sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 27, 2022 11:42 am  #1

TV Commercial Runs In French On Global

Sunday evening flipping around the dial I noticed a commercial for Mayfair came up on Global TV advertising up to 80% off on merchandise.  Snazzy ad with lots of graphics and prices and an excited announcer reading the great deals.  

Only issue was the commercial copy and graphics were in French.   No doubt there is an English version of the ad  but on Sunday evening not on Global. 

Occasionally on various websites an ad in French gets placed by accident on an English site.  Years ago in the Toronto Sun they accidently ran a full page ad for Best Buy (or was it Future Shop) in French.

October 27, 2022 12:07 pm  #2

Re: TV Commercial Runs In French On Global

paterson1 wrote:

Sunday evening flipping around the dial I noticed a commercial for Mayfair came up on Global TV advertising up to 80% off on merchandise.  Snazzy ad with lots of graphics and prices and an excited announcer reading the great deals.  

Only issue was the commercial copy and graphics were in French.   No doubt there is an English version of the ad  but on Sunday evening not on Global. 

Occasionally on various websites an ad in French gets placed by accident on an English site.  Years ago in the Toronto Sun they accidently ran a full page ad for Best Buy (or was it Future Shop) in French.

I have seen this same French commercial on Global BC twice in the past week or so. This was airing during local news.

October 27, 2022 12:47 pm  #3

oh, Mon Dieu!!!

October 27, 2022 1:04 pm  #4

Methinks that Master Control is still out of control.

October 27, 2022 1:19 pm  #5

There was an issue last month where the Global Lethbridge 6 PM newscast accidentally went out on CICT Calgary, displacing the Calgary 6 PM News Hour for the first 12 minutes. Teething problems with this new master control.

October 27, 2022 3:40 pm  #6

... the Disaster better known as Master...

October 27, 2022 4:14 pm  #7

Happens on CBC Gem watching News Network too

October 28, 2022 1:17 am  #8

I’m in California right now, and for the first time I saw the English version of the Wayfair commercial.

I was half-expecting NBC here to air a Spanish version of the commercial.

November 3, 2022 10:22 am  #9

Global is still having problems. On this morning’s news on Global BC, there have been no commercials whatsoever. There are ad breaks, but they just go to black for two minutes. This has been going on for at least the past hour.

And last night during the News Hour, there was one commercial that was obviously intended for Ontario viewers.

November 3, 2022 10:41 am  #10

Calgary and Edmonton also can't run commercial breaks this morning. Calgary just sits on one of their skycam shots with music, while Edmonton is running a couple of internal promos through their control room and eating up the extra time. 

https://twitter.com/DallasFlexhaug/status/1588150040622923776

That's gonna be a lot of make goods for those three stations.

Last edited by ED1 (November 3, 2022 10:43 am)

November 3, 2022 10:53 am  #11

The same thing happened on Global's The Morning Show at 9am this morning. Just a white screen with the Global logo during the commercial breaks for the hour.  Probably lost a lot of money for the show by running "ad-free".

December 5, 2022 2:25 pm  #12

More technical troubles for the network, this time on Global Toronto.

During their noon news, they went to black for a good 30 seconds out of the Anthony Farnell weather promo. They finally ran another commercial and came back to Farnell with the weather. But he never got to finish. He was cut off mid-map and mid-word, as the station went to black again. I'm assuming the show ran over time and the computer cut him off to go to the next show. 

But even that didn't work. It was followed by a viewer notice that the following program was available with descriptive video - and at least another 30 secs. of black. Suddenly ET Canada came up halfway through the intro to the show.

First time I've personally seen this in Toronto, but given the evidence below, I'm sure it's happened before. Not sure what's going on over there, but it's still an issue.

December 5, 2022 2:31 pm  #13

I've seen that commercial on some channel. Must have been Global.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

December 5, 2022 3:00 pm  #14

Cost cutting and reducing staff coming back to bite them in the derriere?

December 5, 2022 3:06 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

More technical troubles for the network, this time on Global Toronto.

During their noon news, they went to black for a good 30 seconds out of the Anthony Farnell weather promo. They finally ran another commercial and came back to Farnell with the weather. But he never got to finish. He was cut off mid-map and mid-word, as the station went to black again. I'm assuming the show ran over time and the computer cut him off to go to the next show. 

But even that didn't work. It was followed by a viewer notice that the following program was available with descriptive video - and at least another 30 secs. of black. Suddenly ET Canada came up halfway through the intro to the show.

First time I've personally seen this in Toronto, but given the evidence below, I'm sure it's happened before. Not sure what's going on over there, but it's still an issue.

Was the weather done live? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 5, 2022 3:29 pm  #16

Radiowiz wrote:

Was the weather done live? 

Yes, Farnell is live from the rooftop patio of his home for the noon. It appears that somehow they just mistimed the show (or the blackouts made it too long) and they just cut him off mid-sentence, went to black for a few seconds, came back on with the disclaimer for the next show, and then went back to black for at least another 30. A real mess. I don't think the PA was to blame for the mis-timing, but it's hard to tell.