sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2022 4:02 pm  #1

Who This Woman?

Heard Moore's Round One this morning on Newstalk 1010 and one of the contributors Reshmi Nair sounded somewhat confrontational.  Similar behavior heard on The Rush? She gets a little upset when you disagree with her point of view.

September 14, 2022 4:38 pm  #2

Re: Who This Woman?

My exact complaint about her. She treats anyone who even remotely disagrees with her with extreme hostility, has an unbearable "I know better than you-holier than thou" attitude on every issue and insults callers and guests who don't 100% take her position. That makes her a terrible host and impossible to listen to. 

I heard some of Wednesday's show regarding the hospital-long term care decision from Queen's Park and I actually agree with her side of this. But she was so obnoxious in the way she responded to it, with that imperious tone in her voice, she almost made me want to change my mind. 

Of course, she believes she's never wrong and I'm sure would accuse me - and laffin - of misogyny and racism because we criticize her. But it has nothing to do with her race, gender or anything else other than she treats everyone opposed to her rigidly fixed ideas like they're a moron - even if the other side has some legitimate points to make. And that makes her on-air style unbearable. 

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. But really, who wants to hear that hour after hour, day after day? For me the only "Rush" is to turn my dial immediately to something else when she's on. 

September 14, 2022 5:53 pm  #3

Is she airing on a commercial free program? She should. She's not doing anything to make anyone want to listen long enough to remember the products advertised. 
Such a shame.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 14, 2022 6:31 pm  #4

laffin wrote:

Heard Moore's Round One this morning on Newstalk 1010 and one of the contributors Reshmi Nair sounded somewhat confrontational.  Similar behavior heard on The Rush? She gets a little upset when you disagree with her point of view.

re: one of the contributors Reshmi Nair sounded somewhat confrontational.  

More or less confrontational than Jerry Agar?
More or less confrontational than Mark Warner?
More or less confrontational than Knia Singh?

September 14, 2022 6:54 pm  #5

She got quite snotty this afternoon when the topic was sourced from a Toronto Sun article. One of the panellists suggested that the basis of the article may not be rooted in reality (a fair assertion considering the source).

She got hostile and had to have the last word.

She would be a better host if she didn't do that.

September 14, 2022 7:03 pm  #6

No one likes a know-it-all. That's how she comes off. I'm uncomfortable listening to her.

September 14, 2022 7:13 pm  #7

More or less confrontational than Jerry Agar?
More or less confrontational than Mark Warner?

More or less confrontational than Knia Singh?

To answer your questions.....
Yes, yes and hell yes!
She's not only confrontational but, in my opinion, can be very rude.

September 15, 2022 1:30 am  #8

The choice was more or less and you answered with "yes."  
Would you like coffee or tea?  Yes.

September 15, 2022 9:54 am  #9

I'm not defending Reshmi Nair but all the negative attributes/traits noted in this thread about her apply to Agar/Warner/Singh as well.

So those who find fault with Ms. Nair should find similar fault with Agar/Warner/Singh; otherwise an unintended gender bias may be at play.

September 15, 2022 10:10 am  #10

You know, I'm not entirely sure that's true and it has nothing to do with "gender bias," because I have no issues at all with Alex Pierson, Barb DiGiulio when she was on, or any other female host. I think some of them were great and I listen to Pierson all the time and am very glad to hear her back on the air.

But rudeness is not restricted to one gender or another. Outside of Mark Warner, the others you mentioned, while they can be abrasive, at least let you make your point. Agar does not usually talk over a caller or a guest. But he will try to refute their points, once they've made them.

Nair had some official on a few weeks ago, intro'd him, let him say two sentences, then immediately launched into an attack on the guy.

He tried desperately to get a word in edgewise, but she wouldn't let him, continually talking over him until finally saying, as he again attempted to address her points and counter them, that they'd run out of time. She then somewhat cynically thanked him for coming on the show - which thanks to her, he didn't really get a chance to do - and they went to a commercial.

It was a disgraceful performance and I still have no idea what the guy's original point was or if I agreed or disagreed with it, because he never got to state his case. You gotta wonder why he was even invited on in the first place, unless it was to give her an excuse to launch into a completely undeserved rant. 

And that, I would maintain, is the big difference between the other people you cite.  

September 15, 2022 10:28 am  #11

I disagree about Jerry Agar not usually talking over a caller or guest.  He talks over callers all the time and doesn't let them finish their point.  That's why I don't think he is that good a host.  Jerry tends to get angry with people who disagree with him and gets condescending and cuts them off.  He also uses the old.."oh it looks like we lost them.." too much. Odd how the caller is no longer there after Jerry has interrupted them or talked over them.   I don't listen to The Rush so can't comment on Rashmi. 

September 22, 2022 8:17 am  #12

post moved to "A listener's Challenge" thread .. 

Last edited by g121 (September 22, 2022 8:21 am)

October 31, 2022 5:23 pm  #13

Couldn't believe what I heard on NT1010's "The Rush" on Monday. During their 4:30 PM segment, two guests started talking over Reshmi Nair as she tried to express her opinion. And before throwing to traffic she actually had the gall to say, "I just wish I could make my point without people talking over me!"

The irony of that statement, considering that's all she does anytime a guest has a different opinion from hers, wasn't lost on me. And it made me laugh out loud. She certainly didn't like the taste of her own medicine. 

October 31, 2022 5:35 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

Couldn't believe what I heard on NT1010's "The Rush" on Monday. During their 4:30 PM segment, two guests started talking over Reshmi Nair as she tried to express her opinion. And before throwing to traffic she actually had the gall to say, "I just wish I could make my point without people talking over me!"

