sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 23, 2022 4:08 pm  #1

AM 640 Host Worries About Charlottetown Home As Hurricane Nears

I had no idea that frequent AM 640 fill-in host Arlene Bynon has what's referred to as a "second home" in Charlottetown, P.E.I. I always thought she lived exclusively in Southern Ontario. She may wish she did, after appearing on Kelly Cutrara's show from the Island province on Friday.

She's riding out Hurricane Fiona there and while she's mostly fearless on air, she admits she's "scared" about what may be coming to her home, her property - and herself. Not sure why she's there now with what could be one of the worst storms in history heading towards the east coast of Canada, but she intends to ride it out there, whatever happens this weekend. 

In all candor, I know Arlene and used to work with her a very long time ago. She's a terrific lady and I wish her a lot of luck as Mother Nature unleashes what's sure to be a very tough 48-hours to a very uncertain place. 

September 23, 2022 5:10 pm  #2

Re: AM 640 Host Worries About Charlottetown Home As Hurricane Nears

I have a good friend in Summerside, and another in Springhill NS. Both are in the projected path of possible 140 kmh wind and could get up to 150 mm of rain. As well as no power. I wish them all well. 

Last edited by mic'em (September 23, 2022 5:10 pm)

September 23, 2022 5:42 pm  #3

One of our occasional SOWNY posters, a former TV and radio guy from Toronto, lives and works in Charlottetown. I hope he's going to be OK. If you're reading this, good luck Al and stay safe!

September 23, 2022 5:56 pm  #4

This is really a weekend where radio could come to the forefront. If the power goes out due to Fiona, TVs are basically useless and if your cell phone powers down (or the connections are affected by downed towers) a simple transistor radio will be the saviour for many. It's probably the one medium you can always count on to be there in a crisis. I just hope some people still have one of them - along with the batteries needed to run them.

I'm guessing it's all hands on deck for those working in Halifax, Charlottetown, and St. John's, among other markets. 

September 23, 2022 10:41 pm  #5

My sister lives in Charlottetown .. 

i've got this live Charlottetown cam feed going .. 
https://www.theguildpei.com/about/charlottetown-live-stream/ 

*edit* & just got word from my sister .. they had lost power for a few hours but it just came back on 30 minutes ago .. they're hunkered down on the main floor with pets & bugout bags at the ready in case they need to skedaddle .. 

Last edited by g121 (September 23, 2022 10:47 pm)