sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 13, 2022 2:25 pm  #1

What Netflix With Ads Will Look Like

It's a cheaper version of Netflix that will feature ads interrupting programs. But is it worth the discount? Forbes Magazine breaks down what the ad-supported streaming service will look like. It will be available in Canada on Nov. 1st.

Netflix With Ads Is Not Free. Here’s What It Includes And What It Excludes

October 13, 2022 3:09 pm  #2

Re: What Netflix With Ads Will Look Like

Is there a Canadian version of this news? ie Does the Canadian version also restrict the ad version to 720p? 
(etc...)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 13, 2022 3:15 pm  #3

This article from The Canadian Press doesn't address your question, but it does note the price here for the ad supported version will be $5.99 a month. 

October 13, 2022 5:25 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

Is there a Canadian version of this news? ie Does the Canadian version also restrict the ad version to 720p? 
(etc...)

Yes, that's correct. Ad version will be 720p. Basic will also move to 720p instead of SD. 

October 14, 2022 1:25 pm  #5

A cheaper but ad-laden Netflix in Canada has not exactly been welcomed with open arms.

Canadians Unhappy With Netflix Ad Plan

October 14, 2022 1:32 pm  #6

Four to five minutes of commercials per hour is not a lot.  Compare this to up to twenty minutes per hour on OTA television.   In the 1960's hour shows had nine or ten minutes of commercials per hour. 

October 14, 2022 3:34 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

Four to five minutes of commercials per hour is not a lot.  Compare this to up to twenty minutes per hour on OTA television.   In the 1960's hour shows had nine or ten minutes of commercials per hour. 

But as those who are complaining point out, they didn't have to shell out $5.99 to watch those OTA commercials, however many there were. Those shows were aired for free. That's ultimately the difference. 

If I were a Netflix subscriber this wouldn't bother me - I can make the choice to go lower or higher tier. But obviously some don't see it that way. 

October 14, 2022 3:45 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

But as those who are complaining point out, they didn't have to shell out $5.99 to watch those OTA commercials, however many there were. Those shows were aired for free. That's ultimately the difference. 

If I were a Netflix subscriber this wouldn't bother me - I can make the choice to go lower or higher tier. But obviously some don't see it that way. 

True, but they also shelling out $5.99 for programming that they won't see anywhere else and certainly not on OTA television.  If they are going to survive all of the streamers will be offering cheaper packages with commercials at some point.  Interesting that CBC Gem was one of the first to offer this. Their base package is free but doesn't have near the programming of the paid GEM service and they have a lot more than 4 or 5 minutes of ads per hour. 

October 14, 2022 9:33 pm  #9

Ads were handy back in the day for a quick trip to the fridge or loo.

More recently it's fun to check out the spots themselves, the performance of the voice actor and to guess who's voicing it.

Netflix should fix their streaming issues before faffing about with anything else. So tired of their glitches when trying to watch a show.

Last edited by betaylored (October 14, 2022 9:37 pm)

October 15, 2022 11:44 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Both of you missed the other all important point that with cable, one can record a program, watch it later and fast forward through the ads.
Netflix OTOH
has set it up so that you have no choice. If you choose to pay only $5.99 you must also accept the ads.
Fast forwarding is not allowed for ANY of that 4-5 minutes.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 31, 2022 12:12 am  #11

The Revolution is coming, but first, a word from our sponsor...

From the Canadian Press:

Netflix and other streamers bring back ads after disrupting TV landscape