sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 14, 2022 9:06 am  #1

Next Friday: John Moore and Jerry Agar Switch Shows

Jerry Agar will be helming Moore In The Morning next Friday on Newstalk 1010 and John Moore fills in for Jerry.

The two had a quick chat about the switcheroo on MITM this morning, it's so Jerry can go to a medical appointment.

John taking lots of calls from listeners the way Jerry does is bound to be a hoot.

Appointment radio from 5:00 to noon.

Govern yourselves accordingly for a different kind of sweet sweet Friday.

October 14, 2022 9:37 am  #2

Re: Next Friday: John Moore and Jerry Agar Switch Shows

I'm looking forward to this. Moore talking to the public for three hours without the burden of the usual busy morning pace should be a fascinating listen. I have no doubt he'll do it very well. But it's always interesting to hear someone out of their comfort zone. I'll be tuning in for sure. (If only Robert Turner could produce it, it would be perfect!)

October 14, 2022 11:22 am  #3

Hope the call screener gets danger pay.

October 15, 2022 8:30 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I'm looking forward to this. Moore talking to the public for three hours without the burden of the usual busy morning pace should be a fascinating listen. I have no doubt he'll do it very well. But it's always interesting to hear someone out of their comfort zone. I'll be tuning in for sure. (If only Robert Turner could produce it, it would be perfect!)

Not his first rodeo. He did the drive home show in the afternoon previously and took a lot of calls then.

October 16, 2022 1:54 pm  #5

This should never happen on a big station like Newstalk 1010. Let me correct myself; former big station.

October 16, 2022 1:58 pm  #6

Rune wrote:

This should never happen on a big station like Newstalk 1010. Let me correct myself; former big station.

Why?

October 16, 2022 2:48 pm  #7

Because they don't have a full staff. If Agar has to take a day off, they should have someone who can fill in. If you want to be viewed as a major station, and CFRB has always been that, then you have to be a major station. That means staff it like one.

October 16, 2022 3:05 pm  #8

Rune wrote:

Because they don't have a full staff. If Agar has to take a day off, they should have someone who can fill in. If you want to be viewed as a major station, and CFRB has always been that, then you have to be a major station. That means staff it like one.

Sounds like they found a way to keep everyone working with no day off needed for Agar

Smart on Jerry’s part

October 16, 2022 5:26 pm  #9

Rune - your comment makes no sense.  They are switching shifts.  How is that not staffing appropriately?  If either one wanted the day off and the other didn't fill in, there's plenty of others that could step in.  

October 16, 2022 5:53 pm  #10

BeatleTeunis wrote:

Rune - your comment makes no sense.  They are switching shifts.  How is that not staffing appropriately?  If either one wanted the day off and the other didn't fill in, there's plenty of others that could step in.  

I'll bite. Because one person off has changed two shifts. News/Talk stations are built on the drives, and you've taken your morning guy off to shift #1 to cover shift #3. In fall ratings.

October 16, 2022 8:47 pm  #11

Pretty sure it's not going to do a thing to ratings to have Agar in the morning - if anything many more may tune in to both shows out of curiosity.

October 16, 2022 9:06 pm  #12

They are just flipping shifts, no big whoop.  Jerry doesn't really take that many calls, so why do some think that John will be taking calls for three hours?  I am sure John will have guests and interviews and if there is time he will take some calls.  Sort of like what Jerry does....  I haven't heard how Agar does the morning show, never really plugged in the morning to hear when he fills in. 

October 17, 2022 2:51 pm  #13

What if, down the road, John Moore gets tired of the ridiculous hours of the morning show and Newstalk 1010, in order to keep him as a host and on the air, okays John switching to another shift, say mid-morning, and this is Newstalk trying it on for size because of Jerry's medical appointment absence.

I seem to recall something like this happening with Bill Carroll?

Would also explain why they didn't put anyone else in for Jerry this Friday and why Jerry has filled regularly in on MITM before in the recent past. 

