sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2022 1:01 pm  #1

CTV Toronto & Global Both Skip Noon News

I found it an interesting decision that neither CTV Toronto nor Global bothered with a noon newscast on Friday. 

The fact this isn't an official stat in Ontario likely means many in the public simply consider this still new observance an ordinary work day. With all the ceremonies taking place to mark Truth & Reconciliation Day, which is certainly news, I was frankly surprised the stations decided to give their people the early afternoon off.  (To be fair, CTV did broadcast a special on the day in that time slot, but not an actual newscast.)

I have to assume the reason is that while today is technically a national holiday and they're both regulated by the feds, they didn't want to bring in the crews and pay them overtime. But I can't help but feel they should have been there, even if noon newscasts aren't the highest viewed shows, to at least cover the observances that took place in Toronto, as well as Ontario and across the country. CTV could have at least simulcasted CP24 for an hour. 

While the issue of Indigenous mistreatment is huge, I can't help but recall what Maureen Holloway told John Moore early Friday morning during their brief debrief. "You can't get a tee time anywhere in this city today." If this holiday is ever going to mean anything, that has to change. And covering the story on a noon newscast when some government workers are at home just might have helped. 

September 30, 2022 2:22 pm  #2

Re: CTV Toronto & Global Both Skip Noon News

Broadcasting is federal, and it's a federal stat.  Same reason posties and banks are closed.

September 30, 2022 3:04 pm  #3

And yet all the morning and afternoon radio hosts showed up for work as normal. TV and radio are federal - I know having worked in both. But for better or worse, that doesn't mean they get the day off. It's not quite the normal kind of work where you can just close everything and stay home. 

That said, the audience for the noon newscasts are pretty small so I'm sure most people didn't notice they weren't there. 

September 30, 2022 6:28 pm  #4

In most cases, television pays more than radio, and for the majority of TV stations, the employees are unionized.

September 30, 2022 6:32 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

And yet all the morning and afternoon radio hosts showed up for work as normal. 

Except on the majority of stations they didn't.

September 30, 2022 6:40 pm  #6

John Moore was there. Reshmi Nair, too. Greg Brady showed up and so did Oakley. Those are the main hosts I was referring to. Normally, they take stats off. Not on Friday.

September 30, 2022 6:43 pm  #7

"all"?

October 1, 2022 1:09 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

John Moore was there. Reshmi Nair, too. Greg Brady showed up and so did Oakley. Those are the main hosts I was referring to. Normally, they take stats off. Not on Friday.

The vast majority of FM stations had the same two indigenous hosts all day, therefore nearly all of the regulars had the day off

October 1, 2022 1:44 pm  #9

Both CTV's lead anchors (Michelle Dube and Nathan Downer) were apparently given the entire day off, since neither of them anchored the 6pm newscast.

October 1, 2022 4:29 pm  #10

Even CTV Kitchener did not do their noon and 5 newscasts. But they had an half an hour 6PM newscast. CTV London and CTV Windsor did air a special newscast for Truth and Reconciliation Day. Than there was no 11PM news for London and Windsor. Same for CTV Barrie.

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (October 1, 2022 4:29 pm)