sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 31, 2022 9:17 pm  #1

Bell's National Overnight Radio "Showgram" Appears To Be History

Last week, David Cooper, the guy who took over for Jim Richards on the all-night show on Bell talk stations across the country, said farewell to listeners, telling them it was his last program. 

What's taking his place? Well, unless they're on the hunt for some new talent to be unveiled later, it appears the answer is Bell's favourite standby - a long evening of rerolls. According to the CFRB iHeart website, The Best of John Moore comes on at midnight, followed by an hour of Bill Carroll from that morning's CFRA outlet, and then CJAD's Elias Makos show. Sound familiar? That used to be line-up before they brought back live programming at 7 PM.

A two-hour highlight package replaying the earlier NewsTalk Tonight leads into the morning show, when live programming begins again. In an irony you can't miss, it means that for part of the wee hours, Jim Richards is being heard overnights again, just like he was before he disappeared a few months ago. 

November 1, 2022 1:23 am  #2

Re: Bell's National Overnight Radio "Showgram" Appears To Be History

I'm guessing most people don't listen to the same station 24 hours a day non-stop.  I don't mind hearing something I missed at all.

November 1, 2022 9:32 am  #3

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I'm guessing most people don't listen to the same station 24 hours a day non-stop.  I don't mind hearing something I missed at all.

Depends on the topic.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 1, 2022 9:52 am  #4

Tomas Barlow wrote:

It works only if they pick the right segments to run. But if you hear someone talking in the morning about an issue that's either evolved since or has been resolved later in the day, it's hopelessly dated and doesn't sound good for a station that deals with current events - with an accent on "current."

The other problem with it is they sometimes choose to broadcast a highly local segment that's of no real concern to people in another city. If Bill Carroll does a 15 minute interview on Ottawa Transpo not running on time, that's not of a lot of interest to anyone in Toronto - or B.C. for that matter. 

I've heard replays of the Elias Makos segment from CJAD about an extremely arcane and local Montreal issue and for most of the country, it's meaningless. 

I'm sure the rest of Canada that gets these rerolls don't care all that much about a local Toronto story done by John Moore, either.

So if they pick the right segments to rerun, it works. If not, to me, it's often a tune-out. 

But then again, they probably don't really care about the overnight period anyway. If I recall correctly, it's not even a rated daypart. Or in this case, nightpart!