sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 14, 2022 3:48 pm  #1

Will You Go See This New Radio Station Based Movie Drama?

It's a new drama called "On The Line" and much of it takes place in a fictional radio station (KLAT-FM 100.3.) The story concerns a controversial talk show host named "Elvis" who takes a call from a deranged listener that hates him - and claims to be at his house about to kill his family. All this takes place while he's on the air.

It all looks a bit melodramatic to me but while I often enjoy movies that include radio in the story, there's no way I'll see this one. Its star is notorious anti-semite Mel Gibson and I'm afraid that would ruin it for me. Others may not care quite as much. It hits theatres Nov. 4th.

Here's the trailer:

Even if you hate the preview, you may appreciate the fake logo.

October 14, 2022 7:51 pm  #2

Re: Will You Go See This New Radio Station Based Movie Drama?

similar theme to "Play Misty For Me" [1971]  .. iirc, I saw this at the Weston Odeon .. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067588/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0 

Disc jockey Dave Garver (Clint Eastwood) attracts the amorous attentions of a demented fan named Evelyn Draper (Jessica Walter). Evelyn lets Dave pick her up at a bar. Later at her apartment, Evelyn admits that she is the cooing caller who repeatedly asks Dave to play the Erroll Garner classic "Misty". From then on, this movie is a lesson in how one casual date can turn your whole life around. Evelyn stalks Dave everywhere, ruins his business lunch, assaults his maid, mutilates his house and all of his belongings, and finally threatens to butcher his girlfriend Tobie Williams (Donna Mills). You'll never be able to hear that song again without looking over your shoulder.—alfiehitchie

Will I go see this new movie .. nah, the only flick that actually drew me to the theatre in many a year was Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice .

Last edited by g121 (October 14, 2022 7:57 pm)

October 14, 2022 8:35 pm  #3

2008 Bruce McDonald film Pontypool about a small town radio station in Ontario attacked by zombies....

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226681/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

October 16, 2022 11:22 am  #4

And then there was a very short-lived 1998 NBC TV series called "Midnight Caller," starring Gary Cole, which sounds somewhat like a version of the film's plot.  

October 16, 2022 11:25 am  #5

October 16, 2022 3:48 pm  #6

Outside of the titles mentioned here, I can only think of a few TV shows or movies based at a radio or TV station. 

WKRP, of course, is probably the best of the best and the one by which all others are measured.

Good Morning World was about two morning men, but after its initial showing in 1967, it went silent. 

Almost no one remembers the Adventures of Mark & Brian, two L.A. shock jocks who managed to get their own NBC reality show in the early 90s. No one watched and it was behind the mics and not the cameras for this duo.

The Hilarious House of Frightenstein wasn't really radio based, but can anyone forget Billy Van as The Wolfman?

McLean Stevenson left M*A*S*H for this disaster, which was given a quick goodbye.

The Boat That Rocked was about pirate radio in the U.K. and became a hit.

And then there was FM - which, as it turns out, had no static at all. 

As for TV, the Mary Tyler Moore Show remains the gold standard.

Max Headroom, which is supposed to be making a comeback, took place "five minutes into the future" at a TV newsroom.

Impossible to forget "Network" which gave birth to the phrase, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore."

Were there others?

October 16, 2022 4:06 pm  #7

https://youtu.be/wTjMqda19wk

Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom. Will's monologue about the United States, link above, is terrific.

All three seasons are excellent and the cast, many of them Broadway actors, are brilliant. Plus Sam Waterson in anything is worth watching.

Sorkin can be polarizing, god knows he's a Dickens level wordy writer but The Newsroom has smarts and heart, I dare you to not get a lump in your throat during the Rudy moment.

October 16, 2022 5:39 pm  #8

Made in Canada was a sitcom starring Rick Mercer that had a five year run on CBC. Known for having many guest stars over the years like Moses Znaimer, Keifer Sutherland, Margot Kidder, Evan Solomon, Colin Mochrie, Joe Flaherty, Ron James and others.  It was a darker satire about a company that produced shlocky but popular Canadian and international TV programming.   The series ran thoughout Latin America, US, Australia, New Zealand and France.  For international distribution the program's name was changed to The Industry..

October 16, 2022 5:59 pm  #9

paterson1 beat me to made in Canada.  there's the 90s series also called the newsroom, loosely based on CBLT Toronto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Newsroom_(Canadian_TV_series)

October 16, 2022 6:01 pm  #10

or a real classic Jimmy MacDonald's Canada.  Worth watching at least the intro if not the whole thing. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65PDTSIZDp4

October 16, 2022 7:29 pm  #11

https://youtu.be/va-0o_xBVnU

Here's the trailer for the 2016 flick Money Monster. Directed by Jodie Foster and starring George Clooney as a Wall Street investment hotshot with his own television show and Julia Roberts as the show's E.P., it's a thriller about what happens when Clooney gets taken hostage live on-air by a guy who lost all his money and blames George.

Fairly good plot and the real corporate dirtbags who Madoff with the funds are eventually discovered and brought to justice.

October 16, 2022 10:32 pm  #12

betaylored wrote:

https://youtu.be/wTjMqda19wk

Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom. Will's monologue about the United States, link above, is terrific.

All three seasons are excellent and the cast, many of them Broadway actors, are brilliant. Plus Sam Waterson in anything is worth watching.

Sorkin can be polarizing, god knows he's a Dickens level wordy writer but The Newsroom has smarts and heart, I dare you to not get a lump in your throat during the Rudy moment.

That 5 minute "The Newsroom" Will McAvoy/(Jeff Daniels) clip is one of my all time favourite moments in television .. "The Newsroom" is a superb show.  It's only failing was only 2 1/2 seasons were done : (( ..

Sorkin has a parade of genius offerings ..
-The West Wing
-Molly's Game
-The Social Network
-Moneyball
-American President
-Sports Night

October 17, 2022 2:41 pm  #13

https://youtu.be/P1DJNHyc9zs

another movie involving pirate radio, Christian Slater before he became enamored with imitating Jack Nicholson, and the timeless "Pump Up The Volume."

wouldn't mind a reboot of this and also "Play Misty For Me."

October 18, 2022 8:33 pm  #14

Can't believe I forgot this one that took place in a TV newsroom. Or at least a network one. It's first incarnation in 1988 was great. Its second, a remake with most of the original cast in 2018, was disappointing and was gone after one season. 

October 18, 2022 8:42 pm  #15

It might be an interesting movie to go see, but I need to see more than just one preview.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 18, 2022 9:08 pm  #16

Just by coincidence, here's another one soon to be released. It's called “Resistance: 1942” and is sort of a radio story, although it doesn't take place at an actual station. It's about a guy in Nazi Germany who secretly broadcasts message of hope from a radio rig to those in hiding from the brutal fascists. 

It stars Cary Elwes, Judd Hirsch and Jason Patric, among others. 

I have no idea if the movie is any good, but it won't be in theatres. Instead, it will be on digital and on demand beginning on Remembrance Day. Whether that applies to Canada remains to be seen.

October 18, 2022 11:07 pm  #17

splunge wrote:

2008 Bruce McDonald film Pontypool about a small town radio station in Ontario attacked by zombies....
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226681/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Sounded somewhat intriguing .. started off interesting .. the 2 lead actors were decent enough .. the sound effects/music too often drowned out the dialogue .. the ending was just silly ..

Still, i watched the whole thing; more than I can say of the heralded "The Big Lebowski" .. I've tried several times to watch but it just irritates me & i bail.