Not saying there's any truth to this, it's just my writer's imagination in overdrive...

Last edited by betaylored (October 17, 2022 2:53 pm)

October 17, 2022 4:06 pm  #14

Let me explain. CFRB is a heritage radio station, a true giant. Look at the talent that has gone through there over the years. What the comment really was referring to is the demise of what was once a great radio station. There is no bench, and no news department. It's like the Blue Jays only ever played with 9 guys (although in this case it's more like 6). Let's say Bo Bichette couldn't play shortstop for some reason and what they did was move him to left field and moved Gurriel to shortstop. If that happened , you'd call them bush league. 

October 17, 2022 6:02 pm  #15

Rune wrote:

Let me explain. CFRB is a heritage radio station, a true giant. Look at the talent that has gone through there over the years. What the comment really was referring to is the demise of what was once a great radio station. There is no bench, and no news department. It's like the Blue Jays only ever played with 9 guys (although in this case it's more like 6). Let's say Bo Bichette couldn't play shortstop for some reason and what they did was move him to left field and moved Gurriel to shortstop. If that happened , you'd call them bush league. 

CFRB’s bench

Mark Towehy
Bob Reid
Deb Hutton
Tamira Cherri (spelling ??)

Not bad if you ask me

October 17, 2022 6:34 pm  #16

If that's their bench, why isn't one of them filling in for Agar? 

October 17, 2022 7:25 pm  #17

Rune wrote:

If that's their bench, why isn't one of them filling in for Agar? 

Because they found a way to have both people work and not waste a vacation day

Plus it’s a nice change

October 18, 2022 8:15 pm  #18

paterson1 wrote:

They are just flipping shifts, no big whoop.  Jerry doesn't really take that many calls, so why do some think that John will be taking calls for three hours?  I am sure John will have guests and interviews and if there is time he will take some calls.  Sort of like what Jerry does....  I haven't heard how Agar does the morning show, never really plugged in the morning to hear when he fills in. 

In making the announcement about the double shift change last Friday, Moore specifically mentioned that he was looking forward to taking more phone calls and spending more time with listeners than he gets to do on his busy morning show. I think that's why the mention of calls being a "luxury." But in any event, he was the one who brought it up. Whether that ends up happening or not, I'll guess we'll find out at week's end. 

October 21, 2022 4:59 pm  #19

I heard part of the switcheroo. I thought Moore sounded a lot more relaxed on air than he usually does. I attribute that to him getting at least two hours extra sleep, which he mentioned off the top, but also because there's a lot more room to breathe on the 9-noon shift than the hectic morning run. 

There were a few glitches - for instance, he kept giving out the local phone number instead of the long distance line, sometimes forgetting that he's also on CKTB and CJBK.

Agar, by the way, was back for part of the afternoon show, when John Tory guested for an hour. A long day for him.

Overall, an interesting change of pace, but I prefer the normal shifts for both of them.  

October 22, 2022 2:04 pm  #20

I heard the last hour of John filling in for Jerry. And really enjoyed hearing him riff, almost thinking out loud . He really is an actor/radio personality. I swear he could be the next Brian Linehan if he was given the opportunity. Interviewing people is one of his strengths.

One side effect of John being able to really get into a subject in the later shift, I didn't miss Robert Turner's contributions quite as much. And I still REALLY miss Robert Turner's contributions tho Nick Maiorano is doing a fine job.

A successful experiment but both hosts are well suited to their regular showtimes.

Last edited by betaylored (October 23, 2022 10:45 am)

October 22, 2022 8:42 pm  #21

I had fun listening to this switch-up! John with old pal Maureen Holloway was fun as well.

betaylored wrote:

tho Nick Murano (sp?) is doing a fine job.

Nick Maiorano, also co-host of the "Totally Useless Information" podcast.

