sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 24, 2022 7:15 am  #1

Is CFRB's Current Contest One Of The Dullest In T.O. Radio History?

I know there are some here who hate radio contests, but if you're going to do them, they should at least provide a modicum of excitement. NT1010 has been running a promotion called "A Grand In The Hand," which gives away $1,000 every weekday. The premise - they give out a secret phrase at 7:10 and 8:10 AM and again at 4:10 and 5:10 PM, presumably to increase hours tuned during drivetime. 

But if there's ever been a contest that's duller and generates less interest than this one, I can't recall it. The prize itself is given away at the ungodly hour of 6:10 AM, so you don't even get a winner the same day. And in the case of the Friday contest, the victor isn't revealed until the following Monday. There is absolutely no skill involved and only four people can qualify a day! And their names never even get mentioned on air.

I haven't heard any promotional announcements tubthumping the thing, which is also odd for something designed to generate excitement and encourage hours tuned.

Plus, half the time morning man John Moore forgets to give out the phrase and has to be reminded by his producer. So even he doesn't appear to be excited by it!

I'm aware this thing is part of a syndicated contest that's been done on other stations across North America, and I certainly hope they've handled it a lot better than the guys at 1010. Because as it stands now, it's anything but "grand."

October 24, 2022 10:45 am  #2

Re: Is CFRB's Current Contest One Of The Dullest In T.O. Radio History?

I feel it's a pretty lame contest.  First, you have to be the 10th caller to be a qualifier at each of the timeslots.  The winner is then chosen from the 4 qualifiers and is contacted at 6:10am the next morning.

October 24, 2022 10:55 am  #3

With only four qualifiers a day, I would think most people would say "what are my chances of winning?" It's not like the big prize is potentially open to thousands and thousands of people. They narrow it down to just four contestants per day. You know if you're not one of them.

How is that a contest that people will feel they have no chance to win? I'm thinking most will say 'why bother?' They wouldn't be wrong.

October 24, 2022 11:54 am  #4

I doubt that Newstalk 1010 listeners actually care about contests.  If 1010 were a top 40 station then yes this would be a boring contest.  Since they are news/talk station, contests likely aren't top of mind for 98% of their audience.  

October 24, 2022 12:34 pm  #5

Then the question that follows is: why bother?

October 24, 2022 3:13 pm  #6

Why bother?  Stations regardless of format are usually giving something away or have a small or large contest going.  This helps the station sound busy, interact or have some fun with the audience, and in some cases helps the sales department or a sales rep etc. The actual number of people they interact with isn't that important since most people listening will never take part.  

CFRB back in the day had contests and were always giving away tickets to a show or event. But for a station like CFRB or Newstalk 1010 a contest or give away isn't going to make any difference in ratings.  Contests and giveaways can be beneficial with a client relationship, gives the on air talent something to talk about and promote. Finally, some listeners are going to win something so this is a benefit too.

Contests were always a bigger deal for stations with a younger demo, and with major concert ticket giveaways, chance to meet the artist in person etc.