re: Barrie FM's "Big" Morning Show Coming From Ottawa

101 fm is near the bottom of the ratings in the Barrie market I would guess. Which would mean revenue is also near the bottom compared to a Rock 95 or 93.1 . It's likely a cost cutting survival move. 

November 3, 2022 10:58 am  #3

What is old is new again.    Corus did this with the 4 station Energy Network... but times have changed a little, where they can syndicate segments and do local inserts.   I have not listened to how they are doing it, but if they are doing syndication segments with local inserts it can work.   Happens every day in the US market.   It's cheaper and typically gives you higher grade talent than you could in a smaller market.    Will it work for Barrie?   If they manage to keep the ratings about where it was with a local show... and keep the clients happy.. that's all that matters.   Drops costs, keeps the station making money.  

Last edited by radiokid (November 3, 2022 10:59 am)

November 3, 2022 11:10 am  #4

As much as I might not like the absence of a local morning show, at least they didn't choose to go with an American one. If Bob & Tom were still around doing mornings, there's no doubt they'd be a good cheap way to do it!!
It also makes it easier to work on a format change. The bodies are already gone. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 3, 2022 12:45 pm  #5

Was this the Colleen from CING-FM in Hamilton before she was let go in 2019?

November 3, 2022 2:10 pm  #6

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

Was this the Colleen from CING-FM in Hamilton before she was let go in 2019?

I believe so. Her bio on the Big site lists a number of local stations she's been at:

"I’m Coming to BIG 101 from Energy 95.3 in Hamilton, with 23+ years in the biz, having been a part of the morning crew on Q107, EZ Rock and boom in Toronto to name a few."

November 3, 2022 2:22 pm  #7

mic'em wrote:

101 fm is near the bottom of the ratings in the Barrie market

All for good reason. The station sucks. Hopefully they're just temporarily using Tim & Colleen as a temporary morning fix while they figure out what format to switch the station over to next. Maybe with a new format they can hire a more local radio talent to do mornings. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 3, 2022 2:22 pm)

November 3, 2022 7:32 pm  #8

There's also a very strict hiring freeze at Corus right now.

November 3, 2022 7:54 pm  #9

The Bob & Tom show is still around, even though Bob has been retired for a few years. It's still going with the rest of the cast. Most of the affiliate base is in the Midwest, but it's carried on delay on WAIO 95.1 here in Rochester.

November 3, 2022 8:54 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

If you listen to Tim Morgan and Colleen Rusholme in the morning on Corus' Big 101.1 in Barrie, you're not hearing local radio. Instead, the Corus station is simulcasting its morning crew from CJOT-FM in Ottawa. This isn't that unusual, especially for a music station. But it is disappointing.

I think a morning show - arguably the most important on any radio station's schedule - should be local. A crew in Ottawa can't tell you about the big snowstorm that's striking the city, what happened at City Hall or the latest local controversy that people are talking about at their neighbourhood Timmy's. 

It's an unfortunate growing cost-cutting trend and if they wanted to save money by duplicating another city's show, maybe they could do it later on in the daypart. It could be argued listeners are getting higher-priced talent that might not be fiscally possible in a place the size of Barrie.

But to me, a morning show represents a station and its town. And you can't really get a feel for a place if you don't spend time there. If a show comes from a long way away, it's just not serving the audience, who deserve better, even in a smaller market. 

The Big Breakfast

It's the new normal. Morning shows are done from different markets all the time. Sometimes one announcer might be hosting five morning shows at once. The vast majority of listeners don't know the difference, and the corporations save money.Just wait 'til AI gets better, you won't need people at all.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 4, 2022 7:22 am  #11

Dale Patterson wrote:

The vast majority of listeners don't know the difference, and the corporations save money.     

Long-time lurkers and contributors may recall similar statements posted to SOWNY when this forum was under the Craig Smith administration (decades ago).     The subject then was the wonders of voice-tracking.     Listeners wouldn't know the difference.     

Maybe so, but listeners have disappeared.     They didn't say "goodbye", but they're gone

November 4, 2022 8:15 am  #12

Ms. C. wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

The vast majority of listeners don't know the difference, and the corporations save money.     

Long-time lurkers and contributors may recall similar statements posted to SOWNY when this forum was under the Craig Smith administration (decades ago).     The subject then was the wonders of voice-tracking.     Listeners wouldn't know the difference.     

Maybe so, but listeners have disappeared.     They didn't say "goodbye", but they're gone

They've gone to Spotlify, satellite radio and numerous other alternatives and will continue to do.

November 4, 2022 10:37 am  #13

Dale Patterson wrote:

Ms. C. wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

listeners have disappeared.     They didn't say "goodbye", but they're gone   

They've gone to Spotlify, satellite radio and numerous other alternatives and will continue to do.

