sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2016 1:02 am  #1

Some World Series Games Missing from Toronto Radio

With two sports radio outlets in Toronto, why are some World Series games not being broadcast here? I was driving
Tuesday evening and wanted to listen to game 6. The Fan 590 had a Leafs game. Rogers other stations 680 and 92.5 were not carrying it. Of course TSN 1050 did not have it. I tried WGR 550....no baseball. Not surprising since Buffalo cares only about the Bills & Sabres.  I did manage to find it on XM channel 80 with Dan Shulman doing the play-by-play. Surely there are enough baseball fans in the GTA to justify broadcasting ALL the World Series games on local radio here. Arrangements could have been made with either TSN 1050 or another Rogers station. Any comments?

November 2, 2016 5:24 am  #2

Re: Some World Series Games Missing from Toronto Radio

I think you answered your own question.
XM is holding the rights.
Cost to gain rights from them may have been too high to bother, considering it's not the Jays.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 2, 2016 10:45 am  #3

XM isn't exclusive....games were available, but it makes no sense to put 'em on 680 or 92.5

November 2, 2016 11:02 am  #4

Don wrote:

XM isn't exclusive....games were available, but it makes no sense to put 'em on 680 or 92.5

It wasn't on 1050 either. What sport were they covering?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 2, 2016 11:21 am  #5

mojo55 wrote:

Of course TSN 1050 did not have it.   

Does Bob McCown know about this ??

November 2, 2016 11:44 am  #6

I wondered about this, too. I wound up listening to it on WTAM Cleveland, the 50K voice of the
Indians at 1100 AM. Not as good or unbiased as Shulman and the ESPN gang, but better than nothing. And it almost always comes in perfectly here at night.

November 2, 2016 2:24 pm  #7

I just heard the Fan confirm that not much is going to change for Game 7. They're airing the Raptors/Wizards contest Wednesday night and will "join the World Series in progress" afterwards.

Let's see, Cleveland hasn't won this thing since around the time of World War II, while there's no one alive today who remembers the Cubs last win 108 years ago. But the Raptor game has a priority.

They used to shunt extra sports programming over to CKTB, even though it's a Bell station. Unless,they have the Ice Dogs or the Leafs on, shouldn't somebody in this market carry the seventh game of a very historic World Series on the radio in this market?

I get the priority is given to local teams and it may be contractual, but this isn't any ordinary game. Surely they could find someone to take the entire broadcast.

Pathetic. 

WTAM, here I come!  Again.    

Last edited by RadioActive (November 2, 2016 3:56 pm)

November 2, 2016 6:57 pm  #8

I remember many years ago when I was a kid I was always able to listen to the World Series on the radio. This was back in the day when the World Series games were during the day and we listened to them on our transistor radios when we were in school until the teacher caught us. I have no idea what station the games were on, but we didn't have any "sports" stations like we do today and there never seemed to be a problem.

Like RadioActive I listened to the game on WTAM on the way home the other night and will be doing the same tonight.

November 2, 2016 9:48 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

Don wrote:

It wasn't on 1050 either. What sport were they covering?

My guess would be (I don't know) that only Rogers, as an MLB flagship, even had the chance to carry.

Last edited by Don (November 2, 2016 9:48 pm)

November 2, 2016 11:04 pm  #10

My 2¢...

Last week I was expecting to hear the Leafs/Lightning on 590 but got World Series Game 1 instead. 1050 carried the Leafs game that night, which surprised me. Figured 590 would go with the property they pretty much own over a non-Jays WS.

Last edited by BoredOp (November 2, 2016 11:07 pm)

November 3, 2016 1:04 am  #11

Ah, but the point is that at least there was somewhere you could go to hear what you wanted. Can't say that for every game of the World Series. And considering how amazing game 7 was, not carrying the whole thing was, to put it mildly, unfortunate for anyone in Toronto.