sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 1, 2022 6:51 am  #1

Amber alerts on Global

For the second day, Global News Toronto ran the tornado warnings (this time for Ottawa area) without overlaying the old red (with white text) screen. There was Alan Carter mouthing his story while the verbal tornado warning droned on. Also, unlike the original method, this was in English only.

Is this the new delivery method on all stations? Verbal only?

September 1, 2022 7:22 am  #2

Re: Amber alerts on Global

This post is not about the amber alert, however, when Alan Carter was doing yesterday's evening news about a young hockey player from Ayr, Ontario who die on the rink it was cut off and several commercials took it's place. I never did hear about this young man and nothing was said afterwards.

September 1, 2022 8:38 am  #3

Dial Twister wrote:

For the second day, Global News Toronto ran the tornado warnings (this time for Ottawa area) without overlaying the old red (with white text) screen. There was Alan Carter mouthing his story while the verbal tornado warning droned on. Also, unlike the original method, this was in English only.

No.   Something is broken at Global.

September 1, 2022 9:25 am  #4

I'm not sure on the setup at Global, but does it run the alerts on the whole network OR just for the local area of whatever transmitter falls within the alert?    I can only assume it runs Ontario wide on all CIII transmitters.   If not, it likely could be hard to monitor should something go wrong like this I would think.   

September 1, 2022 4:42 pm  #5

In Phase wrote:

Dial Twister wrote:

Their Kingston station tweeted that their Toronto control centre was "undergoing work"

September 1, 2022 4:49 pm  #6

September 1, 2022 5:34 pm  #7

RadioAaron wrote:

In Phase wrote:

Dial Twister wrote:

Their Kingston station tweeted that their Toronto control centre was "undergoing work"

yup, Corus is in the midst of relocating On Air / MCR Operations from Calgary to Corus Quay.  

As well, the CIII Bancroft transmitter is slated to shutdown very soon, and the main Global feed will be multiplexed onto the CKWS signal in order to continue the Toronto/regional signal to the area.

The problems earlier in the week with the Toronto/Montreal nooner tanking halfway thru was due to automation and newsroom systems being moved to new virtual network servers...  and the existing IT network being taxed by the new traffic load.

September 1, 2022 7:11 pm  #8

Glen Warren wrote:

yup, Corus is in the midst of relocating On Air / MCR Operations from Calgary to Corus Quay.  

As well, the CIII Bancroft transmitter is slated to shutdown very soon, and the main Global feed will be multiplexed onto the CKWS signal in order to continue the Toronto/regional signal to the area.

The problems earlier in the week with the Toronto/Montreal nooner tanking halfway thru was due to automation and newsroom systems being moved to new virtual network servers...  and the existing IT network being taxed by the new traffic load.

Yowzers!

September 1, 2022 9:12 pm  #9

Glen Warren wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

In Phase wrote:

The master control move from Calgary to Toronto has reportedly been completed this week, so we are seeing the gremlins of the new playout system across the network. 

September 2, 2022 10:16 am  #10

So, I guess because of the transmitter switch, it's causing intermittent signal issues?  I do see more pixelated/broken pictures the last few days when I was watching the news between 5:30 & 7 PM.

September 2, 2022 10:46 am  #11

chrishch wrote:

So, I guess because of the transmitter switch, it's causing intermittent signal issues?  I do see more pixelated/broken pictures the last few days when I was watching the news between 5:30 & 7 PM.

Where are you viewing from, and how are you receiving the signal? 

September 28, 2022 2:46 pm  #12

Glen Warren wrote:

In Markham, Ontario, about 100 metres south of Highway 7 between Leslie & Bayview.

I use an indoor OTA that faces south.  I checked my tuner and when tuned to 41.1, all of signal strength, signal quality, and symbol quality are at 100%.  It has been almost a month, and I am still seeing these artifacts.

Last edited by chrishch (September 28, 2022 2:47 pm)

September 28, 2022 3:41 pm  #13

chrishch wrote:

Glen Warren wrote:

In Markham, Ontario, about 100 metres south of Highway 7 between Leslie & Bayview.

I use an indoor OTA that faces south.  I checked my tuner and when tuned to 41.1, all of signal strength, signal quality, and symbol quality are at 100%.  It has been almost a month, and I am still seeing these artifacts.

I can second this. I, too frequently have issues with Global, despite the fact I have a 40' tall tower at the side of my house on a rotor. Looking at the tech specs, it tells me signal strength is 100% and signal quality is, too. But still I get picture tears, audio drop-outs and occasionally, just a black screen from time to time. Only a slight change to the antenna position fixes it - and even that doesn't always work.

This is the only Toronto signal that does this on any kind of a regular basis and I've never been able to figure out why. Now I see I'm not alone. I'm near Bathurst & Steeles.

The thing is at full strength - but still acts like it's not there some of the time.  

September 28, 2022 4:21 pm  #14

Quote ;=12px CIII Bancroft transmitter is slated to shutdown very soon, and the main Global feed will be multiplexed onto the CKWS signal in order to continue the Toronto/regional signal to the area.End quote.As if CKWS or CHEX signal very little can reach into Bancroft transmitter service area.

September 28, 2022 6:13 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

chrishch wrote:

Glen Warren wrote:

I can second this. I, too frequently have issues with Global, despite the fact I have a 40' tall tower at the side of my house on a rotor. Looking at the tech specs, it tells me signal strength is 100% and signal quality is, too. But still I get picture tears, audio drop-outs and occasionally, just a black screen from time to time. Only a slight change to the antenna position fixes it - and even that doesn't always work.

This is the only Toronto signal that does this on any kind of a regular basis and I've never been able to figure out why. Now I see I'm not alone. I'm near Bathurst & Steeles.

The thing is at full strength - but still acts like it's not there some of the time.  

When I lived on Sheppard Ave in North York, I got clear OTA signals for CBLT and CFTO. CIII and CITY both had problems, though back then I found CITY to be worse of those two.