sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 5, 2022 11:46 pm  #1

An Odd Emergency Message On WGRZ-TV's Primetime - From WBUF-FM!

I just watched Tuesday's episode of New Amsterdam off my DVR and saw something very odd. With five minutes left in the show, a large green banner appeared at the top of the screen, with an annoying noise cutting off the audio similar to the emergency alerts we get in Canada.

But this one was different. It wasn't an emergency at all. 

It read (caps are where they were used on the crawl), "A broadcast or cable system has issued A REQUIRED MONTHLY TEST for the following counties or areas: Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Wyoming N.Y.; at 9:55 PM on OCT 4, 2022 Effective until 10:55 PM." But then it ended with something I never expected. "Message from WBUF."

WBUF? Really? Are they responsible for emergency messages in Buffalo similar to how Pelmorex is here? I find that hard to believe. And by the way, since this wasn't an actual emergency in any way, couldn't they at least have waited until there weren't five minutes left in the show I was watching? Kind of an important part of the plot was unfolding and not only did the sound disappear, so did the close captioning. So there's no way to know what was missed. 

I've been watching Buffalo TV for a long time. And I can't ever remember seeing something like this in primetime. Did anyone else see this? And how is WBUF involved?

October 6, 2022 12:27 am  #2

Re: An Odd Emergency Message On WGRZ-TV's Primetime - From WBUF-FM!

Interesting..
I saw a similar test/crawl message on Tuesday evening while watching the Two and a Half Men episode on WUTV at 11:45 pm... Which had a similar glaring error...

"A broadcast or cable system has issued A REQUIRED MONTHLY TEST for the following counties or areas: Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Wyoming N.Y.; at 9:55 PM on OCT 4, 2022 Effective until 10:55 PM.. Message from WTSS."

WTSS? 
I checked the calls, and they appear to be for a radio station somewhere in Florida which never made it to air... 

strange... 

October 6, 2022 12:28 am  #3

That's odd.  The only TV connection those call letters have to TV is as channel 17 in Buffalo for 5 years in the 1950's.

October 6, 2022 12:29 am  #4

Glen Warren wrote:

Interesting..
I saw a similar test/crawl message on Tuesday evening while watching the Two and a Half Men episode on WUTV at 11:45 pm... Which had a similar glaring error...

"A broadcast or cable system has issued A REQUIRED MONTHLY TEST for the following counties or areas: Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Wyoming N.Y.; at 9:55 PM on OCT 4, 2022 Effective until 10:55 PM.. Message from WTSS."

WTSS? 
I checked the calls, and they appear to be for a radio station somewhere in Florida which never made it to air... 

strange... 

WTSS is Star 102.5.

October 6, 2022 2:31 am  #5

Both WBUF and WTSS are local primary (LP) stations for the EAS system in the Buffalo area. (It's WPXY and WHAM for Rochester.)

The way the US system works, each state is required to have its own EAS plan that designates regions and monitoring assignments. State and local emergency agencies originate the content of emergency messages and the system then disseminates those messages outward starting with the LP stations. Every other station in the region is then required to have an off-air receiver monitoring the LP stations to pick up and rebroadcast those emergency messages.

The LP stations must each originate a required weekly test (RWT), and that's what you saw on TV. It's done during daytime and nighttime hours on alternating weeks. Including the source at the end of the message allows the engineer at the downstream stations to log where it was received from and make sure the system is working properly.

There's also a national component to the system, with a smaller number of stations designated as presidential entry points (PEP), with hardened facilities and direct connections to DC. National emergency messages would flow through those PEP stations to the LP stations to the rest of us.

If this all sounds a little ungainly compared to just contracting with Pelmorex to deliver to everyone, it is! The US system is increasingly moving to using that over the air daisy chain as a backup. The main distribution of emergency messages is now through a computer system called CAP.

Even so, every licensed radio and TV station (translators don't count) in the US must have an "EAS box" that is connected to receivers tuned to the LP stations as well as to the CAP internet feed. And they must retransmit those weekly tests. That's what you saw on WGRZ - a test that was scheduled from WBUF being picked up and rebroadcast.

There's a time window during which the rebroadcast of that test can be delayed (I want to say 30 minutes), but it appears WGRZ just had their EAS box set to immediately retransmit regardless of what was on the air being interrupted.

Other than a presidential national activation, rebroadcasting any other level of alert is optional. Most of us at smaller stations set ours to rebroadcast major weather categories like tornado warnings and flash flood warnings, but not lower level advisories like winter storm watches, which are too frequent around here.

October 6, 2022 7:17 am  #6

Thanks as always. Your knowledge is incredible. I really appreciate the explanation. But I do have one last question.

Is this new? I've never seen this before and I've been watching Buffalo TV for years. I'm guessing Glen Warren has also not seen this too often in the past. When did it start? And why would you schedule a "test" message in primetime?

I hope this isn't the beginning of a trend that blacks out the end of a show. I can just see it now - "And the name of the killer is..." EEE-OW-EE-OW - This is a test from WBUF..." There's a time and place for these. This isn't one of them!

October 6, 2022 11:31 am  #7

Thanks for the kind words!

It's not new - the system goes back to the 1990s - but usually the required tests are scheduled at less disruptive times. I tend to see the daytime ones in the  10 AM hour here.

October 6, 2022 9:55 pm  #8

This is from the last part of Alan Pergament's column in Thursday's Buffalo News:

"Some viewers of the NBC hospital series “New Amsterdam” also were upset on Tuesday night when a required emergency test prevented key dialogue in the final 10 minutes of the episode to be heard.

Mark Manders, general manager of local NBC affiliate WGRZ-TV (Channel 2) said no complaints were reported.    

"We are required to do a monthly EAS system test," wrote Manders. "That test was fulfilling part of that requirement." 

The timing of fulfilling the requirement certainly could have been better.

"It was not our call," added Manders. "The alert was triggered at 9:55 p.m. and we have one hour to broadcast the alert after that. We try to reduce the disruption by limiting it to a crawl. The unfortunate aspect of it is it eliminates the audio for 60 seconds."