The irony of that statement, considering that's all she does anytime a guest has a different opinion from hers, wasn't lost on me. And it made me laugh out loud. She certainly didn't like the taste of her own medicine. 

She's a lousy talk radio host.  How long before she goes MIA, too?

November 1, 2022 1:23 pm  #15

I can't imagine the ratings are very hot. It's just a boring show.

November 1, 2022 3:53 pm  #16

She was even interrupting, and yelling over her fill-in co-host, some other Scott, today, to inject nothing to the conversation.  She's brutal.

November 1, 2022 4:19 pm  #17

This is what happens when you cut back and don't have any senior people in management who can go over tapes of a show and point out problems like this. It's never corrected because there's no one to correct her. The result is what you hear on air. And it just goes on and on, as the bad habit becomes ingrained. 

November 2, 2022 3:49 pm  #18

November 2, 2022 4:54 pm  #19

betaylored wrote:

https://twitter.com/_scottreid/status/1587849498684014592?t=3XQeVvw1w2kkSBrL4CSlRw&s=19

can't decide if this is charming or not so much....

He seems quite confident, moving into his new gig.  Now, if they could only find a co-host who isn't so annoying.  Then again, he's pretty annoying, too.

Last edited by Walter (November 2, 2022 4:57 pm)

November 2, 2022 6:23 pm  #20

It’s not too bad when Mark Towehy co hosts and he doesn’t let her get away with her bullshite

Makes for good radio when you have one person on one side and one on the other

When either Scott is in the chair, just seems like it’s the two of them agreeing with each other all show, so I tune out

The Rush needs a blow up and rethink. This isn’t working

November 3, 2022 11:41 am  #21

Mr magoogain wrote:

It’s not too bad when Mark Towehy co hosts and he doesn’t let her get away with her bullshite

Makes for good radio when you have one person on one side and one on the other

When either Scott is in the chair, just seems like it’s the two of them agreeing with each other all show, so I tune out

The Rush needs a blow up and rethink. This isn’t working

It feels like the executive management at Bell Media's currently treating The Rush lineup like the farm team for their tv station. Injured reserve, heading up to play for the big club, can't trade for a steady #2 goalie. But they're not fooling anybody.

Last edited by betaylored (November 3, 2022 11:53 am)

November 13, 2022 10:46 am  #22

Attn. Reshmi Nair. Please read the following article, especially this point:

Listen. Follow the half-second rule: Pause before you respond to minimize talk-over and interruptions. Be aware that men interrupt women more often and female listeners definitely notice when it happens.

Well, not on this show they don't...

Who Talks More or Less on Your Show?

November 13, 2022 7:36 pm  #23

If she bothers you, why listen? = DUH
Or are you trying to control everything???

November 16, 2022 1:43 pm  #24

Listening to The Rush yesterday, a woman called in about the ICU overcrowding and mandating masks.  She used the term "woke".  I could hear Reshmi being triggered.  Rather than let the woman make her point, Reshmi cut her off with "Woke?  What do you mean woke?"  She made the caller describe her understanding of the term "woke" and then went ahead and snarfed.  Yes, Reshmi snarfed.  Deb Hutton remained silent.  

November 16, 2022 1:59 pm  #25

I agree with peter, do as I do when John Moore has Maureen Holloway on, as she is as drab as yesterdays dish water I turn the radio off.

As for DaCosta's "Yes, Reshmi snarfed" the definition of snarfed:

snarf
/snärf/
verbINFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
past tense: snarfed; past participle: snarfed
eat or drink quickly or greedily.
"they snarfed up frozen yogurt"

How was he aware that Reshmi was either eating or drinking.

November 16, 2022 3:37 pm  #26

Oh fer heaven's sake - she snorted, did an intake of air through her nose as if in disgust, and probably rolled her eyes t'boot though I can't prove that but it isn't hard to imagine her facial expressions when she engages with someone who triggers her.  Her smarminess comes through loud and clear. 

And for what it's worth, I'm a she. 

November 17, 2022 6:59 pm  #27

From bad to worse today. Two fill-ins - Towhey and Hutton. I immediately turned them off.

No-one needs to be subjected to that Motts redux 'dumb and dumber' horsepuckey.

November 17, 2022 7:20 pm  #28

Chrisphen wrote:

From bad to worse today. Two fill-ins - Towhey and Hutton. I immediately turned them off.

No-one needs to be subjected to that Motts redux 'dumb and dumber' horsepuckey.

Both Towhey and Hutton are vastly more tolerable than the remaining 'host'.  Put a fork in this turkey, and start again, again.

November 17, 2022 8:38 pm  #29

If it's like this now, imagine the holidays and trying to get fill ins, it'll be Abbott and Costello time. Who's on mic, What's going on with this show and Where's Waldo, er, Scotty Mac!

Last edited by betaylored (November 17, 2022 8:39 pm)

November 17, 2022 11:22 pm  #30

Walter wrote:

Put a fork in this turkey, and start again, again.

Agreed. When it launched, I was willing to give "The New Rush" every benefit of the doubt - at least they appeared to be investing in an afternoon drive duo without the same familiar hosts or pumping in province-wide syndicated content. The chemistry didn't quite "gel" but I thought, give it time - not easy to fling two new people together and expect instant rapport.

I've given up now and I'm willing to throw 1010 on in the background at almost any time. It's basically unlistenable. It hasn't improved with age and I find Nair overbearing on that program, brash with callers, and MacArthur is essentially interviewing her for her takes. (Incidentally, I quite liked Nair on her TorontoMike'd appearance - electric, intelligent, and a different dynamic entirely.)

I still applaud the experiment even if it's not working - didn't work, whatever "tense" you might ascribe to a program where the future seems unmapped with MacArthur being totally MIA/AWOL, for what, week 6?