sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 27, 2022 9:09 am  #1

Bell Claims Jamil Jivani Fired Because Of His Bad Attitude & Ratings

The owner of CFRB claims its once rising star, Jamil Javani, was spreading falsehoods about COVID vaccines, was against diversity rules and took a combative attitude with management. Not to mention his ratings weren't there.

Jivani claims they didn't want a black conservative on the air and they were trying to silence his opinions. 

This one's getting ugly. 

“Prior to his termination, Bell Media had numerous concerns regarding the Plaintiff’s on-air performance and his resistant and combative attitude toward his managers and workplace policies,” the company says in its statement of defence.

He “invited guests onto his show who expressed extreme, false views on the COVID-19 Global Pandemic and failed to challenge their viewpoints or offer a balancing counterpoint,” the company claims."

Bell's defence for firing only Black radio host says he showed disdain for diversity initiatives

October 27, 2022 9:43 am  #2

Re: Bell Claims Jamil Jivani Fired Because Of His Bad Attitude & Ratings

re: This one's getting ugly .. 

It's already ugly .. & all Jamil Javani is accomplishing is sewer'ing his own future career & pushing public sympathy towards Bell.  Like it or not, the company has the right to decide what public presence they choose to offer.  It turned out not to be a fit; Jamil needs to move on.

October 27, 2022 10:09 am  #3

I have heard whispers from some one time Bell employees that he was allegedly extremely difficult to get along with when he was there. I have no idea if those stories are true, and I have to give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise, but Bell's statement of defence seems to indicate that wasn't just a random story from some unhappy co-workers. 

October 27, 2022 12:23 pm  #4

Jivani released his formal reply to Bell’s response.  Interesting that he may have been considered as a possible replacement for John Moore when he retired.

Direct Link

or  SubStack

Statement

Last edited by Ixltoo (October 27, 2022 1:24 pm)

October 27, 2022 2:27 pm  #5

Ixltoo wrote:

Jivani released his formal reply to Bell’s response.  Interesting that he may have been considered as a possible replacement for John Moore when he retired.
Direct Link
or  SubStack
Statement

re:  Interesting that he may have been considered as a possible replacement for John Moore when he retired.

hmmm .. while John Moore does lament at times about the insanely early start time of his show, he loves doing it.  has anyone heard any inkling of John retiring potential in the near/mid term or is this just inventive, wishful Jamil thinking?

October 27, 2022 3:13 pm  #6

To suggest you would be a replacement for John Moore with no experience or track record of success shows me that he doesn't listen.

I'm sure MB said... you could fill in when John is away.  I'm not sure he said... you should be working towards that as a goal.  I highly doubt if Moore had been killed by a streetcar, Jamil would be in that spot.  Craziest thing I've ever heard.

I can find no evidence of Jamil being third in the ratings anywhere.
Maybe third of the AM stations?

Also - his ratings were horrible.  They dropped in Toronto and Montreal.   Both previous hosts that were bell-liminated were on during the same Pandemic.

Finally, he wasn't promoted for his success.   BELL blew everyone out with talent and he was left to work on the cheap.

October 27, 2022 3:28 pm  #7

RadioQuiz wrote:

I'm sure MB said... you could fill in when John is away. I'm not sure he said... you should be working towards that as a goal. I highly doubt if Moore had been killed by a streetcar, Jamil would be in that spot. Craziest thing I've ever heard.

Agreed. I'm assuming the context was a generic "pep-talk", i.e. "Hang in there... everyone struggles in the start in radio to find an audience and get used to the culture. You know, one day you could be in that plum morning man position! I started as a producer on the morning show myself...", etc., etc.

This is the relevant section from the statement, for reference:

"At the lunch meeting, Bendixen encouraged the Plaintiff to persevere in light of the Defendant’s toxic workplace culture as there was a potential opportunity for the Plaintiff to succeed John Moore (hereinafter referred to as “Moore”), host of the Defendant’s Toronto morning show, upon Moore’s retirement. "

October 27, 2022 11:31 pm  #8

As someone who let many people go during various layoffs, I know that HR was very strict about what gets said during the termination meeting with the employee.  

"Just stick to the script" they'd say. "Due to changing business conditions, effective immediately you are no longer an employee of xxx company."

They would allow me to give a brief thanks to the employee (if I wanted to), then say that the HR rep will go over the termination package.  Short...and not sweet.

If Jivani's account is accurate, for Bell to tell him that his termination was due to "changing business conditions", then in their response document essentially say that it was performance related probably had Jivani's lawyers grinning from ear to ear.