On a side note, in this day and age I never quite understood the lazy use of the "(sp?)" tag. 30 years ago, maybe. But we have so much of the world's information at our fingertips within seconds - it's quite the miracle. Why not take 10 seconds in another browser tab to Google terms like "Nick +board op +Newstalk 1010" (a few different vaguely related keyword searches I tried all found his results at the top) to honor him with his correct name spelling? Lazy and disrespectful of the subject (the excellent Nick!) and the audience reading here, if to make their point the poster can't take 10 seconds to determine accuracy of a name spelling and just defaults to "(sp?)". Just strikes me as so odd in 2022!

October 22, 2022 11:06 pm  #22

Back when she first started, I tried to post a message here about Adwoa Nsiah-Yeboah. But try as I might to find her name on the web, nothing came up. Either that, or I was guessing so badly at the spelling that Google didn't recognize what I was looking for!

October 23, 2022 7:23 am  #23

I have listened to Adwoa on John Moore's show and I really liked her.  I would like to hear her more often beside just reporting traffic.

October 23, 2022 9:48 am  #24

She occasionally appears on one of the Roundtables during the week, so you can hear her doing something other than traffic. She's very good on air.

October 23, 2022 10:59 am  #25

AspectRatio wrote:

I had fun listening to this switch-up! John with old pal Maureen Holloway was fun as well.

betaylored wrote:

tho Nick Murano (sp?) is doing a fine job.

Nick Maiorano, also co-host of the "Totally Useless Information" podcast.

On a side note, in this day and age I never quite understood the lazy use of the "(sp?)" tag. 30 years ago, maybe. But we have so much of the world's information at our fingertips within seconds - it's quite the miracle. Why not take 10 seconds in another browser tab to Google terms like "Nick +board op +Newstalk 1010" (a few different vaguely related keyword searches I tried all found his results at the top) to honor him with his correct name spelling? Lazy and disrespectful of the subject (the excellent Nick!) and the audience reading here, if to make their point the poster can't take 10 seconds to determine accuracy of a name spelling and just defaults to "(sp?)". Just strikes me as so odd in 2022!

A good point AspectRatio, I went back and corrected my spelling of Nick's last name in my post.

It would be great to hear more of Maureen Holloway on 1010, as a weekly roundtable contributor perhaps and/or ideally as the host or co-host of a show.

Last edited by betaylored (October 23, 2022 10:59 am)

October 23, 2022 1:23 pm  #26

Listener wrote:

I have listened to Adwoa on John Moore's show and I really liked her.  I would like to hear her more often beside just reporting traffic.

Adwoa's a great presence and always adds something to the panels she's on. Her Dad Warren also appeared on air a couple times (I believe with Jim Richards and Jay Michaels in their "Rush" type) and is an audiophile and music buff.

Also she went viral a few years ago for putting Brandon Gonez in his place.

November 30, 2022 9:49 am  #27

John Moore's is off today having lost his voice.  So once again, they have Jerry Agar do Moore's show.

Moore vs Agar have dramatically different styles.  I for one think Moore is great, a gold standard, vs Agar, who is terrible.  So whenever Agar subs for Moore, I'm off to another channel.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have someone more akin to Moore style wise to sub in for Moore rather than someone so dramatically the opposite in style?

November 30, 2022 9:57 am  #28

I don't think they had a lot of notice, so it may have been a last-minute decision. Bob Reid of "Touchdowns and Fumbles" fame is taking Jerry's place.

I agree with you that Agar has a totally different approach than Moore, but I'm curious - who would you like to see as a replacement? Perhaps Dave Trafford might be available for spot duty? He used to do weekend mornings, so he's familiar with the format and the show, etc.  

November 30, 2022 10:24 am  #29

I'd take Trafford to sub in for Moore in a heartbeat.  Trafford did an excellent, well-prepared show on the weekends.  If Trafford was on today's Newstalk 1010 roster, he'd be #2, only behind Moore.

Last edited by g121 (November 30, 2022 10:25 am)

December 1, 2022 8:51 pm  #30

Another day of Jerry in for John.

Hope tomorrow will be a sweet sweet Friday in moore ways than one. 🤞