Why did they leave conventional, personality-driven radio (of which music radio was rapidly being overtaken by voice-tracking technology?

November 4, 2022 10:51 am  #14

Customized playlists and lack of commercials.

November 4, 2022 11:19 am  #15

RadioAaron wrote:

Spotify's stock price is in a downward spiral.   Does that not indicate a potential return to the magic of voice-tracked tunes + commercials?

Last edited by Ms. C. (November 4, 2022 11:19 am)

November 4, 2022 12:50 pm  #16

RadioAaron wrote:

Sure. That must be why I left. 

November 4, 2022 1:57 pm  #17

Ms. C. wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Ms. C. wrote:

listeners have disappeared.     They didn't say "goodbye", but they're gone   

Why did they leave conventional, personality-driven radio (of which music radio was rapidly being overtaken by voice-tracking technology?

They didn't leave it. It left them

November 4, 2022 2:45 pm  #18

In summary, Bay Street got wind that Radiowiz cancelled Spotify, and it was by then too late for conventional radio to recover its former glory which in turn lead to Putin invading Ukraine and the death of Jerry Lee Lewis.     The rest is history  

November 4, 2022 3:35 pm  #19

Sadly, the old B101 used to do quite well

November 4, 2022 3:44 pm  #20

pinto wrote:

Sadly, the old B101 used to do quite well

I agree 100%.  It's too bad Corus doesn't agree.

November 4, 2022 5:52 pm  #21

Ms. C. wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Spotify's stock price is in a downward spiral.   Does that not indicate a potential return to the magic of voice-tracked tunes + commercials?

Spotify is a music service. They have no announcers.

November 4, 2022 7:18 pm  #22

Dale Patterson wrote:

Point I tried (and failed miserably) to make was that as Spotify is evidently falling out of favor, perhaps conventional, music-based broadcast radio still has a future 

November 4, 2022 8:17 pm  #23

https://931freshradio.ca/shows/

Looking at Fresh 93.1 show schedule they have some non local crew like Will Nash from Energy 95.3 in Hamilton, The Scott and Kat Show, The Weekly Top 20 with Dave Blezard, and Joey Castillo from 91.5 The Beat in Kitchener. 

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (November 4, 2022 8:17 pm)

November 4, 2022 9:30 pm  #24

Ms. C. wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Point I tried (and failed miserably) to make was that as Spotify is evidently falling out of favor, perhaps conventional, music-based broadcast radio still has a future 

If you think the big broadcast conglomerates are suddenly going to open their vaults and go on a hiring spree then I have a bridge you might be interested in.

November 4, 2022 10:37 pm  #25

Corus is no stranger to syndication of a morning show. Vancouvers Willy in the Morning based out of rock 101 in Vancouver also airs on Calgary’s Q107 and Edmontons Chuck 92.5. Whenever I have listened it all sounds local based on whichever of the three stations I tune in to. They are the proof it can work and compete in the ratings

November 5, 2022 12:43 am  #26

brian451 wrote:

Corus is no stranger to syndication of a morning show. Vancouvers Willy in the Morning based out of rock 101 in Vancouver also airs on Calgary’s Q107 and Edmontons Chuck 92.5. Whenever I have listened it all sounds local based on whichever of the three stations I tune in to. They are the proof it can work and compete in the ratings

Just Like Hamilton's Y108 107.9 airs the Taz and Jim morning show from CFPL-FM 95.9 in London.

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (November 5, 2022 12:44 am)

November 5, 2022 11:14 am  #27

Dale Patterson wrote:

If you think the big broadcast conglomerates are suddenly going to open their vaults and go on a hiring spree then I have a bridge you might be interested in. 

When shares in a public company collapse as suddenly and deeply as have Spotify shares, some investors may prudently decide that something is wrong there.   If the client count is unchanged, then the decline might be interpreted that the monthly fee to individual users is too low.   But, if the fee is raised, will that cause some former participants to cancel and return to old-fashioned broadcast radio?     

Alternately they might decide to re-invest sale proceeds in your bridge endeavor.

Good luck with that (seriously)  

November 5, 2022 5:33 pm  #28

Ms. C. wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

When shares in a public company collapse as suddenly and deeply as have Spotify shares, some investors may prudently decide that something is wrong there.   If the client count is unchanged, then the decline might be interpreted that the monthly fee to individual users is too low.   But, if the fee is raised, will that cause some former participants to cancel and return to old-fashioned broadcast radio?     

Alternately they might decide to re-invest sale proceeds in your bridge endeavor.

Good luck with that (seriously)  

How do you explain the 15-per-cent year-over-year increase in subscribers? More subscribers is good, right?

November 5, 2022 5:46 pm  #29

Dale Patterson wrote:

More subscribers is good, right?   

Yes, it is.   Have diarized this thread for every 3 months, for detailed ongoing analysis