sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2022 4:13 pm  #1

Global Updates Its News Graphics

If you watch Global news, you may be seeing it in a whole new way Wednesday. The station unveiled a new graphics package for its newscast and it takes some getting used to. As someone who did that job for a while in my dim past, I have to say I'm not crazy about the decision they made - a brownish grey background with white lettering? It's kind of hard to read and doesn't really stand out on the screen very well. 

The promos for what's coming up have changed as well, with a bright red banner and some black lettering. And all the weather graphics are new, as well, which should make Anthony Farnell's day. I'm glad they got rid of the "colourforms"-like pictures they used to show sun or storm, but I find the new ones hard to read. 

Maybe it will just take some getting used to. 

The changes have also spilled over slightly to Corus-owned AM 640. It's replaced its old news stinger at the top of the hour with a new one that's a little bit more compact. Not really all that major to make much of a difference, but if you're used to the old news intro, it's noticeable. 

October 12, 2022 4:37 pm  #2

Re: Global Updates Its News Graphics

RadioActive wrote:

If you watch Global news, you may be seeing it in a whole new way Wednesday. The station unveiled a new graphics package for its newscast and it takes some getting used to. As someone who did that job for a while in my dim past, I have to say I'm not crazy about the decision they made - a brownish grey background with white lettering? It's kind of hard to read and doesn't really stand out on the screen very well. 

The promos for what's coming up have changed as well, with a bright red banner and some black lettering. And all the weather graphics are new, as well, which should make Anthony Farnell's day. I'm glad they got rid of the "colourforms"-like pictures they used to show sun or storm, but I find the new ones hard to read. 

Maybe it will just take some getting used to. 

The changes have also spilled over slightly to Corus-owned AM 640. It's replaced its old news stinger at the top of the hour with a new one that's a little bit more compact. Not really all that major to make much of a difference, but if you're used to the old news intro, it's noticeable. 

Here’s a video of the new graphics and music…

https://youtu.be/g1dZK7YEH_M

October 12, 2022 5:05 pm  #3

The graphics look ok to me.  Who would have thought that CHEX and CKWS Peterborough and Kingston would have a better looking news presentation than Toronto?  Looks good when small markets use the multi screen for information. 

October 12, 2022 6:51 pm  #4

Thanks for the link ED1 📺

Clunky design. Trying to be retro early 1970's era? Unattractive oddball colours.

It's okay, small o on okay.

Last edited by betaylored (October 12, 2022 10:08 pm)

October 12, 2022 7:03 pm  #5

The new graphics remind me of the Globe & Mail.

October 12, 2022 7:12 pm  #6

Broadcast Dialogue has posted another video of the new graphics showing how they will be used for newscasts and some Global public affairs programming.  Notice the new theme music as well..BUT, a terrible edit of the music at about 39 seconds.  Hope this sloppy edit of the theme never gets past the 39 second mark on air.    https://broadcastdialogue.com/global-news-refreshes-branding/ 

Last edited by paterson1 (October 12, 2022 7:34 pm)

October 12, 2022 7:27 pm  #7

MJ Vancouver wrote:

The new graphics remind me of the Globe & Mail.

Thank-you! They reminded me of something, but I couldn't quite place it..

October 13, 2022 3:30 pm  #8

It reminds me too much of a newspaper.   It also doesn't look as polished as it did before, music is very generic to me... nothing that stands out.    The one they came from felt polished and better connected to "GLOBAL" as the network.        

Last edited by radiokid (October 13, 2022 3:31 pm)

October 14, 2022 5:54 pm  #9

It's a very minor rebrand in comparison, but CFRB's top of the hour IDs are now being voiced by a woman. She also introduces the two daily Roundtables on John Moore's show. Also, they instituted a new voice on their weather after the news. On Friday, it was CTV's Lyndsey Morrison instead of the CTV anchor. How they'll handle it when there's no weather person present is yet to be seen - or heard. 

October 15, 2022 2:41 pm  #10

Makes we wonder when the Weather Channel will update its graphics. They've had the same ones seemingly forever.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (October 15, 2022 2:41 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 16, 2022 3:13 pm  #11

Dale Patterson wrote:

Makes we wonder when the Weather Channel will update its graphics. They've had the same ones seemingly forever.

I think the graphics on the HD feed were updated around 6-8 years ago. 

October 17, 2022 10:57 am  #12

CTV is probably due for a graphics change soon, their current graphics came out a few months after Global's previous look.

October 17, 2022 3:00 pm  #13

BBC and CBC have similar graphics for news, and now Global is closer to these two.