sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 5, 2016 11:50 pm  #1

WABC New York City 1960s Audio Chain

I've just come across a Youtube site that I think some of you might enjoy...

It's called WABC1960sautionchain and it has recreated the 60's radio sound that many of us enjoyed back in the day. 

They've selected more than 250 oldies and run them through vintage e.q.  vintage plate reverb and vintage compression and limiting. The idea is to faithfully recreate the sound that we heard coming out of the radio back in the 60's. No dj chit-chat (although we love our dj chit-chat don't we ?) Just pure music...

According to the site host "vintage audio processing sounds richer, denser and warmer than anything you can hear on the radio today." And after listening to the site the last couple of days I think I agree.

So if you're a 60's fan, or an audiophile, or an engineering geek or just a music lover in general and decide to take that trip back in time please let me know what you think of the "sound".

Just enter the following ---->  WABC compressed <----- into the Youtube search box and up she comes...top of the page...

Be anxious to hear your thoughts...remember there are over 250 selections so have a good look and a good listen...some of your favourite tunes are there I promise...

Me ?  I like it very much !!

Last edited by unclefester (November 6, 2016 12:00 am)

November 6, 2016 12:04 am  #2

Re: WABC New York City 1960s Audio Chain

Sounds great. I've love to see an oldies station do this.

https://www.youtube.com/user/WABC1960SAUDIOCHAIN

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 6, 2016 1:01 am  #3

I have but one complaint.

Why did they use fake-stereo versions of some songs (I'm thinking "La Bamba") that were originally done in Mono?  (At least I didn't think it was recorded in Stereo in 1958) The vocals are way in the mud.

For that matter, if you're processing for a mono radio station, would you not use a mono source if one is available.

But other than that, and the bit of loud 60hz hum at the beginning of each song, (well, ok, I only listened to about a dozen random songs) it actually sounds quite good.  I think it would be perfect for a station playing oldies on FM.

November 6, 2016 1:37 am  #4

It would be interesting to know or find out what type of turntable was in use at WABC studios during this time, and if the turntables had been modified to run a bit faster.

I recall reading on an earlier edition of this board, that this was done at CHUM AM. Engineering did a small mod to the turntables so they would run just a tiny bit faster than 45rpm, so the music would have a slightly faster or tighter tempo. 

Also, how many of the records were from actual Radio Station releases?  vs. the version or release that was available for consumers to buy at their local record store...

Just wondering...

Last edited by Glen Warren (November 6, 2016 2:32 am)

November 6, 2016 3:11 pm  #5

60s Radio in a properly equipped radio station was RCA ribbon mics, RCA tube console, copper pair to the transmitter site, RCA BA6A limiter/compressor, RCA Transmitter.
Tape machines were Ampex 350/351, Cart Machines RCA and turntables 16" with Gray Viscous damped arms and GE VRII turnaround cartridges.  All mono, of course.  That's what we had at 1000 watt CKOV in Kelowna, BC, not to mention a large staff of professionals who knew what they were doing.  The station was much better equipped than most of the majors, RCA turnkey installation.  It had "that" sound that can only be done by a properly set up BA6A which "glued" all the sound together perfectly.

November 7, 2016 9:41 am  #6

I must say that when I was at AM 96 in Cambridge, other than the reverb, the processing was very much like this.  It sounds like the attack and release cycle is heavy and quick.  As reminiscent this may be of old radio, don't you find that the pumping in the mid-bass gets a bit much?  Also loud mids, like sustained vocals, just drown out all of the instruments in the background.

Some sounds sound impressive with it, but others just leave me cold with this processing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just listened to the Thelma Houston example.  It almost sounds like the threshold setting was lifted here.  Notice the beginning is a tad lower in volume? Also there is more "fade" at the end.  Overall the audio breathes a tad more.  Also you still accomplish what the processing attemps to achieve by bringing the vocals to the forefront.

Was it indeed changed for this track, or am imagining things here?

Last edited by Jody Thornton (November 7, 2016 9:51 am)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

November 7, 2016 9:47 am  #7

You're correct, Mike.  Even if a station had the gear if they didn't have the people who knew how to set it up "that" sound just wasn't there.  Ed Buterbaugh used multi-band compression at CKLW long before Orban appeared on the scene.  The bottom end on that signal was unbelievable.

After listening to a couple of the processed tunes on YouTube I don't think they have it dialed in properly. I'm sure listener fatigue would set in rather quickly the way those sound, something that WABC would have avoided at all costs.