sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 19, 2022 9:44 am  #31

Re: Lisa LaFlamme To Anchor CityNews Coverage Of Queen's Passing

I have a few questions about what I heard on CityNews 680 Monday morning. They were the only major spoken word station in the city to stay with their regular format while the event was unfolding in England, and I must say I really appreciated having the alternative.

Now I'll admit I'm not an expert on honourifics and titles, but there were a few weird things in their lead report on the funeral. The reporter kept referring to people listening to the silence. Isn't that an oxymoron? I'm sure there might have been a better way to phrase it. 

In the same report, we were told that there was a special song performed by the choir, "comprised" specially for the occasion. Shouldn't that be "composed?" 

That was repeated over and over every hour, and so was another one that stuck out like a sore thumb to me. She kept talking about the address from the "Duke of Canterbury." Did she mean the Archbishop of Canterbury? I'm not aware he has the title of "Duke," yet that apparent error kept getting repeated again and again every time they went to that story. I stand to be corrected on this, of course and if anyone knows if he actually has that title, I'd be interested to find out. 

Overall, I have to admit I didn't really watch any of it, after 11 straight days of this and about to be bombarded by endless highlights on the news. But it was on almost every station - including CBC French, which I guess shouldn't have surprised me, but given the attitude to anything English in Quebec, was nice to see. 

The OMNIs had nothing on it and appeared to stick to regular ethnic programming, which - given how much Rogers has spent on its coverage - wasn't what I was expecting. 

September 19, 2022 10:12 am  #32

I feel uncomfortable listening 2 lisa surrounded by amateurs, her move to global national cant come soon enough.

September 19, 2022 10:29 am  #33

BBC didn't have those annoying banners across the screen

September 19, 2022 11:50 am  #34

I’m enjoying hearing Lisa again.

Living on the west coast, it was a 2am start for me!

September 19, 2022 12:00 pm  #35

So the big question now is - what happens to Ms. LaFlamme? She may do a recap for a day on City and then what? They just don't really have a place for her and I can only assume she did this to increase her profile, as well as wanting to cover one of the biggest stories in decades. 

Someone here has suggested Global National. I'm not sure - they have Dawna Friesen and they just hired Farah Nasser. What would LaFlamme do? 

CBC is a possibility, although I wonder if someone who is so fiercely independent on how things are done would react under their stricter rules. 

So who's left? Certainly she's not going back to CTV anytime soon. CNN? CNBC? Would a U.S. network want her and if so, would she be willing to go down there? I'm not convinced that will happen. 

Perhaps a columnist in one of the Toronto papers? But would that satisfy her? She doesn't strike me as someone who would be happy with a podcast, but that seems to be the direction many former broadcasters are going. 

This is one to watch and I suspect that we have not seen the last of her. Just where and why is another story. 

September 19, 2022 12:03 pm  #36

Unacceptable audio

September 19, 2022 12:26 pm  #37

RadioActive wrote:

So the big question now is - what happens to Ms. LaFlamme? She may do a recap for a day on City and then what? They just don't really have a place for her and I can only assume she did this to increase her profile, as well as wanting to cover one of the biggest stories in decades. 

Someone here has suggested Global National. I'm not sure - they have Dawna Friesen and they just hired Farah Nasser. What would LaFlamme do? 

CBC is a possibility, although I wonder if someone who is so fiercely independent on how things are done would react under their stricter rules. 

So who's left? Certainly she's not going back to CTV anytime soon. CNN? CNBC? Would a U.S. network want her and if so, would she be willing to go down there? I'm not convinced that will happen. 

Perhaps a columnist in one of the Toronto papers? But would that satisfy her? She doesn't strike me as someone who would be happy with a podcast, but that seems to be the direction many former broadcasters are going. 

This is one to watch and I suspect that we have not seen the last of her. Just where and why is another story. 

Even if there were an opening at City, I doubt Lisa would be a good fit for the network. Not a fault of her or City's own, it's just a very different network from CTV where she wouldn't get the tabloid style line of questioning that she did during her BT hits (i.e. What do people waiting in line do if they have to use the washroom?) Imagine Lisa anchoring the 5/6pm newscast with Richard Southern's "interesting news stories of the day"... I don't see it.

September 20, 2022 12:24 am  #38

She's definitely too high-brow for City, the closest I can think of would be CBC... 

September 20, 2022 1:02 am  #39

=12pxThe CBC has settled on Adriane Arsenault and they are promoting her heavily on all platforms. She has similar credentials so there’s no room for LeFlamme there. 
=12pxGlobal can’t make a big hire like that with a sale pending.